Conversation starters over Christmas lunch/dinner

Mentioning JZ to get a healthy conversation happening brings to attention that way back in 2009 - when this thread began - the laptop was the hardware item of choice and it would have been inappropriate to bring it to the table for Christmas lunch or dinner with the family. Not because it'd be rude (because it wouldn't), but because space at the table is usually limited and someone might spill a drink or a jug of gravy on it.

Well 4 years later and problem solved - iPhones and iPads, Androids, tablets. Sit in your chair, eating and drinking and posting on BigFooty in relative safety.

The occasional nod to the relos is all you need to avoid them calling you ''rude''.

And if others at the table are also online, you can send them emails and text messages. You might even chuck in a few tweets.

Should be the best Christmas lunch/dinner ever!

RoOGrrrl

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor
May 18, 2013
Truth or Consequences
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mentioning JZ to get a healthy conversation happening brings to attention that way back in 2009 - when this thread began - the laptop was the hardware item of choice and it would have been inappropriate to bring it to the table for Christmas lunch or dinner with the family. Not because it'd be rude (because it wouldn't), but because space at the table is usually limited and someone might spill a drink or a jug of gravy on it.

Well 4 years later and problem solved - iPhones and iPads, Androids, tablets. Sit in your chair, eating and drinking and posting on BigFooty in relative safety.

The occasional nod to the relos is all you need to avoid them calling you ''rude''.

And if others at the table are also online, you can send them emails and text messages. You might even chuck in a few tweets.

We could all have a virtual online-Christmas dinner together!

Bon-bon party hats mandatory. :cool:

Aug 13, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NORTH! 2016,2017,2018.

Hahaha well said. Most of mine I see once a year and they don't like footy (any sport), good music, good shows/movies so I can't be bothered. The foods good and I don't like to talk whilst eating. Every now and then they may receive a nod or well timed laugh along. Just enough for me to leave with "good to see you again", and not too much for them to want to catch up throughout the year.

I wish I'd had some * supporters around at Christmas... would have been plenty of interesting conversation lol

Are you happy with *hird implementing a systemic doping program at *?

That would be a fine conversation starter.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Oct 7, 2003
Lubyanka Square
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Red Devil Sport Club
I wish I'd had some * supporters around at Christmas... would have been plenty of interesting conversation lol

My BiL was a * supporter but recently has lost interest in football:p

Boxing day around the barbie i dropped something similar.

Not a word.This was a guy crowing all over when Hird was appointed.

At ASADA's pace, you'll be able to give it an airing next Christmas, Blackshadow.

Then there's the tennis. Will Sammy Stosur finally get past the fourth round of the Oz Open? Will Bernard Tomic defect to some Eastern or Central European country after he gets bundled out in the first round. No rigged easybeat draw for Bernie this year. He's been a naughty boy and Tennis Australia doesn't love him anymore.

Well it looks like after last nights less than well received withdrawal from his much anticipated thrashing at the hands of young Nadal, this might well be an attractive option for "our" boy Bernie.

Aug 13, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NORTH! 2016,2017,2018.
One year on . Any new conversation starters over Christmas lunch/ dinner this year ?:)
Nope, I've left my family behind. Who needs conversation when you've got delicious food. Only communication I'll have is a nod to the mrs after I take a bite into some roast spuds.

The toughest decision will be which North game to watch whilst eating my full English in the morning. Most likely the * game. Geelong, Hawks, port and Richmond will be in with a shot though

One year on . Any new conversation starters over Christmas lunch/ dinner this year ?:)

Before the guests get too plastered (and potentially violent, even for Christmas) you might invite a bit of sensible discussion about Tony Abbott's prospects of getting a second term as PM and who might replace him as leader of the Liberal party.

Based on the success of Horace's cakes/pies thread, a favourite cakes and pies discussion might be a good and less controversial discussion and possibly encourage some of the participants to engage in a bake-off.

Best to have the bake-off on some other occasion though. Who can eat after Christmas lunch or dinner?

As you sit at the table logged in to BigFooty on your phone, laptop or whatever, you can also discuss some of the threads. Just go: here's an interesting post by .....He reckons that ......That'll be a sure winner.:)

IschenkoUBeauty

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Somebody who drinks a lot would be good to have at my Christmas dinner. Then I wouldn't be the only one making a dick of themselves.

Back