Cory Bernardi

Remove this Banner Ad

no of course the man should also take responsibility, but I live in the real world , women I know would screw at a toss of a coin, and if they cant take prevention, or don't want to , and rely on abortion as birth control, then I have no sympathy, as a penalty carry the child for 9 months , and it helps all those people who badly want children but cant have them

Sounds like I'm moving in the wrong social set. We've got Gus's latte sipping inner-city dwelling leftie types who are giving it away and using abortion as their preferred method of contraception, and Ross's women who "screw at the toss of a coin" and "rely on abortion as birth control". Meanwhile, in middle class neighbourhoods we hubbies share jokes about "can't remember the last time" and count down the days until our birthday / Christmas.

Stupid question I'm sure, but these women who are just gagging for it and love to have abortions... why don't they just go on the pill? I can't imagine that they're too concerned about its potential health issues if they're prepared to have unprotected sex with anybody they meet.

So "God" is therefore largest perpetrator of abortions (via miscarriage) and is therefore the world's greatest mass murderer?

popcorn.gif

What? So it's ok to murder people because some people die of natural causes?

Great argument :rolleyes:

And what has "God" got to do with it?

I just suggest you may want to observe what goes on in some areas of the community , I lived their in a country town , if you knew what occurred it may open your eyes a bit, to real life, young girls hiding pregnancy till they have the child on the bathroom floor, even one had it in the toilet , young ladies who tell guys to form a queue at parties, young teens seeing how many boys they can blow that night, who got the highest count , girls who on differing Saturday nights change partner that shes been through everyone in town and starts again etc etc, its not all like the pretty ,middle class where your from , girl meets boy in throws of passion forgets birth control, we feel sorry for her , oh its their first mistake , abortion is okay ,

Even a full term child is unviable without adult intervention.

Precisely - so does the requirement for adult/medical intervention mean it's ok to kill full terms?

That's basically what the argument that abortion is ok because babies aren't viable in the first trimester is based upon..

You may need to redefine life at 12 weeks, although if you're willing to foot the bill for a whole life of full time care I urge and encourage you to continue your fools errand.;)

It's only a matter of time until we have artificial wombs that can safely take implants from 12 weeks - or earlier... When that happens, will we still be able to justify abortions at 12 weeks? That's my point..

Awesome. So ten months after "no abortions" is implemented everyone who fell pregnant gives birth. The entire domestic demand for adoptions (and then some) is satisfied in the first month, so what will the Government do with the remaining 60,000 babies (or whatever number you want to believe) that arrive every month? I guess they can all be placed into the care of the Catholic church, right?

No, that's just your opinion.

An equally valid opinion is that life doesn't begin until a child is between 7 and 14 months old, because before that time they have a level of sentience below that of other animals we don't consider to have personhood.

It's not even remotely as simple as you want to paint it.

Again.. so under the terms of your "equally valid opinion", why isn't it ok to kill babies up to when they're 7-14 months?

Now - I'm happy to admit that it's not even remotely as simple as I'm painting it in this and my other posts.. It's a terribly difficult decision for anyone to make. I feel sorry for anyone who has been through it, particularly in the even more challenging circumstances such as rape, possible disability and so on.

I'm also very open to the argument that the baby is still entirely part of the Mother's body for the whole of the pregnancy and that they don't effectively become a separate entity until birth.

It's a bloody complicated issue and will only become more so when we do inevitably develop technology like artificial wombs and can save babies earlier and earlier.

For that very reason, it annoys me when people talk about this and smugly dismiss pro-lifers as "God-bothering nuts", misogynists, uneducated, simpletons etc. There's a perfectly reasonable, logical argument to being pro-life.

If anything I think it's more logically challenging to justify why abortion is ok at 12 weeks and wrong at 20.

That's my two cents anyway.

Awesome. So ten months after "no abortions" is implemented everyone who fell pregnant gives birth. The entire domestic demand for adoptions (and then some) is satisfied in the first month, so what will the Government do with the remaining 60,000 babies (or whatever number you want to believe) that arrive every month? I guess they can all be placed into the care of the Catholic church, right?

No, you raise them as a slave labour force to build infrastructure and to be used as soldiers to invade our neighbours and create the 1st Great Australian Empire.

Only issue is finding a way to feed them (and all those pesky human rights laws)

I just suggest you may want to observe what goes on in some areas of the community , I lived their in a country town , if you knew what occurred it may open your eyes a bit, to real life, young girls hiding pregnancy till they have the child on the bathroom floor, even one had it in the toilet , young ladies who tell guys to form a queue at parties, young teens seeing how many boys they can blow that night, who got the highest count , girls who on differing Saturday nights change partner that shes been through everyone in town and starts again etc etc, its not all like the pretty ,middle class where your from , girl meets boy in throws of passion forgets birth control, we feel sorry for her , oh its their first mistake , abortion is okay ,

Their body, their choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Change in Bernardi topic but.. "We know the statistics - that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime, nine times more likely to drop out of schools and 20 times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioural problems, or run away from home, or become teenage parents themselves. And the foundations of our community are weaker because of it.''

Change in Bernardi topic but.. "We know the statistics - that children who grow up without a father are five times more likely to live in poverty and commit crime, nine times more likely to drop out of schools and 20 times more likely to end up in prison. They are more likely to have behavioural problems, or run away from home, or become teenage parents themselves. And the foundations of our community are weaker because of it.''

It's not just the words, but the man behind it - including what he's said before. This is the bloke who has said gay marriage could be a slippery slope to bestiality, a far cry from a black man concerned at his brothers not manning up.

Does he supply references or is it just anecdotal evidence to support his bigotry?

Again.. so under the terms of your "equally valid opinion", why isn't it ok to kill babies up to when they're 7-14 months?

Why indeed!

The argument is usually used to support animal rights, but it is just as readily turned around the way I did. "Life begins at conception" requires you to define life - good luck with that, because no one else has yet.

corey is just buying his rote talking points from y'america and tea party and grover norqvist et al.

as if he is original in what he is saying, he is all beholden to his influences from america

To be fair, he doesn't really hide that.

Paul Sheehan has a good point yesterday - bit rich to criticise Bernardi's book when you haven't read it.

The most comprehensive analysis of three decades of data.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2013/03/18/peds.2013-0377

Many studies have demonstrated that children's well-being is affected much more by their relationships with their parents, their parents' sense of competence and security, and the presence of social and economic support for the family than by the gender or the sexual orientation of their parents.

Because marriage strengthens families and, in so doing, benefits children’s development, children should not be deprived of the opportunity for their parents to be married.

Paul Sheehan has a good point yesterday - bit rich to criticise Bernardi's book when you haven't read it.

I guess that between the title of the tome, the excerpts that have been released and the precis offered on Amazon, there's enough information available for people to form a view about the book, its contents and its author? It's not like the 'critics' have been so brazen as to poke fun at his writing style ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back