Could interstate clubs sell games to the MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

When does the VFL get the freehold on Etihad again?

Not certain, 2025 I think.

Of course, after that, the AFL will want more games there to maximise it's own profits (and/or the clubs playing there will be a lot more financially viable).

I don't really think 60K South Australians would do that,

You would be surprised how many would use any excuse to get out of Adelaide for one weekend.
Keep in mind travelling between Adelaide and Melbourne by car is fairly straight forward. The trick is to sell the trip as an event for South Aussies in Melbourne. Blediscoe Cup or whatever it is known as has very little to do with Melbourne but we still manage to have it as an event for sport fans from somewhere else to make a trip of as there is also some local theatre goers that go simply for the hell of it. A few Melbournians would still goto Port v Crows game if they are top 6 or 8 teams and played at the G in middle of winter. Actually ideal time might be the one of the multi bye weekends that normally have one weekend where no game at the G.

You would be surprised how many would use any excuse to get out of Adelaide for one weekend.
Keep in mind travelling between Adelaide and Melbourne by car is fairly straight forward. The trick is to sell the trip as an event for South Aussies in Melbourne. Blediscoe Cup or whatever it is known as has very little to do with Melbourne but we still manage to have it as an event for sport fans from somewhere else to make a trip of as there is also some local theatre goers that go simply for the hell of it. A few Melbournians would still goto Port v Crows game if they are top 6 or 8 teams and played at the G in middle of winter. Actually ideal time might be the one of the multi bye weekends that normally have one weekend where no game at the G.

The idea of 60000 South Australian's travelling to Melbourne for a Showdown outside a Grand Final is as fanciful as a Carlton premiership in 2016.

Interestingly in 1979 and 1980 a few Victorian based clubs played some home games at SCG including Essendon v Carlton when Kenny Sheldon kicked 6 goals. Also I believe Richmond highest ever score was against St.Kilda at SCG in 1980. Of course not long after this South Melbourne re-located there to become known as the Sydney Swans.

The idea of 60000 South Australian's travelling to Melbourne for a Showdown outside a Grand Final is as fanciful as a Carlton premiership in 2016.

A Carlton premiership in 2016 is not fanciful. That is pure lunacy!!! o_O
We will barely win a game. Should be as bad as Gold Coast or GWS or worse in their first seasons.

A Carlton premiership in 2016 is not fanciful. That is pure lunacy!!! o_O
We will barely win a game. Should be as bad as Gold Coast or GWS or worse in their first seasons.

I think that's the point...while I appreciate your point that any excuse to get out of Adelaide would be welcomed, the idea that 60K would travel to Melbourne to watch a game they can see on TV just isn't going to happen.

The complaints about the game being shifted out of SA would be very real however.

I think that's the point...while I appreciate your point that any excuse to get out of Adelaide would be welcomed, the idea that 60K would travel to Melbourne to watch a game they can see on TV just isn't going to happen.

The complaints about the game being shifted out of SA would be very real however.
You'd get a very large proportion of Melbourne-based Adelaide and Port supporters turning up though, more so than for any other game in Melbourne, plus maybe 5-10k travelling fans if it was marketed well. And a heck of a lot of neutrals. I reckon that game could pull 50k in Melbourne at least.

You'd get a very large proportion of Melbourne-based Adelaide and Port supporters turning up though, more so than for any other game in Melbourne, plus maybe 5-10k travelling fans if it was marketed well. And a heck of a lot of neutrals. I reckon that game could pull 50k in Melbourne at least.

So they move it to Melbourne, annoy SA fans massively by taking away one of the highlights of their football year, and end up with roughly the same crowd they'd get at AO?

Why would they do that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So they move it to Melbourne, annoy SA fans massively by taking away one of the highlights of their football year, and end up with roughly the same crowd they'd get at AO?

Why would they do that?

Not to mention the SANFL would do its head in. Theres also the games contract at Adelaide Oval to worry about, and the SA Government wouldnt be impressed either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back