Opinion Could Selwood perform better than Ablett in 2014?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett left us 3 years ago. Get over it. He's the best player in the comp by far.
I think its you who needs to get over Gazza, my friend. Find another religion.

No midfielder we have had has had the same impact in a game the day Selwood got weeks for giving Guerra for a thump to the earhole. The Hawks absolutely swamped him and had a strangling gameplan against him. But he willed himself into the game in the second half and turned for us. Amazing performance that did not include heaps of possessions. Never ever saw Ablett do anything like that. Oh, saw him rack up the possessions when we have got smashed.

Skill wise Ablett has no peer and if football was all about the individual I would agree with you.. But he plays more for personal glory in a team sport. Selwood is a leader. Would have Selwood 10 out of 10. And I have always thought that of Ablett, so don't go on about him leaving and sour grapes. You may have forgot 2011, but I haven't. A selfish player.

I think its you who needs to get over Gazza, my friend. Find another religion.

No midfielder we have had has had the same impact in a game the day Selwood got weeks for giving Guerra for a thump to the earhole. The Hawks absolutely swamped him and had a strangling gameplan against him. But he willed himself into the game in the second half and turned for us. Amazing performance that did not include heaps of possessions. Never ever saw Ablett do anything like that. Oh, saw him rack up the possessions when we have got smashed.

Skill wise Ablett has no peer and if football was all about the individual I would agree with you.. But he plays more for personal glory in a team sport. Selwood is a leader. Would have Selwood 10 out of 10. And I have always thought that of Ablett, so don't go on about him leaving and sour grapes. You may have forgot 2011, but I haven't. A selfish player.
rehemura.jpg

Reg, let it go, he's gone...

Besides this is talking about individual playing ability, regardless of what your personal opinion of Ablett or Selwood is....

Reg, let it go, he's gone...

Besides this is talking about individual playing ability, regardless of what your personal opinion of Ablett or Selwood is....
Yep but his point about Selwood's leadership is valid-he leads in so many ways and I still don't get the idea Gaz does, despite his wonderful play on the field.

Yep but his point about Selwood's leadership is valid-he leads in so many ways and I still don't get the idea Gaz does, despite his wonderful play on the field.

I wasn't discounting his points about Ablett's playing abilities or Selwood's leadership as they contribute to the topic, just the rant about Selfish etc..

And yes Selwood imo is the best Captain in the comp..

Selwood is equal second best in the league with Pendles IMO, with Watson and Dangerfield right on their heels. Ablett is well ahead though and while I think that Selwood, Pendles and Dangerfield will close the gap somewhat next year, I still think Ablett will be the best player in the league.

That being said I'd take Selwood over Ablett at Geelong as he encompasses everything Geelong stands for (I mean he reportedly knocked back a $1.5 million a year contract at GWS to stay at Geelong for somewhere between 6-700k to win premierships and be a one club player, puts his body on the line and is by far both the most courageous and best captain in the AFL) and is the perfect leader and role model for the next generation.

I wasn't discounting his points about Ablett's playing abilities or Selwood's leadership as they contribute to the topic, just the rant about Selfish etc..

And yes Selwood imo is the best Captain in the comp..
Sorry if my opinion upsets you. I think our midfield performs better with Selwood as the leader. And if that upsets you, I can't do anything about that. During one game when Ablett was our main man in the midfield and we got beat badly, Bomber refused to praise Ablett for his efforts saying what's the point of an individual getting possessions etc in the midfield if the midfield group gets thrashed. A lot of people just couldn't get their heads around what he was talking about and just gushed over Ablett and chastised Bomber. That was the mentality when Ablett did play for us. And Bomber was not entitled to his opiniion then, either. He had to be bitter at Ablett. So don't give me this guff about sourgrapes after he left, as it was pointed out before he left.

As for performing better, its a team game. Leadership has to be taken into account.

I'm sure Gazza can kick longer, is a better pack mark, is faster. Happy? :p

Sorry if my opinion upsets you. I think our midfield performs better with Selwood as the leader. And if that upsets you, I can't do anything about that. During one game when Ablett was our main man in the midfield and we got beat badly, Bomber refused to praise Ablett for his efforts saying what's the point of an individual getting possessions etc in the midfield if the midfield group gets thrashed. A lot of people just couldn't get their heads around what he was talking about and just gushed over Ablett and chastised Bomber. That was the mentality when Ablett did play for us. And Bomber was not entitled to his opiniion then, either. He had to be bitter at Ablett. So don't give me this guff about sourgrapes after he left, as it was pointed out before he left.

As for performing better, its a team game. Leadership has to be taken into account.

You keep bringing up the 2010 PF and I don't know why? Ablett was best on for us and arguably for the game too. Just because other players played s**t doesn't mean Ablett did, he did everything he could to try and help us win.

We probably wouldn't have made the 2007 GF if it wasn't for Abletts brilliant game in the 2007 PF (yes to go with Ottens amazing game), he was again arguably best on in a losing GF in 2008 (again blame other players playing s**t and not him) and then basically got us over the line in 2009.

If you think we would've been as good as we were from 07-09 without Ablett then you're deluded.

You keep bringing up the 2010 PF and I don't know why? Ablett was best on for us and arguably for the game too. Just because other players played s**t doesn't mean Ablett did, he did everything he could to try and help us win.

We probably wouldn't have made the 2007 GF if it wasn't for Abletts brilliant game in the 2007 PF (yes to go with Ottens amazing game), he was again arguably best on in a losing GF in 2008 (again blame other players playing s**t and not him) and then basically got us over the line in 2009.

If you think we would've been as good as we were from 07-09 without Ablett then you're deluded.
Umm, it wasn't the 2010 pf. It was a H&A game I was remembering.

Ablett was an asset. No more than Enright or Selwood, and less than Scarlo and Ottens. It has been said before that one of the biggest changes in Geelong in 2007 was the arrival of Selwood. By 2010, Ablett had become less of an asset the way I see the game. I'm talking team, not individual stats.

And if you think our 2011 premiership doesn't highlight what I say, then you are deluded.

Really?

Don't think the thread idea is as crazy as some of you are making out.

The kids in the GC midfield will step up, and Gaz won't have to shoulder so much of the load next year. Don't act as if being the best player in one of the league's most inexperienced midfields didn't help Ablett's numbers.

Selwood is smack bang in the middle of his prime, as Gysenn said, and I expect him to lift his game to the 30 touch 3 goal player that we've seen him be at times this year. Except he will do it on a consistent basis.

For 2014, Selwood>Ablett. Come at me. Not that you'll actually be able to defy my opinion anyway, as it's based on the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think the thread idea is as crazy as some of you are making out.

The kids in the GC midfield will step up, and Gaz won't have to shoulder so much of the load next year. Don't act as if being the best player in one of the league's most inexperienced midfields didn't help Ablett's numbers.

Selwood is smack bang in the middle of his prime, as Gysenn said, and I expect him to lift his game to the 30 touch 3 goal player that we've seen him be at times this year. Except he will do it on a consistent basis.

For 2014, Selwood>Ablett. Come at me. Not that you'll actually be able to defy my opinion anyway, as it's based on the future.

ha ha ha ha ha ha

ah haha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Selwood isn't a chipscab possession addict, so the media and general worshipers in footy will always have Ablett ahead.

Ablett's 500 possessions in the first half of the 2010 prelim where Collingwood absolutely smashed us is the epitome of what I think of Ablett's game. And Ablett fans saying "but, but...he kept us in the game..." is why I don't argue with them.

So it was Ablett's fault? What about the other 21 players out there? I presume they weren't to blame at all?

Most people have Ablett ahead because he's a better player. Simple as that.

Umm, it wasn't the 2010 pf. It was a H&A game I was remembering.

Ablett was an asset. No more than Enright or Selwood, and less than Scarlo and Ottens. It has been said before that one of the biggest changes in Geelong in 2007 was the arrival of Selwood. By 2010, Ablett had become less of an asset the way I see the game. I'm talking team, not individual stats.

And if you think our 2011 premiership doesn't highlight what I say, then you are deluded.

By who? First I've heard. He was a very minor part of that team. Played his role and deserved his spot in the team, but it wasn't like he was irreplaceable. He wasn't.

The underlined point again - why is it all losses were only Ablett's fault? Why not the other midfielders? Why not Corey or Bartel or Kelly or shock horror - Selwood? Why don't you single them out for criticism?

Selwood had a great year but not as good as Gazzas. His year has been overrated by some here the same way Pendlebury is. Selwood struggled with the tag at times this year.
Played poorly in the QF loss to Freo when he wasn't even tagged - Crowley was on Johnson.
Ablett plays one poor game against Crowley and the media lap it up, ignoring all his BOG performances.
I'd rate the following abouve Selwood-

Ablett - obviously. Never seen anyone shrug tackles better.
Johnson - gets more of the ball, kicks more goals, more creative, can waste it though
Mitchell - doesn't get much cudos because he doesn't do fancy look away handballs, run through players, triple blind turns, etc. like Rioli does. He does the most important thing though - win the 'hard ball, select the right option and execute it correctly' as Jeans would say.
Swan - gets more of the ball. Had a down year though.
Dangerfield - cops the best tag every week, wins his own ball and is a great goal kicking mid.

Id have Selwood ahead of Pendelbury though - does he ever get tagged?

Except for the fact we're talking about Ablett vs Selwood at the end of 2013 going into 2014... Not Ablett vs Selwood in 2010 which you keep talking about.

That was 3 years ago and irreverent to this thread. So yes, you look like you're sooking still...

Except for the fact we're talking about Ablett vs Selwood at the end of 2013 going into 2014... Not Ablett vs Selwood in 2010 which you keep talking about.

That was 3 years ago and irreverent to this thread. So yes, you look like you're sooking still...

Even more striking is the fact that in this (apparently) shocking year by Ablett, he averaged 31.5 touches a game while still kicking 44 goals! Sort of completely destroys the notion he spent all his time running around the backline getting easy touches. Unless he was kicking 100 metre goals every week, which I suspect we'd remember.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back