Opinion Could Selwood perform better than Ablett in 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gysenn

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
We all know they both had brilliant years in 2013 - separated by just one vote in the Brownlow medal. Selwood is widely regarded as the second best player in the competition, while Ablett, almost unanimously, is thought of as #1.

Joel will be 25 turning 26 next season - smack bang in the middle of his prime.
Ablett will be 29 turning 30. For many players, this would mean a decline in form, leg-speed, stamina, etc. For many others, those could all come five years later.

If Selwood was to continue to improve, building on his career best 2013 form - and Ablett was to show some signs of the above mentioned decline, could we see our captain courageous become the best player in the competition?

Not a snowball's chance in hell! No 3am postings anymore Mr Man!
DRUNK_02.jpg

We all know they both had brilliant years in 2013 - separated by just one vote in the Brownlow medal. Selwood is widely regarded as the second best player in the competition, while Ablett, almost unanimously, is thought of as #1.

Joel will be 25 turning 26 next season - smack bang in the middle of his prime.
Ablett will be 29 turning 30. For many players, this would mean a decline in form, leg-speed, stamina, etc. For many others, those could all come five years later.

If Selwood was to continue to improve, building on his career best 2013 form - and Ablett was to show some signs of the above mentioned decline, could we see our captain courageous become the best player in the competition?

No he's not.

He is not the second best midfielder in the league though. He had a pretty poor finals series.

I can't remember him having a great run in any final series. Its not talent and it not mental so what is it?

This year I can only put it down to him being the obvious target to stop , having little easy ball due to poor rucks or perhaps the way he plays we need to insist hat he has a Ross Lyon prep for final. The way he plays , he can't be fresh too often. Did he really need to play V Brisb R23?

I can only hope the addition of another two quality inside guys can ease the heat on him.

I will not compare him to the "chosen one" , different players.

Selwood isn't a chipscab possession addict, so the media and general worshipers in footy will always have Ablett ahead.

Ablett's 500 possessions in the first half of the 2010 prelim where Collingwood absolutely smashed us is the epitome of what I think of Ablett's game. And Ablett fans saying "but, but...he kept us in the game..." is why I don't argue with them.

Selwood and Bartel turned the game for us in the second quarter of the 2011 GF. Selwood could have easily won the Norm Smith that year and no-one would have blinked. Selwood has a bigger impact on games. (Please don't mention Ablett's possession tally when we have been thumped because that only strengthens the case) Ablett is more media friendly and is more skilled.

I can't remember him having a great run in any final series. Its not talent and it not mental so what is it?

This year I can only put it down to him being the obvious target to stop , having little easy ball due to poor rucks or perhaps the way he plays we need to insist hat he has a Ross Lyon prep for final. The way he plays , he can't be fresh too often. Did he really need to play V Brisb R23?

I can only hope the addition of another two quality inside guys can ease the heat on him.

I will not compare him to the "chosen one" , different players.
Add the 2011 GF to your video series. You will be surprised.

Selwood isn't a chipscab possession addict, so the media and general worshipers in footy will always have Ablett ahead.

Ablett's 500 possessions in the first half of the 2010 prelim where Collingwood absolutely smashed us is the epitome of what I think of Ablett's game. And Ablett fans saying "but, but...he kept us in the game..." is why I don't argue with them.

Selwood and Bartel turned the game for us in the second quarter of the 2011 GF. Selwood could have easily won the Norm Smith that year and no-one would have blinked. Selwood has a bigger impact on games. (Please don't mention Ablett's possession tally when we have been thumped because that only strengthens the case) Ablett is more media friendly and is more skilled.

Agree... he's no seagull.

Add the 2011 GF to your video series. You will be surprised.

How did he go Reg , I must have a bit alzimers. In way he is a victim of his own high standards. Has ever had a "great" like the Swans game earlier this year? He is such a gun player , he deserves a memorable big final on CV

And for that matter , has GA ever done it either?

For memorable finals performance from big names , Chappy and SJ have them covered.

as stated previously, no 3am posts man, at that time of night the brain isnt thinking straight which could result in stupid threads like this one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How did he go Reg , I must have a bit alzimers. In way he is a victim of his own high standards. Has ever had a "great" like the Swans game earlier this year? He is such a gun player , he deserves a memorable big final on CV

And for that matter , has GA ever done it either?

For memorable finals performance from big names , Chappy and SJ have them covered.

When SJ was directly targeted by Freo this year he was shut down. Happens to the best of them. Selwoood is targeted every week.

He and Bartel were our two best imo in the 2011 GF.

It's difficult to gauge the gun players in finals performances and unfair assumptions are often made. How did Sam Mitchell go this year's GF. But because he was targeted, is that fair on him? Riewoldt got St Kilda over the line in the 2009 prelim. And he looked a bit of a spent force in the granny against us. Hocking hardly never had good finals series. But there were reasons. Judd for Carlton often carried them all through the year but would flop in the finals because he was just worn out. Maybe there is a little bit of that about Selwood this year.

I'll go with Ablett 5 AFL player association MVP awards to a chip scab possession addict I don't think so,his peers rate him very highly in deed.

Great players always receive more attention in big games.

Mitchell has played three grand finals and been poor to average by his usual standard in all. Hodge had little impact in '12 or '13.

Ablett has played three and only received Norm Smith votes in a loss.

Jesus guys, there's no harm in having an opinion.

How far ahead do you believe Ablett to be, then? How much longer can he keep up this kind of form?

I'm not suggesting Selwood will do more in 2014 than Ablett has ever done, I'm asking if this is the year Ablett will start to slow down - and Selwood will improve that little bit further - and catch him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I am with most. Ablett is a once in a generation football player - and is a better footballer than Selwood. Probably will be for another 2-3 years.

The one thing Selwood may have Gaz is that he is a better leader or captain of a club.

Pendlebury never puts his expensive frame in harms way like Selwood does though. Great player and all but Dane Swan is still Collingwood's game turner even though he's not in Pendlebury's class in terms of ball use and decision making but when the chips are down, it's Swan to the rescue

Agree he doesn't bash and crash like Selwood does, .. But he isn't soft by any means... He was ranked 6th in clearances this year and 9th for contested possessions.

But yeah his outside game I reckon makes him, he was number 1 in effective disposals per game this year...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back