Cotters - 2013 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of interest, had Josh Kelly's Dad played another 40 games for North he'd be eligible for f/s

Would we have been able to claim both him and McDonald? Teams would surely have bid a 1st rounder for both ... what's the go there?

Out of interest, had Josh Kelly's Dad played another 40 games for North he'd be eligible for f/s

Would we have been able to claim both him and McDonald? Teams would surely have bid a 1st rounder for both ... what's the go there?
Yeah it would've been the same as when the Bulldogs got Wallis and then Liberatore in 2010.

Yeah it would've been the same as when the Bulldogs got Wallis and then Liberatore in 2010.

Cheers. That would have been sweet - McDonald and Kelly in the same draft for cheapies.

Would've been huge. Ah well. McDonald will probably be a bargain on his own.

Yeah, he's EXACTLY what we need too. EXACTLY.

Sin City is correct.

Kind of sucks to look back and realize you could have picked up another potential top 5 draftee extremely cheap if his dad played another 40 games for you.

Either way you's will still be wrapped to get McDonald with your first rounder.

Great stuff Cotter. I think Sheed will go a fair bit higher than that. Looking forward to seeing him smash it at Champs. If he lasts till our pick I hope we snap him up quickly.

Thanks Tigs.

I also believe he will go higher. Hoping he performs good at the Champs. Will be highly sought after come draft time. Just trying to get names out and will focus on ranking and clubs needs as we get closer to the draft. :thumbsu:

First of all, well done.

I love the sound of Josh Kelly. His description is exactly what we need in a player. Exceptional outside run and skills. If we end up with pick 5 I see us taking him or perhaps Billings unless somehow Boyd or Aish were also available which at this stage looks incredibly unlikely.

Would it be fair to say this draft is choc full of mids and lacks high end quality key backs? We desperately need a talented key back but history would suggest we won't use a high pick on one. Do you see any decent key backs available come the second and third rounds?

On a side note, where would you have Martin and Hogan in your draft order?

Kelly and Billings are two very good prospects. Both of them fit your needs category.

The draft is certainly full of midfielders. Their arent many top quality key defenders, but there is a couple and a few more might come into conclusions after the champs. I do see a couple of decent tall defenders available in rounds 2 or 3. There are always a couple who slip.

I would probably have Hogan at #1 and Martin at #4. I rate Martin, but from the game and footage of him in the NEAFL this year, he wasn't playing well. Haven't seen much of him this year. Needs to bulk up.

Love the phantom draft cotters. Where do you think Dwayne Wilson will go? Do you also think Dayle Garlett will end up getting drafted this year?

Agree with Salem, I feel Geelong is the type of club he would blossom at.

Any particular reason? Type of player he is ..or perhaps a similar a player we have that has developed at Geelong?

Every year I look at these Phantoms and as Geelong seem to be always late I look at these kids that are at the back end of R1 and think that theres more value there than early. Maybe they might need a little longer but certainly if you are patient and have the right system you can get quality.

Nice job , look forward to your revision post champs, always has an effect to some degree

Any particular reason? Type of player he is ..or perhaps a similar a player we have that has developed at Geelong?

Every year I look at these Phantoms and as Geelong seem to be always late I look at these kids that are at the back end of R1 and think that theres more value there than early. Maybe they might need a little longer but certainly if you are patient and have the right system you can get quality.

Nice job , look forward to your revision post champs, always has an effect to some degree

Think he is well suited to Geelong due to the type of player that he is. The Cats are pretty good at developing players and Salem is they type of player who would come in handy down the track as some of your others age.

Can push forward and have an impact as well.

Hey cotter101, just asking about Jye Cross from Geelong Falcons, do you see him getting drafted this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the phantom draft cotters. Where do you think Dwayne Wilson will go? Do you also think Dayle Garlett will end up getting drafted this year?

I'd imagine Wilson will go somewhere between picks 15 and 20.

Garlett is certainly a special talent and has been in good form. It depends on how clubs evaluate his off field issues. Theres always a chance he could be taken somewhere it the ND, but I think he is a chance to be taken in the RD.

Hey cotter101, just asking about Jye Cross from Geelong Falcons, do you see him getting drafted this year?

At this stage, he isn't in contention to be taken in the ND. More of a RD prospect, if anything.

Nice and early this year Cotter. Three selections I liked we're Crouch to Brisbane, Reynolds to Port and Salem to Geelong. All of them would do very well at those clubs, Salem with Geelong's development record is just plain scary.

yeah this. salem actually reminds me of dylan shiel

As a Melbourne fan, whilst I do recognize the fact that our midfield is easily the worst in the competition and we really should address it with Pick 2/3/4 or whatever we end up with, I think there is an outside chance we might go with Boyd if he is available.

At the moment, our KPF stocks are pretty healthy; Clark, Dawes, Hogan and a plethora of young aspiring Ruck/Forwards (Gawn, Fitzpatrick, Pedersen etc)

However, one logical reason I believe we should go for Boyd is that we have no one ready and able to fill in for the aging Jamar. Drafting another genuine gorilla up forward can perhaps release Clark into the ruck, the position where he was shortlisted as AA back when he was at Brisbane.

So yeah, if we finish as low as many are predicting, we will still have a pretty decent second round pick to use on a midfielder.

2014-2015

R: Jamar
KPF: Clark, Dawes, Hogan

2016 and beyond

R: Clark
KPF: Dawes, Hogan, Boyd

I understand your rationale, but Dawes relegated to a 3rd tall just seems silly, and I would be concerned about your forwards defensive capabilities with that set-up. I think you would be far better to be looking at a significantly more mobile option to round out your attack, especially given Howe in there already. A tall midfielder who can go forward maybe.

As a Melbourne supporter, we need the best midfielder. Don't even worry about other positions because we currently have the worst midfield in the AFL by the length of the Flemington straight!!!!

As a Melbourne supporter, we need the best midfielder. Don't even worry about other positions because we currently have the worst midfield in the AFL by the length of the Flemington straight!!!!
The question is what type of midfielder?

Aish will probably be the best available, but he's more outside than in, and I think Melbourne are crying for some steel in the middle, so a Matt Crouch or a Luke Dunstan might be more logical.

I think Aish is your man. He is very capable of playing inside or out. He is no doubt an elite talent which is something Melbourne need, especially in the midfield. Will probably start his career on the outside but will no doubt end up spending the majority of his career as an inside midfielder.

Guys like Dunstan, Crouch or Sheed would be able to come in and play an inside role from day 1.

Melbourne really need to get this draft right. It's a good draft for midfielders so the Dees should have some options at their second and third picks.

It is going to be interesting to see which direction that Melbourne opt to take.
Dunstan and Crouch seem to be exactly what they need.

But Aish seems to be the logical choice for that pick - which I assume will be pick 2.
After Toumpas under performing and other steely mids showing much more in their first year.
Melbourne might be swayed to take an inside mid in the mould of Crouch or Dunstan.

Melbourne cannot afford to get their pick wrong - but we continually say this year after year.
They continue to get their picks wrong, perhaps they need to go safe and go an inside mid.
MFC need to win their footy, clearly the need more Jack Vineys and if Dunstan/Crouch are of that mould, it's hard to argue they shouldn't take one of those players.

2306303_1_M.jpg

Any info on this bloke:

25. Matthew Boag
DOB: 9 April 1995
Height: 185cm
Weight: 90kg
Previous Club: Torquay

Thats a magnicent size for a young fella. Think he sneaks into the age bracket.

2306303_1_M.jpg

Any info on this bloke:

25. Matthew Boag
DOB: 9 April 1995
Height: 185cm
Weight: 90kg
Previous Club: Torquay

Thats a magnicent size for a young fella. Think he sneaks into the age bracket.

He does indeed fit the age bracket.

Big strong kid from the Geelong Falcons. Strong overhead and a very good judge of the footy in the air. Kicks goals, uses his body very well. He will need to tidy up his kicking and a few other things, but apart from that he is an interesting prospect. Just needs to round his game off more.

I'd say he is an outside chance to be taken in the second round, but more likely a third round or on wards chance.

Thoughts on Ben Cavarra? Looks very similar to Hrovat last year. Think he'll push his way into the top 30 by the end of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back