Health Coronavirus 2020 / Worldwide (Stats live update in OP) Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah fair enough you could fake the details.

Like they would look at the name on the ticket I guess, but unless I was trying to board as Amanda they wouldn't think much of it. Though in the age of socially constructed gender, maybe they wouldn't think much of Amanda either.

He's acting like you had to go through immigration to get into WA pre-COVID.

Why did you delete your post? I've flown interstate plenty of times and asked for ID most of the time, to and from Perth. Maybe I just have a face that belongs on a no-fly list.

Why did you delete your post? I've flown interstate plenty of times and asked for ID most of the time, to and from Perth. Maybe I just have a face that belongs on a no-fly list.

I thought it was a bit of a cheap shot, was a bit heated on the matter so deleted it. Who is asking you for ID? I have never once been asked to show ID flying interstate, maaaaaaybe when ordering a beer when I was younger. Seriously who is asking to see your ID?

Please read the rest of the post.

Colin Barnett would have also enjoyed 90% approval ratings if he won the last election and did the same thing that McGowan did when COVID arrived. It's part of the WA DNA to rebuff any attempts by the eastern states to lecture us - especially when doing our own thing has led to proven success.
We can agree to disagree on border controls for Covid. That’s not what I’m criticising here.

I’m criticising a premier of an Australian state for wanting to bring in measures affecting open borders between Australian states with the ridiculous excuse being it stops drugs. The fact that Western Australians lap that kind of crap up is dangerous. It’s completely different to health measures implemented in a global pandemic. You could already argue about the authoritarian nature of it during the pandemic. Doing it to stop other things you don’t want minus a pandemic is absurd.

You could stop all sorts of crimes with similar measures. Why don’t we? Because Australians don’t elect to live in that sort of country.

This is seriously like something America speaks of doing when it comes to Mexico. The difference being WA is a part of Australia, not some separate country.

There should be minimal barriers to preventing Aussies travelling around their own country. Of course people will lap up s**t like this. Anything brought in to impact drug or violence related crime gets a lot of people excited. Just look at the war on drugs.

In Sydney Mike Baird did a brilliant job of ruining Sydney’s nightlife under the guise of “saving” lives because a few kids got king hit. Didn’t matter that it was ridiculously over the top. In the end it probably saved a few lives. Some oldies and fearful people lapped it up. But it also unnecessarily impacted a whole lot of Australians for no good reason. Same sort of crap here.

Then we also have to consider that drugs can be made locally and smuggled some other way like always. But yeah border restrictions like WA is some foreign nation is totally justifiable.

Last edited:

But apparently this bloke isn’t drunk on power
Perhaps a symptom of Covid is losing your mind?
Imagine flying over to watch the footy one weekend on short notice and forgetting to fill out a pass and being turned away.

If people from the eastern states are forced to have to fill in what in essence is a Visa application they're just going to travel to SE Asia.
The Eastern states could reciprocate. We could go all papers please on WA residents.

Last edited:
And people are mocked for being concerned about these politicians not rescinding these emergency powers given to them.

Prime example.

I find it interesting that my only worry through this pandemic is how much power politicians have had over our lives, not covid itself.

I thought it was a bit of a cheap shot, was a bit heated on the matter so deleted it. Who is asking you for ID? I have never once been asked to show ID flying interstate, maaaaaaybe when ordering a beer when I was younger. Seriously who is asking to see your ID?

Airline staff. It's been reduced now that they're encouraging online and kiosk check ins, but I have been asked to show a drivers license multiple times. Obviously I ain't getting asked by immigration.

That's a worry to me. Abuse of the leeway states have gotten during Covid.

Will he try it on as a health measure and thus say it is constitutional?

Potential problems for the grey nomads on the long lap trying to get into Kununurra before nightfall if their papers are not in order. Might need a Western Australia consulate in Katherine to ensure clear passage. Purchase of Swan Lager T Shirt optional

ETA - I've not been keeping up on my drug mule monthly journals. According to WA Premier, the drugs flow right to left. Are we totally sure that's true?

From three weeks ago:
... Governments have been given a large helping of authoritarianism and love the taste. No way are they going to give up that power - even if it's retained "just in case" another pandemic comes along. And we, as a population, have proven that we will do as we are told and put up with any draconian measures as long as there is enough fear injected via the media.
... talking with my son this morning, the world he is moving into as a young adult is changing before his eyes and will never recover.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was already being done pre-COVID. We even searched you if there was a reasonable suspicion of drugs and asked you if you carried certain produce - with sniffer dogs to verify.

I admire your principle but in reality this was not true in WA.
This is so bewildering off base, even for you, I can't not believe that your father actually is the premier. In no way, shape, or form did people have to fill in any form to travel around Australia.

Tasmania has a sniffer dog at all arrival ports and has had for a long, long time. That's in no way even remotely close to making people apply to enter the state.

This is so bewildering off base, even for you, I can't not believe that your father actually is the premier. In no way, shape, or form did people have to fill in any form to travel around Australia.

Tasmania has a sniffer dog at all arrival ports and has had for a long, long time. That's in no way even remotely close to making people apply to enter the state.

I thought I was clear in stating or implying that people having to provide details to move in and out of WA and being stopped at border points, along with being searched, was not unusual. Already said early on that I think this latest proposed measure's a stretch but I was hounded down for not being angry enough.

I'm flattered you are a devoted follower of my posting history, but it does remind me this is just an anonymous internet message board for AFL fans and I've spent too much time here in this thread. Third most posts. I'm a sucker for punishment I guess, I'm certainly not getting validation any more.

Peace out :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:

I thought I was clear in stating or implying that people having to provide details to move in and out of WA and being stopped at border points, along with being searched, was not unusual. Already said early on that I think this latest proposed measure's a stretch but I was hounded down for not being angry enough.

I'm flattered you are a devoted follower of my posting history, but it does remind me this is just an anonymous internet message board for AFL fans and I've spent too much time here in this thread. Third most posts. I'm a sucker for punishment I guess, I'm certainly not getting validation any more.

Peace out :rainbow: :rainbow: :rainbow:
I assume you're referring to checks at road borders? For air travel I've had no differences for entering/leaving WA than for any other state.

It's >10 years since I crossed into WA via road but I don't remember any checks/questions beyond fruit/veg. I don’t even recall them taking our details, but may be my sketchy memory.

The ease at which people end up defending authoritarianism is quite disturbing.

Like I said weeks ago this will end up similar to post 9/11. Measures brought in that end up never going away.
Yep, and everyone just lapped up the state of emergency powers and decried sovereign citizens.

Like I said weeks ago this will end up similar to post 9/11. Measures brought in that end up never going away.

We have fallen into a manufactured place where the choice is safety or freedom. You can’t have both. And If I scare you enough you will thank me for keeping you safe and grant me even more power to keep you that way.

Its M Night Shyamalan’s The Village being played out in real life.

I actually think the WA Premier has pushed too far here and found the tipping point. Has quickly backed down after the push back and will dial it back a bit. That being said, an astounding amount of people are happy to give away their natural freedoms in order to prevent, something, I don't know, drugs? Pretty insular to believe drugs are only made elsewhere.

I actually think the WA Premier has pushed too far here and found the tipping point. Has quickly backed down after the push back and will dial it back a bit. That being said, an astounding amount of people are happy to give away their natural freedoms in order to prevent, something, I don't know, drugs? Pretty insular to believe drugs are only made elsewhere.
Surely stopping the chemicals at the border would be more effective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back