Expansion Could a new stadium land Tasmania a team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Your entire post was funny. I just quoted the part that made me laugh the most.

You spend all your time arguing against a Tassie team, yet have the hide to say you support one. It doesn't get funnier than that. :p

You should learn to look at the whole argument then.

That someone can point out the flaws of something doesn't mean they're against it, it means they're realistic about it.

You should learn to look at the whole argument then.

That someone can point out the flaws of something doesn't mean they're against it, it means they're realistic about it.
But when someone only points out the flaws and posts nothing in support of their position, that's when it becomes funny.

And it shows their position is, in fact, fictional.

But carry on...........................

The financial argument for a tassie team has to be stronger than having 10 teams in Melbourne.

The tassie government should get sponsorship promises from the biggest companies down there (Cadbury?, blundstone?, mining?) and package it with a big 8-10mill+ a year long term payment guarantee from themselves. Hang it out there as a carrot for the first club prepared to relocate.
Package that with a clean stadium deal and a share of the TV rights and it's getting close to achievable.

Melbourne's economy is a lot more than 10 times bigger than Tasmania's. Victoria's population would be 10 times what Tassie's is as well, off the top of my head. So even if you were building from scratch, I reckon the argument for a 10th team in Melbourne is of at least comparable strength to the argument for a first team in Tasmania.

A relocated team wouldn't work because it would take too long to get significant support down here. People here already have teams, which mean they already view all the other teams as opposition. A fresh team would get some support, a lot of casual fans would switch and lot of more serious fans like me would at least go to a lot of the games but still support my current team. You relocate North here, and I'm not really very interested at all.

The biggest business down here is probably Federal Hotels at the moment, the owning family are worth nearly half a billion dollars. So maybe they'll make it happen off their own dollar to get some good publicity. But I doubt it, they love money a lot more than they love people or care what people think (beyond when that has the potential to cost them money).

Melbourne's economy is a lot more than 10 times bigger than Tasmania's. Victoria's population would be 10 times what Tassie's is as well, off the top of my head. So even if you were building from scratch, I reckon the argument for a 10th team in Melbourne is of at least comparable strength to the argument for a first team in Tasmania.

A relocated team wouldn't work because it would take too long to get significant support down here. People here already have teams, which mean they already view all the other teams as opposition. A fresh team would get some support, a lot of casual fans would switch and lot of more serious fans like me would at least go to a lot of the games but still support my current team. You relocate North here, and I'm not really very interested at all.

The biggest business down here is probably Federal Hotels at the moment, the owning family are worth nearly half a billion dollars. So maybe they'll make it happen off their own dollar to get some good publicity. But I doubt it, they love money a lot more than they love people or care what people think (beyond when that has the potential to cost them money).

You make the same mistake that has been made before. The division of the Victorian population into 10 clubs is not even. The bottom Victorian teams are surviving on the small of an oily rag & the largesse of the AFL.

Whilst ever the AFL chooses to continue the support of the old VFL order, the situation in Tasmania will remain the same, no matter what benefits the State could offer for its own club.

Even if we built a new stadium, we still have to fill it, something both ends of the state have struggled with. I assume a start up Tassie team would have some very lean years akin to GWS and the Suns, let alone attempting to convert supporters of other clubs. It is a massive struggle and we just don't have the viability that other places do. Tasmania have a terrible government, a terrible population, a terrible state league and no money for a team.

You make the same mistake that has been made before. The division of the Victorian population into 10 clubs is not even. The bottom Victorian teams are surviving on the small of an oily rag & the largesse of the AFL.

Whilst ever the AFL chooses to continue the support of the old VFL order, the situation in Tasmania will remain the same, no matter what benefits the State could offer for its own club.

The smallest Victorian clubs (say North, Dogs, Saints and Dees) are all nationally exposed brands that have a significant commercial advantage relative to a potential Tasmanian start up...

I agree that in 30 years time a hypothetical Tasmanian team introduced right now would have more supporters than the least supported Victorian teams. Although in 30 years time Victoria will probably be more like 15 times bigger than Tasmania rather than the 11 times bigger it is now. So maybe it would be close. At that point, the team would probably only need a small amount of propping up from the AFL.

You said it yourself, the bottom teams in Victoria are struggling. A Tasmanian team isn't going to have significantly more supporters then them, even after it matures. A home 'blockbuster' at the Boot might attract a crowd of 20 000. Unless the government forces Federal to fund the team as a condition for another 30 year license to print money, I just don't see how it works.

So Gillon set the entry level requirement at $45m in turnover per annum. A good stadium deal would help. But really unless the Tassie team can do that or better every year it'll never happen.

Even if we built a new stadium, we still have to fill it, something both ends of the state have struggled with. I assume a start up Tassie team would have some very lean years akin to GWS and the Suns, let alone attempting to convert supporters of other clubs. It is a massive struggle and we just don't have the viability that other places do. Tasmania have a terrible government, a terrible population, a terrible state league and no money for a team.
When it is Hawthorn or North Melbourne (sides the majority of the state don't support) versus largely non-Victorian sides who virtually no-one in Tassie supports, are you really surprised?

If I still lived down there, I wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in watching North or Hawthorn play Fremantle, West Coast, Port, GWS or whoever.

Would you run along to a game every time Carlton played one of those sides if the Blues were playing down there?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After 4 flags in the 15 years we've been down there i dont think a FIFO would work

Unless Hawthorn relocate (we wont) the only way a Tassie team will work is if its an authentic start up club...

Success comes at a cost

As much as it pains me to say it, if Tassie truly wants their own club they need to turf Hawthorn from Tasmania

Came here to say this.

So long as Hawthorn has a base there and is successful, a Tasmanian team will *never* happen.

You've articulated the most stupid point that the AFL has intimated at throughout the whole debate - the lack of money available in Tassie.

We live in a globalised, and at least a nationalised world. How many companies are reliant on sponsorship from local companies? Why are an insurance company, a car company or a food brand less likely to sponsor a Tassie team than other teams? About 10-15 years ago Mars actually committed to sponsoring a Tassie team before they gave up waiting and sent the money to Carlton.

You aren't marketing to the crowd that turns up every week - you're marketing to a television audience.

Look at your own club. Both major sponsors are WA based companies, and everything below that has a heavy presence in WA. No company is going to buy a corporate box unless they have heaps of customers in the local market.

The idea that someone like Emirates will sponsor a Tassie team despite not even flying there because of the TV audience is fanciful.

So Gillon set the entry level requirement at $45m in turnover per annum. A good stadium deal would help. But really unless the Tassie team can do that or better every year it'll never happen.

That is just such a load of crap fom McLaughalot. What does $45million turnover signify? Surely what they want is Incomes & costs to be in Sync?.

I mean if you turn over $45million but your costs are $48million, thats unsustainable. If your turnover is only $40mill but costs are $38mill, well that is preferable one would think.

Nearly 1/2 the current clubs are unsustainable given their current financials.

The smallest Victorian clubs (say North, Dogs, Saints and Dees) are all nationally exposed brands that have a significant commercial advantage relative to a potential Tasmanian start up...

That's not entirely true. A Tassie team would have a monopoly on Tassie. The smallest Melbourne clubs don't even have that in their own suburb.

Problem with that is is that the AFL will without a doubt need to support both teams financially for eternity.

Gold Coast has successfully integrated itself in the QLD community, and as the local population grows it will become a strong viable club.

GWS whilst looking like a dead end for football, is vital in ensuring footballs future. The team will slowly gain supporters in the West and eventually becomea major source of talent I believe.
Im from Tasmania mate and as much as i would love my home state to have its own team there are a couple of problems that i cant see being solved anytime soon.
1: The state is footy mad and every man and his dog down there is all ready very emotionally attached to a current AFL team, i can only speak for me when i say i would not drop the tigers for the Tassie roos ever in my life time and i feel many others would be the same.
2: You would have to build a damn bullet train between Hobart and Launnie to make it viable for transport between north and south populations for games or build a new stadium in Cambeltown, none of which is economically viable for my rather broke and up s**t creek home state, if they cant get people enough hospital beds then a new stadium or transport system is a pipe dream.
Don't get me wrong as the Tasmanian people deserve a team with their love of the game which is a strong and passionate as anyone from Vic, SA or WA but the population is just too far spread out over the island.

Look at your own club. Both major sponsors are WA based companies, and everything below that has a heavy presence in WA. No company is going to buy a corporate box unless they have heaps of customers in the local market.

The idea that someone like Emirates will sponsor a Tassie team despite not even flying there because of the TV audience is fanciful.

So you're trying to extrapolate one extreme example - that by the way, is contrary to one of the AFL's own sponsors - to suggest that sponsors are only interested in being able to sit in a corporate box?

Get your hand off it mate, corporate boxes are worth less than nothing in the grand scheme of tv deals and major sponsorships.

SGIO is only a local branding of the nationally dominant Suncorp insurance. Bankwest has become a national bank. Woodside is a national mining conglomerate. Programmed are across Australia and NZ.

Having thought about it, wtf are you even talking about?

Im from Tasmania mate and as much as i would love my home state to have its own team there are a couple of problems that i cant see being solved anytime soon.
1: The state is footy mad and every man and his dog down there is all ready very emotionally attached to a current AFL team, i can only speak for me when i say i would not drop the tigers for the Tassie roos ever in my life time and i feel many others would be the same.
Which is exactly why it needs to be a home grown Tassie side and not a relocated Victorian one.

I still would not drop the tiges for a homegrown Tassie team, it would be interesting to see a poll done in Tasmania on the subject actually.
Who said you had to "drop the Tiges"?

Can you not think laterally?

Last edited:
Who said you had to "drop the Tiges"?

Can you not think laterally?
Hmmm, i can only support one AFL team with the same love and fanaticism the way i do now, if you can support 2 good for you but im not sure why i have to have a problem with thinking laterally for saying i only love one team. Why in the hell would i pay for a membership to a Tasmanian team that i never really cared about except the fact they are a Tassie team? Oh I just noticed your a Carlton supporter, its ok I hate you to man, game on :D

Hmmm, i can only support one AFL team with the same love and fanaticism the way i do now, if you can support 2 good for you but im not sure why i have to have a problem with thinking laterally for saying i only love one team. Why in the hell would i pay for a membership to a Tasmanian team that i never really cared about except the fact they are a Tassie team? Oh I just noticed your a Carlton supporter, its ok I hate you to man, game on :D

Thats ok. We'll just cross you off the list.:cool:

Its no biggy really. The rest of us & the diaspora will be enough to support a team.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back