Analysis Correct use of Sub?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ballantyne as sub?
First week of the finals maybe?

I don't have a problem with DeBoer as the sub (fast plus crunching tackles) but I actually thought Sutcliffe was our best sub whilst that rule has been in and I am not convinced that I have ever had more impact as being on-field all day.

Ideally it would be someone who can play a full game if there is an early injury. I think it's fine to use Weller or Langdon as a sub against s**t teams like Brisbane, St Kilda or Melbourne. But you don't want them as sub against a good team.

It's pretty obvious that Ross doesn't view it as an impact role, just a replacement role. He usually just picks a team as if it was still an old school best 22, and then puts the last picked small as sub. With a bit of wiggle room for rotating it through a few different bottom enders (Suban/DeBoer/Crozier), or maybe a young guy against a s**t side. Though he could do the latter a bit more.

I've heard on a number of occasions RTB saying he doesn't particularly care for the sub rule; so maybe the man who plays sub is literally the most fringe player fighting for his spot.

On another note - De Boer was massive for us in the first 8 rounds, didn't do much with the ball but he shut down so many contests and created so many positive turn overs for us. I think he's more key to be rested than a number of other players in the squad and could really play a major role come finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back