Opinion Could Hawkins become a legend?

Remove this Banner Ad

As most of you lads have said probably a good club man at best... as in the NRL here in sydney the legend tag gets banded around a bit to often these days,
there are plenty of wood ducks playing league who are regarded as legends....there is a long list in front of Hawko in the race to legend status

Not LEGEND legend as in Ablett Snr, Lockett, Dunstall, etc. God no. A little too late for that.

More like legend of the MODERN era, like Buddy.

Probably should have phrased it better

Not LEGEND legend as in Ablett Snr, Lockett, Dunstall, etc. God no. A little too late for that.

More like legend of the MODERN era, like Buddy.

Probably should have phrased it better

I don't even think Buddy has reached that status yet.
Champion, freak, amazing to watch...yes.

There really isn't many modern day legends around at the moment.
Boomer Harvey and Dustin Fletcher spring to mind for me.

Not sure about that. I think things he has done, been involved with are extremely high end. He will never be GASr but I think he would hold his own in Hall of Fame and Legend status. Some of the goals he has kicked will be all time greats , no doubt.

I think Buddy is a legend. And if he isn't now, he will be.

100+ goals in this day and age is absolutely amazing. He carried Hawthorn for years too.

He still isn't a legend....yet.
in 5-6 years time when he's coming to the end of his career, then he will be up in that echelon.

You don't make legend status half way through your career.
He is a champion now, and will be a legend.

He still isn't a legend....yet.
in 5-6 years time when he's coming to the end of his career, then he will be up in that echelon.

You don't make legend status half way through your career.
He is a champion now, and will be a legend.

Carey, Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall, Hart, Wade and Blight haven't been inducted as Legends yet. I wouldn't be locking Buddy in as a Legend at this stage of his career.

he WAS an elite kick. Then he injured his foot.
Dont read too much into his kicking the last 2 years as I think its a residual symptom of his previous injury (even in a mental hurdle). I have no doubt his kicking will improve out of sight this year, his action is cleaner and more fluid and its definately a work in progress but I think hes on his way again.

Not buying it.
There was talk he changed his gate due to the hot spots.
And look up under 18 footage. He was not an elite kick. Stop making stuff up.

has a good chance of becoming a legend but he'd really need to up his game to a couple levels

Woah, woah, woah

What sort of legend are we talking now?

Afl legend
Geelong legend
Nightclub legend.

He sure as hell isn't getting near the first 2.
What are you guys on?

Carey, Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall, Hart, Wade and Blight haven't been inducted as Legends yet. I wouldn't be locking Buddy in as a Legend at this stage of his career.

Fair point MC, but I think we can all concede that they will be in the near future.

Hence why I'm locking in current players that are at a stage of their career where you can really gauge their chances of reaching that status.

Dustin Fletcher would be my first pick out of the current crop.

Fair point MC, but I think we can all concede that they will be in the near future.

Hence why I'm locking in current players that are at a stage of their career where you can really gauge their chances of reaching that status.

Dustin Fletcher would be my first pick out of the current crop.

Only one Legend (maximum) can be inducted for every ten Hall of Fame inductions. That's just the backlog of big forwards. Then there's guys like Tuck, Hird, Voss, Harvey, Williams, Scarlett, Pavlich, Judd, Black, Silvagni, Ablett Jr., McLeod, Ricciuto, Buckley, Goodes and everyone else who are likely/definite candidates for Legend status. Which means that, even assuming Buddy has the CV by the end of his career, he might be waiting for 200 or so inductions before his number comes up.

Fletcher is a fair way back in the pecking order, in my opinion.

Only one Legend (maximum) can be inducted for every ten Hall of Fame inductions. That's just the backlog of big forwards. Then there's guys like Tuck, Hird, Voss, Harvey, Williams, Scarlett, Pavlich, Judd, Black, Silvagni, Ablett Jr., McLeod, Ricciuto, Buckley, Goodes and everyone else who are likely/definite candidates for Legend status. Which means that, even assuming Buddy has the CV by the end of his career, he might be waiting for 200 or so inductions before his number comes up.

Fletcher is a fair way back in the pecking order, in my opinion.

I guess we are looking at it differently.
Surely you can be a legend of the game without necessarily being inducted as a legend?

A lot of those people you have named (especially Tuck) are without doubt legends.

Ablett Snr is a legend, we all know that, he doesn't need the official title, same goes for alot of players.

A hall of famer is essentially a legend to me.

I reckon we are 50 years away from any of these guys making it.

Carey, Ablett, Lockett, Dunstall, Hart, Wade and Blight

If at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you have to be able to differentiate between legend and champion. A Legend is someone who has had a massive impact on the game possibly even change the game. To me there are many CHAMPION footballers who run around every generation at each and every club but LEGENDS are few and far between. There may only be a handful playing at any one time.

I think you have to be able to differentiate between legend and champion. A Legend is someone who has had a massive impact on the game possibly even change the game. To me there are many CHAMPION footballers who run around every generation at each and every club but LEGENDS are few and far between. There may only be a handful playing at any one time.

I think Sj has changed the game with the way he kicks from the boundary.
Will never be a legend, but he'll be spoken about for a long time.

I guess we are looking at it differently.
Surely you can be a legend of the game without necessarily being inducted as a legend?

Eh...? To me that's a non-sequitur, like saying someone like Dipper or Garry Lyon is an AFL Hall of Famer, despite them not being in the Hall of Fame. Well, no they're not, because surely to earn the right to be called a Hall of Famer, you'd have to actually be inducted in the Hall of Fame. Like a Life Member at your footy club.

People are considered to be 'legends' for something as simple as buying the first round at the bar. But in the AFL, where there is a Hall of Fame with a special 'Legends' category, for the very best of the best, surely a legend is anyone who has had that status bestowed upon them? Sure, there are Hall of Famers and Legends-in waiting among the currently playing and recently retired, but they can't be recognised by that title, until it is bestowed upon them.

Not mutually exclusive. The current HOF Legends average a nose hair under three premierships each.

True, but its loser clubs that yearn to turn their top players into legends. Its a loser mentality. Its a team game, after all. Having a "legend" in the team is a consolation for not winning.

I reckon Brad Johnson, the "legend" of the Bulldogs, was seriously jealous of Akermanis when he came over from Brisbane. They had a nice little racket going on there, and all of a sudden that damned coach was filling the team up with actual "winners" lol

Forget about what you think of Aker, I saw a team group totally threatened by what Aker represented. That told a story, for me.

And thats why I prefer my legends from 50 years back. :thumbsu:

A legend?
He wont even be a great of the club.

The boy cant kick straight.
He'd need to start kicking straight and kicking clutch goals just to become a very good footballer.

Well way too early to tell. First things first, let's just see him follow up his performance against Freo and produce a good game on Monday.

He did kick an important goal in the last quarter too.

didn't say he is a legend but he certainly could become one if was able to up his game considerably and produce for years and years on end.

Still very young, basically the same size as a ruckman so it's good to see that he's finally matured into the player we were hoping.
Long way to go but all signs are very promising.

Some may say that we need to wait a little longer to see if he really has turned the corner but I think his preseason speaks for itself. He's done all the hard yards in the gym and on the track and that is going to pay off on the football field for him.
Unless he suffers injury...with his size and athleticism, he's not turning back now and it's going to massive for us this season :thumbsu:

A legend (Latin, legenda, "things to be read") is a narrative of human actions that are perceived both by teller and listeners to take place within human history and to possess certain qualities that give the tale verisimilitude. Legend, for its active and passive participants includes no happenings that are outside the realm of "possibility", defined by a highly flexible set of parameters, which may include miracles that are perceived as actually having happened, within the specific tradition of indoctrination where the legend arises, and within which it may be transformed over time, in order to keep it fresh and vital.

There......that should clear that up. :thumbsu:

A legend (Latin, legenda, "things to be read") is a narrative of human actions that are perceived both by teller and listeners to take place within human history and to possess certain qualities that give the tale verisimilitude. Legend, for its active and passive participants includes no happenings that are outside the realm of "possibility", defined by a highly flexible set of parameters, which may include miracles that are perceived as actually having happened, within the specific tradition of indoctrination where the legend arises, and within which it may be transformed over time, in order to keep it fresh and vital.

There......that should clear that up. :thumbsu:

I was disappointed you haven't put your name down to do a match preview this year, seem a complete waste of that Grammar education,but after reading the above maybe it's for the best, unless you could dumb it down considerable for your's truly:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back