$$$ contribution to stadiums

Remove this Banner Ad

Why would you google it Mr MCC member, check out your Annual Report & post an update acknowledging the nonsense posted above. If you cant read a set of financials just say so. Have good night at the game tonight.

& I certainly believe the members of the competing clubs have a right to a far bigger proportion of Grand Final tickets than they receive.

Perhaps you can tell us how much of the $6.50 printing fee for reserved seats is kicked back to the MCC - hopefully nothing, but the MCC is up to its armpits in the cost of a beer, a bucket of chips or a chocolate for the kids.

I enjoyed the game tonight Kwality - well the last 10 minutes anyway.
I will enjoy Grand Final day too. Too bad the MCC and AFL members dont get enough seats prorata based on who funded the stands (85%) and who turn up at the earlier finals. Once again tonight there were stacks of empty public seats.

I checked the Annual Report. All I can acknowledge is you are completely wrong once again and cannot admit it. I can read the financials which is something you are failing to grasp every year you post this tripe. At least be correct when you have a go at someone and purport to know what you are talking about. Hypocrite of the highest order. I challenge you to find the ANNUAL government contribution to the MCG - which you cannot do because it does not exist.

FACT: Government Funding for Yarra Park Management (i.e. outside the MCG stadium which was taken over from Melbourne Council) for 13/14 was $1million. Contribution to Southern Stand Upgrade $200k (not annual but a grant). MCC loan repayments in the order of $24m.

FACT:Vic Govt pumps no money ANNUALLY (which you conveniently didnt bold). They have given grants which are not ANNUAL. Big difference.

FACT: The MCC holds all the debt and built the grandstands

And what on earth does Ticketek have to do with this thread? For the record, the MCC gets nothing. I get the impression you know you are wrong and want to deflect.

I enjoyed the game tonight Kwality - well the last 10 minutes anyway.
I will enjoy Grand Final day too. Too bad the MCC and AFL members dont get enough seats prorata based on who funded the stands (85%) and who turn up at the earlier finals. Once again tonight there were stacks of empty public seats.

I checked the Annual Report. All I can acknowledge is you are completely wrong once again and cannot admit it. I can read the financials which is something you are failing to grasp every year you post this tripe. At least be correct when you have a go at someone and purport to know what you are talking about. Hypocrite of the highest order. I challenge you to find the ANNUAL government contribution to the MCG - which you cannot do because it does not exist.

FACT: Government Funding for Yarra Park Management (i.e. outside the MCG stadium which was taken over from Melbourne Council) for 13/14 was $1million. Contribution to Southern Stand Upgrade $200k (not annual but a grant). MCC loan repayments in the order of $24m.

FACT:Vic Govt pumps no money ANNUALLY (which you conveniently didnt bold). They have given grants which are not ANNUAL. Big difference.

FACT: The MCC holds all the debt and built the grandstands

And what on earth does Ticketek have to do with this thread? For the record, the MCC gets nothing. I get the impression you know you are wrong and want to deflect.

Ah its only ANNUAL that you were claiming as we all know the Vic taxpayer is a regular contributor, & again you are in denial, so let me record what the Annual Report does tell us:
Great Southern Stand refurbishment
The first half of 2012 saw vast areas of the stadium under construction within the Great Southern Stand (GSS) refurbishment. The $55 million GSS upgrade, including a $30 million contribution from the Victorian Government, involved significant upgrades to function rooms, gate entries, catering outlets and other dining facilities on the southern side of the stadium.
OPERATING RESULTS
The club recorded a net profit for the financial year ending March 31, 2013 of $17.875m, which was strongly impacted by government grants of $11.8 million for the Great Southern Stand (2012 $14mil)
YARRA PARK
A major milestone in the MCC’s master plan for Yarra Park was completed during the year with the installation of a water recycling facility (WRF) adjacent to the MCG. The $24m project has MCC ($18m) funding the WRF and the State Government providing $6m for landscaping work in Yarra Park.

& from the Financials
TRENDS IN REVENUE AND EXPENDITURE
Government grant income received from the State Government of Victoria for the Great Southern Stand Improvement Project was $9.800 million (2012: $12.000 million).

CHANGES IN CASH FLOW
There was a net decrease in consolidated cash holdings during the year totalling $20.663 million. The major changes in cash movements ...
Grant funding received from the State Government of Victoria for the Great Southern Stand Improvement Project was $9.800 million, compared with $12.000 million in the prior year.

I would not have thought any fair thinking soul would deny the above constitutes cash flows to the Cricket Club every year of $ millions but if indeed you are into weasel words, go the MCG Trust Annual Report:
The Trust earned a net result of $5,162,000 in 2013/14 (before contributions to the Melbourne Cricket Club (MCC / Club) for redevelopment debt repayment purposes and including the $1,000,000 State Government grant for landscaping upgrade in Yarra Park) compared with $6,033,000 in 2012/13. Payments to the Club totalled $5,070,000 (2012/13, $5,960,000).
At 31 March 2014 the Trust held assets valued at over $196 million (2013 $177 million) including $1.2 million in cash and term deposits. Land asset values increased during this year as a result of a revaluation of the MCG land in accordance with the requirements of a new accounting standard and an indexing of the value of the Yarra Park land to reflect the movement in values of land in the East Melbourne area.
The Trust’s income primarily consists of ground rental from the MCC. The Trust then contributes most of its net income to the MCC to assist in the repayment of ground redevelopment debt. The rent charged is determined in accordance with the ground lease under which the MCG is leased to the MCC until 2042.

Whats next, the MCG Trust is not the taxpayer, nah .... the MCC are into every taxpayer for a dollar. Maybe $5mil a year is pocket money in your world?

Ticketing:
I'm happy to hear the MCC is not a net beneficiary of $6.50 print your ticket debacle, because it earns, earns, earns/rips off the eating habits of footy fans.

Once again you are off on a tangent.

Your quote "As a Victorian taxpayer I find it appalling that anyone could be unaware the Vic taxpayer pumps $ millions into the MCC each year to reduce debt & regularly pumps $millions into redevelopment of the MCG - where have you been bomber6?"

The Stands at the MCG are 85% funded by AFL/MCC. One off contributions to the northern stand construction and a new paint job for the southern stand ($30m of $55m - $25m from MCC which dont even use it) are not annual contributions which you originally stated. The vast majority is not funded by the Victorian taxpayer (which MCC members are too). No one has ever denied the Goverment hasnt chipped in - they only started in 2004 after fully funding other sporting venues around town (AAMI Park and Tennis Centre). Not one cent of the original GSS was provided through government funding. Only about 20% of the Ponsford and Olympic Stand upgrades were funded by the government. Yes they contributed more than 50% of the GSS refurb but those costs are tiny in comparison to building the whole thing.

Yarra Park isnt the MCG stadium either so you can leave that alone. The thread is "contributions to stadiums" not "contributions to the parks outside stadiums".

Where in the MCG Trust report do you see annual taxpayer contributions? As you are aware, money comes in from MCC ground rental and goes back to the MCC through distribution under the contract. This isnt going into consolidated revenue and distributed by the government. The contract until 2042 is beneficial to all parties - Vic Govt, MCG Trust and MCC. If you believe that a contract between MCG Trust and MCC means taxpayer funding annually then that is your opinion... but it is not correct. The MCG Trust has a sole purpose of managing and upgrading the ground at its discretion - no it is not the taxpayer.

FACT: The Govt pumps no taxpayer dollars to MCC annually but has started recently to chip in to one off projects (twice in history).
FACT: The Govt has chipped in a measly 15% since the full stadium upgrade began in 1991.

Last edited:

As a Victorian taxpayer I find it appalling that anyone could be unaware the Vic taxpayer pumps $ millions into the MCC each year to reduce debt & regularly pumps $millions into redevelopment of the MCG - where have you been bomber6?
Spotless Stadium won't be getting an upgrade.

ANZ Stadium have released their masterplan which includes a roof, doesn't mean it will happen. Something needs to give there though otherwise the government will get back a run down asset in 2031.

Allianz hasn't had a dime spent on it in 25 years and desperately needs an overhaul.

It's fair to say that all the balls are in the air on how the NSW government proceeds with stadia, the only certainty being that the solution will cost a fortune.
its in NSW the state and federal government will

Your quote "As a Victorian taxpayer I find it appalling that anyone could be unaware the Vic taxpayer pumps $ millions into the MCC each year to reduce debt & regularly pumps $millions into redevelopment of the MCG - where have you been bomber6?"

The Stands at the MCG are 85% funded by AFL/MCC. One off contributions to the northern stand construction and a new paint job for the southern stand ($30m of $55m - $25m from MCC which dont even use it) are not annual contributions which you originally stated. The vast majority is not funded by the Victorian taxpayer (which MCC members are too). No one has ever denied the Goverment hasnt chipped in - they only started in 2004 after fully funding other sporting venues around town (AAMI Park and Tennis Centre). Not one cent of the original GSS was provided through government funding. Only about 20% of the Ponsford and Olympic Stand upgrades were funded by the government. Yes they contributed more than 50% of the GSS refurb but those costs are tiny in comparison to building the whole thing.

Yarra Park isnt the MCG stadium either so you can leave that alone. The thread is "contributions to stadiums" not "contributions to the parks outside stadiums".

Where in the MCG Trust report do you see annual taxpayer contributions? As you are aware, money comes in from MCC ground rental and goes back to the MCC through distribution under the contract. This isnt going into consolidated revenue and distributed by the government. The contract until 2042 is beneficial to all parties - Vic Govt, MCG Trust and MCC. If you believe that a contract between MCG Trust and MCC means taxpayer funding annually then that is your opinion... but it is not correct.

FACT: The Govt pumps no taxpayer dollars to MCC annually but has started recently to chip in to one off projects (twice in history).
FACT: The Govt has chipped in a measly 15% since the full stadium upgrade began in 1991.
since the great southern stand has been built, approx cost 150 million and the northern stand 460 million, nearly all that money has come from the the private identities in being MCG trust & MCC.

its almost nothing from the vic government. when you consider the importance of the MCG to Melbourne & the annual events it pulls in & international exposure for the city.

when you consider they seem to never stop spending & endless upgrades on the tennis center percent. of the latest up grades stage 1 $363million & stage 2 338million http://www.tennis.com.au/about-tennis-australia/melbourne-park-redevelopment
the venue opened in 1988 & had a lot of renovations in 1996 & had continued renovations ever since, to host a tennis tournament, & a number of concerts & conferences.

Where in the MCG Trust report do you see annual taxpayer contributions? As you are aware, money comes in from MCC ground rental and goes back to the MCC through distribution under the contract. This isnt going into consolidated revenue and distributed by the government. The contract until 2042 is beneficial to all parties - Vic Govt, MCG Trust and MCC. If you believe that a contract between MCG Trust and MCC means taxpayer funding annually then that is your opinion... but it is not correct. The MCG Trust has a sole purpose of managing and upgrading the ground at its discretion - no it is not the taxpayer.

The quote from the MCG Trust was responding directly to an other post & the Yarra Park reference was in the text. I was aware that taxpayer involvement had delivered the MCC a surplus from Yarra Park but chose to ignore it as it could be used by anyone to dash off at a tangent.

Yes, people have denied the taxpayer kicked in & its to the MCC.

Given the ownership of the MCG Trust it is my opinion its clear the taxpayer is the beneficial owner. Every year since last century the MCC have had their debt reduced courtesy of the Trust, and you don't see that as an annual gift - your need to refer to the contract is ...

My comments are in the today, & are relevant to the discussion on contributions to stadiums across the country. Perhaps you need to direct posters to reflect the history, because its a this century phenomenon arguably turbocharged by the Sydney Olympics. Adelaide Ovals success has thrown out a challenge, its history is irrelevant. The Grand Prix has put funding of events front & centre.

I support taxpayer involvement in the MCG but not via the MCC. They manage the facility & I remain cynical of the extensions to management agreement without going to tender. For every dollar contributed by the taxpayer I would look to see the taxpayers rewarded thru increased Grand Final seating to the competing clubs with MCC seating reduced accordingly for that occasion, one only event, the Grand Final.

Last edited:
The quote from the MCG Trust was responding directly to an other post & the Yarra Park reference was in the text. I was aware that taxpayer involvement had delivered the MCC a surplus from Yarra Park but chose to ignore it as it could be used by anyone to dash off at a tangent.

Yes, people have denied the taxpayer kicked in & its to the MCC.

Given the ownership of the MCG Trust it is my opinion its clear the taxpayer is the beneficial owner. Every year since last century the MCC have had their debt reduced courtesy of the Trust, and you don't see that as an annual gift - your need to refer to the contract is ...

My comments are in the today, & are relevant to the discussion on contributions to stadiums across the country. Perhaps you need to direct posters to reflect the history, because its a this century phenomenon arguably turbocharged by the Sydney Olympics. Adelaide Ovals success has thrown out a challenge, its history is irrelevant. The Grand Prix has put funding of events front & centre.

I support taxpayer involvement in the MCG but not via the MCC. They manage the facility & I remain cynical of the extensions to management agreement without going to tender. For every dollar contributed by the taxpayer I would look to see the taxpayers rewarded thru increased Grand Final seating to the competing clubs with MCC seating reduced accordingly for that occasion, one only event, the Grand Final.

I will repeat this for you. The MCG Trust is a government appointed board to oversee the management and upgrade of the ground. It has nothing to do with taxpayer dollars. The money paid by the MCC is partially paid back so that the MCG trust performs its charter.

For every dollar contributed by the taxpayer, i.e. 20% of the Olympic/Ponsford rebuild in 2002-2006, 0% of the GSS build in 1991 and around 55% of the new cosmetic refurb of the GSS in the last few years, the AFL and MCC have committed far more. The Government have one of the gretaest stadiums in the world and have contributed very little financially. Taxpayers prorata since 1991 have funded about 15% or so. AFL and MCC have committed 85% but get about 49% of GF seats. MCC and AFL members are also taxpayers. Clearly the taxpayer is getting a far greater allocation than they should based on your method of Funding = GF ticket allocation.

I might add that I have attended two finals over the last 2 Friday nights. Take one guess where the vast majority of empty seats were. I'll give you a hint - it wasnt the MCC or AFL members stands. You seem to want the public to just show up on GF day and be rewarded for not attending during the previous weeks, all at the expense of the people that have paid for the stand and attend the earlier weeks of the finals.

I will repeat this for you. The MCG Trust is a government appointed board to oversee the management and upgrade of the ground. It has nothing to do with taxpayer dollars. The money paid by the MCC is partially paid back so that the MCG trust performs its charter.

For every dollar contributed by the taxpayer, i.e. 20% of the Olympic/Ponsford rebuild in 2002-2006, 0% of the GSS build in 1991 and around 55% of the new cosmetic refurb of the GSS in the last few years, the AFL and MCC have committed far more. The Government have one of the gretaest stadiums in the world and have contributed very little financially. Taxpayers prorata since 1991 have funded about 15% or so. AFL and MCC have committed 85% but get about 49% of GF seats. MCC and AFL members are also taxpayers. Clearly the taxpayer is getting a far greater allocation than they should based on your method of Funding = GF ticket allocation.

I might add that I have attended two finals over the last 2 Friday nights. Take one guess where the vast majority of empty seats were. I'll give you a hint - it wasnt the MCC or AFL members stands. You seem to want the public to just show up on GF day and be rewarded for not attending during the previous weeks, all at the expense of the people that have paid for the stand and attend the earlier weeks of the finals.

This government that appointed the board is the taxpayer, but clearly you don't agree, & its pointless to continue that discussion. As for the history, I've never disputed it but you go on & on & on, its as relevant as the history of the Gabba or Adelaide Oval & its not being argued by anyone.

So lets get to the crux of our difference, you want MCC members to benefit from taxpayer largesse, I want the benefit to go to the members of the competing clubs. Indeed I remain cynical of those who join a cricket club to get a seat at the footy in preference to those who join a footy that earns it way to Grand Final day & cant get a seat.

This government that appointed the board is the taxpayer, but clearly you don't agree, & its pointless to continue that discussion. As for the history, I've never disputed it but you go on & on & on, its as relevant as the history of the Gabba or Adelaide Oval & its not being argued by anyone.

So lets get to the crux of our difference, you want MCC members to benefit from taxpayer largesse, I want the benefit to go to the members of the competing clubs. Indeed I remain cynical of those who join a cricket club to get a seat at the footy in preference to those who join a footy that earns it way to Grand Final day & cant get a seat.

You still dont get it. The taxpayer contributes nothing annually to the MCC nor MCG Trust.
The history of the ground is truly relevant - and is the reason why the MCG hosts the Grand Final. I remain cynical of those that have a three game membership, dont attend weeks 1-3 of the finals and then complain about GF tickets. Why should they get preference over those that paid for most of the grandstands and attended throughout the year, especially weeks 1-3 of finals.
For the record, I am an MCC and Collingwood member. I will also go to Boxing Day, most Stars games, World Cup opener vs England as well as the Final, NSW v Qld Rugby League and International Champions Cup

You still dont get it. The taxpayer contributes nothing annually to the MCC nor MCG Trust.
The history of the ground is truly relevant - and is the reason why the MCG hosts the Grand Final. I remain cynical of those that have a three game membership, dont attend weeks 1-3 of the finals and then complain about GF tickets. Why should they get preference over those that paid for most of the grandstands and attended throughout the year, especially weeks 1-3 of finals.
For the record, I am an MCC and Collingwood member. I will also go to Boxing Day, most Stars games, World Cup opener vs England as well as the Final, NSW v Qld Rugby League and International Champions Cup

Fair dinkum, you aren't really an MCC member, self interest doesn't feature in your scribblings in this $$$ contribution to the stadiums thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back