Cooney, Chappy or BJ

Remove this Banner Ad

1. Chappy
2. BJ
3. Cooney

If all stayed uninjured through their careers though, you would probably reverse that order.

1. BJ
2. Chappy
3. Cooney
All very close. I like BJ and Chappy coz they have the mongrel in them. the rougher it is the better they perform

kidding surely? his definatly one of the better players of the last decade but I can't remember seeing him be hard at it consistently..

Goddard is a super competitive clutch performer.
no dout.. one of my fav players and IMO one of the best field kicks I've ever seen. but having a bit of mongrel, nope.. all afl players are courageous, willing to sacrifice their body ect. but IMO that part of goddards game is very forced and definatly doesn't come naturally.. it rarely does with silky players.

Looking at the stats of the overall careers makes the decision pretty easy - has to be Chappy as hes the most decorated.

Cooney: age - 29, games - 219 ave disposals - 21.8, tackles - 2.7, marks - 3.9, goals - 0.8.
highlights: all australian 2008, brownlow medal 2008

Goddard: age - 29, games - 247 ave disposals - 21.9, tackles - 2.8, marks - 6.3, goals - 0.6
highlights: all australian 2009 & 2010, best & fairest 2013

Chappy: age - 33, games - 271, ave disposals - 19.9, tackles - 3.5, marks - 4.8, goals - 1.3
highlights: norm smith medal 2009, all australian 2009 & 2010, 3 time AFL premiership player (2007, 2009, 2011)

That said Chappy is 4 years older than Cooney & BJ so probably has the least time left, so if I were to pick 1 now it would be BJ as hes still playing great consistent footy.
Cooney the X factor now - if his knees hold up he could be a great pick up for us, and his 2008 year where he won the brownlow was unbelievable
All great players we are lucky to have them on the list

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BJ had the highest peak - he was arguably the best player in the league during 2010 - but I think Chappy's body of work is better over the course of a number of years. Cooney's best was great but he's been a mere shadow of his former self for so long that it is difficult to ignore.

BJ had the highest peak - he was arguably the best player in the league during 2010 - but I think Chappy's body of work is better over the course of a number of years. Cooney's best was great but he's been a mere shadow of his former self for so long that it is difficult to ignore.

Cooney msy never have replicated his brownlow year but his form in 2013 was extremely productive.

I'm picking the guy with 3 premiership medals. (and a Norm Smith)

Outside observer from the darkside here but definitely jealous of these three pickups even given their age they are great players and champions in their own right.

From Essendons point of view?
I'd take Cooney as the injury free and Beej as the 18 year old, Imagine and injury free Cooney running around with Watson, Heppell and Zaharakis ?

In general?
Without injuries:
1. Cooney
2. BJ
3. Chapman (can't remember him being seriously injured ever, could be wrong)

As their careers turned out?
1. Chapman - can't go past 3 premierships
2. Cooney - never played in a granny but did win a brownlow had had a couple of years in the top echelon of the comp
3. BJ - a great player don't get me wrong just not as good as the other two. I think 95% of players would trade their careers for his though he is a superstar.

Outside observer from the darkside here but definitely jealous of these three pickups even given their age they are great players and champions in their own right.

From Essendons point of view?
I'd take Cooney as the injury free and Beej as the 18 year old, Imagine and injury free Cooney running around with Watson, Heppell and Zaharakis ?

In general?
Without injuries:
1. Cooney
2. BJ
3. Chapman (can't remember him being seriously injured ever, could be wrong)

As their careers turned out?
1. Chapman - can't go past 3 premierships
2. Cooney - never played in a granny but did win a brownlow had had a couple of years in the top echelon of the comp
3. BJ - a great player don't get me wrong just not as good as the other two. I think 95% of players would trade their careers for his though he is a superstar.
BJ has had a far better career than Coondog. How easily people are swayed by a Brownlow. You could argue that Cooney had more upside injury-free but Beej has had a stella career whilst Cooney has laboured through about 3/4 of his.

As a big game match-winner Chappy has it over BJ marginally.

Did I just see on 10 news Cooney hobbling around with a heavily bandaged calf?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back