Could interstate clubs sell games to the MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

You're the one saying there is?

I don't see a problem. You are the person who uses such terms. You won't find I ever used it apart from in reference to clarify your own use of the word. So it is in fact your problem.
I see an opportunity for some clubs to think bigger and grow their fan base.
There is also an opportunity for you to get over your short term memory recall of words you used.

Last edited:

I don't see a problem. You are the person who uses such terms. You won't find I ever used it until I ask you to clarify your problem.
I see an opportunity for some clubs to think bigger and grow their fan base.

You claim that the WA teams supporter base in Melbourne isn't big enough to garner games at the MCG, therefore, the problem is with the WA clubs.

Don't play coy cutie :rainbow:

You claim that the WA teams supporter base in Melbourne isn't big enough to garner games at the MCG, therefore, the problem is with the WA clubs.

No, I said if those clubs fan bases grow they become more attractive to play games at the G.
You interpret that as a problem. Not me. The subtle distinction seems beyond you. Perception not your strong suit it seems.

No, I said if those clubs fan bases grow they become more attractive to play games at the G.
You interpret that as a problem. Not me. The subtle distinction seems beyond you. Perception not your strong suit it seems.

So called MCG tenant clubs that choose to play a few home games somewhere else is their choice.
That is not shafting a non-Vic based club. It is helping the home club deal with their own club circumstances as one of 18 clubs.

A non vic club have no say it where away games are programmed by AFL.
It is the AFL to work out what is best for the league schedule.

As for non-Vic clubs playing a game or two more at the G I am all for it.
It is however up to those clubs to get themselves into that situation
. They have to think outside the box and if it means playing a home game at G to expand their fan base then maybe that is the path to look down. Hawks certainly looked beyond state borders to grow their fan base. The upshoot is if non-Vic based clubs grow their fan base in Melbourne some of their away games against Vic clubs are likely to be drawn at the G more, just as Sydney Swans are. Tassie based Hawks fans should not be shafted because Eagles do not have enough Melbourne based fans. Grow your support base and getting other clubs to want to play Eagles at the G will be more attractive to the AFL.

The problem being addressed is non-vic clubs not having enough games at the MCG.

You are clearly pinning the reason Non-Vic clubs have less games at the MCG on them.

You can twist your explanation however you want.

The problem being addressed is non-vic clubs not having enough games at the MCG.

Once again, you see a problem. Your problem of perception. The thread is about whether clubs from outside Victoria can play a home game at the G. I think they can. It is a challenge to fixture but I still think possible. It is an opportunity for clubs that want that to play at the home of football and increase the clubs profile nationally.
Quite a few clubs from outside Victoria played 2 games at the MCG this home and away season. The same amount as plenty of Victorian based clubs played 2 each year at the MCG for many many seasons. That is normal. Not a problem. No clubs back then saw it as "problem being addressed". Essendon and North were first to see opportunities to grow their profile as a club and possible increase their base by being pro-active and asking for home games at MCG.
Now we have multiple clubs using football central location of MCG for home games and not just away games.

If your clubs wants more games there and you see one game there a problem then lobby your club to play one of their own games as a home game there if the want is big enough. It can be a great opportunity to increase support in Melbourne for the club. Not sure why you have to see it as a problem. Shift your perception and think bigger. Not everything is a problem just because you lost the grand final and look for flimsy excuses for not being good enough. I actually think that is your real problem. Perception of why you were not good enough.
For me it is no problem. I saw a game of football where one team got nervous because of the big day and the other team made them pay. He who hesitates is lost. Shuey in particular done it a few times. If you want to play more games at the MCG to make you feel less upset about poor performance in the big day then so be it. Not a good reason in itself for doing it. You see it as a problem to address in your deluded small thinking and problem labelling way. By all means lobby to have your club play a home game there if it makes you feel better but in reality you would be wiser to be thinking bigger and simply growing the fan base in a way that away games against Victoria based clubs also become attractive to the AFL to program there. Then you might see 3 or 4 games at the MCG. More than my own club ever played there back in glory years. That in itself will not solve your problem of your team not being good enough issue though. That team needs to simply play better and make better decisions on the big day.

Once again, you see a problem. Your problem of perception. The thread is about whether clubs from outside Victoria can play a home game at the G. I think they can. It is a challenge to fixture but I still think possible. It is an opportunity for clubs that want that to play at the home of football and increase the clubs profile nationally.
Quite a few clubs from outside Victoria played 2 games at the MCG this home and away season. The same amount as plenty of Victorian based clubs played 2 each year at the MCG for many many seasons. That is normal. Not a problem. No clubs back then saw it as "problem being addressed". Essendon and North were first to see opportunities to grow their profile as a club and possible increase their base by being pro-active and asking for home games at MCG.
Now we have multiple clubs using football central location of MCG for home games and not just away games.

If your clubs wants more games there and you see one game there a problem then lobby your club to play one of their own games as a home game there if the want is big enough. It can be a great opportunity to increase support in Melbourne for the club. Not sure why you have to see it as a problem. Shift your perception and think bigger. Not everything is a problem just because you lost the grand final and look for flimsy excuses for not being good enough. I actually think that is your real problem. Perception of why you were not good enough.
For me it is no problem. I saw a game of football where one team got nervous because of the big day and the other team made them pay. He who hesitates is lost. Shuey in particular done it a few times. If you want to play more games at the MCG to make you feel less upset about poor performance in the big day then so be it. Not a good reason in itself for doing it. You see it as a problem to address in your deluded small thinking and problem labelling way. By all means lobby to have your club play a home game there if it makes you feel better but in reality you would be wiser to be thinking bigger and simply growing the fan base in a way that away games against Victoria based clubs also become attractive to the AFL to program there. Then you might see 3 or 4 games at the MCG. More than my own club ever played there back in glory years. That in itself will not solve your problem of your team not being good enough issue though. That team needs to simply play better and make better decisions on the big day.

What a dribbling load of self serving s**t.

So, your dream is the same 3-4 teams at the top every year (and your team wont be one of them...nor will mine).

No thanks.

Champions League winners in last 10 years: 7 clubs.

AFL winners in last 10 years: 5 clubs

Also, for your benefit... an example with big mean numbers. Western Sydney Wanders - $3 million of cattle, beat Al Hilal in - $30 million+ - in the Asian Champions League final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It didn't bother the Lions between 2001-2003. 4 home and away games only but won 3 flags against Victorian teams. Port the same in 2004, Sydney 05, Eagles 06.... massive over reaction. Good teams win anywhere.

Mate .. couldn't have said it any better ... too many excuses by sides who dont turn up on GF day!

So called MCG tenant clubs that choose to play a few home games somewhere else is their choice.
That is not shafting a non-Vic based club. It is helping the home club deal with their own club circumstances as one of 18 clubs.

A non vic club have no say it where away games are programmed by AFL.
It is the AFL to work out what is best for the league schedule.

As for non-Vic clubs playing a game or two more at the G I am all for it.
It is however up to those clubs to get themselves into that situation. They have to think outside the box and if it means playing a home game at G to expand their fan base then maybe that is the path to look down. Hawks certainly looked beyond state borders to grow their fan base. The upshoot is if non-Vic based clubs grow their fan base in Melbourne some of their away games against Vic clubs are likely to be drawn at the G more, just as Sydney Swans are. Tassie based Hawks fans should not be shafted because Eagles do not have enough Melbourne based fans. Grow your support base and getting other clubs to want to play Eagles at the G will be more attractive to the AFL.

The matches that the AFL FIXture in Tas are what shafts Tas based fans including Tas based Hawks fans .... cut it, dice it, the AFLFix.

The Eagles play everywhere, some clubs don't, again the AFL FIX .... & then the Eagles are expected to fund equalisation: hello, hello, another AFL FIX - what is this equalisation concept other than money.

Very possible if Eagles and Dogs do not grow their fan bases enough to be make it an attractive fixture to play at Docklands. Clubs like Eagles, Freo and Port need to grow their fan bases beyond their own pond and make themselves more appealing for AFL to program more games at the G. Swans and Adelaide do it better for clubs that been around awhile from interstate. They have less problem getting their own fans based to be big enough in Melbourne to play a few more games at bigger venues when they are the away team.

Surely you don't support the GF remaining at the G .... ? .... how so ?

Given Essendons deal is nothing to do with the AFL, and is probably commercial in confidence, how do you propose to do that?

The AFL have access to all stadium deals involving their clubs just as they have access to all club books - bit disingenuous to run that line Wookie, playing the village idiot does nothing for your pro allthings Vic image. Its the AFL overarching deal in play here, the deal with Etihad.
Just another AFL FIX ..

The AFL have access to all stadium deals involving their clubs just as they have access to all club books - bit disingenuous to run that line Wookie, playing the village idiot does nothing for your pro allthings Vic image. Its the AFL overarching deal in play here, the deal with Etihad.
Just another AFL FIX ..

Im not playing at anything. And just because I dont think Victoria and the VFL are the root of all evil, doesnt mean Im pro everything victoria.

The matches that the AFL FIXture in Tas are what shafts Tas based fans including Tas based Hawks fans .... cut it, dice it, the AFLFix.

The Eagles play everywhere, some clubs don't, again the AFL FIX .... & then the Eagles are expected to fund equalisation: hello, hello, another AFL FIX - what is this equalisation concept other than money.

Ive got no problems playing the Eagles at the MCG, they are proven crowd drawers...

2011-15
Rd 12 2015 Richmond v West Coast 45,178
Rd 10 2014 Collingwood v West Coast 53,048
Rd 2 2014 Melbourne v West Coast 22,230
Rd 22 2013 Collingwood v West Coast 41,198
Rd 3 2013 Melbourne v West Coast 18,751
Rd 23 2012 Hawthorn v West Coast 50,023
Rd 12 2012 Collingwood v West Coast 62,957
Rd 10 2011 Collingwood v West Coast 52,560

1 game under 20k, 1 between 20k and 25k, 2 betweem 40k and 50k and the rest over 50k

The Eagles games have all drawn the equivalent of the small Victorian based clubs games at the MCG.

Like Sydney, based on drawing potential, the Eagles shouldnt be playing any games against the MCG tenants away from the MCG.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back