Could some teams do with a bit of re-branding?

Remove this Banner Ad

Balance

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
As the title suggests, I think some teams could change their image/name/mascot/brand etc.

Western Bulldogs need it the most. They have done so in the past, changing from Footscray to "Western". The problem with this is... where the hell is Western? ... oh you mean the west suburbs of Melbourne? They want to represent all the western suburbs (hence the prior name change), so why not: West Melbourne? To a lesser extent, change "bulldogs" to just "dogs". That way they broaden their appeal imo, instead of having a ******* bulldog which has stuff-all appeal for christ's sake. West Melbourne Dogs.

This is just for fun:

Country Vic Kangaroos
West Melbourne Dogs
Hawthorn to change brown/yellow to maroon/yellow (which is the way they've gone anyway, might as well change to a true maroon).
Port, drop the teal and just give us light blue.
Eagles, instead of yellow, white and dark blue, just use medium yellow and medium blue. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawthorn to change brown/yellow to maroon/yellow (which is the way they've gone anyway, might as well change to a true maroon)
Piss off mate

Our colours are brown and gold. We've worn those colours for 100 years.
We don't care if other people don't like our colours. They're OURS.

You wanna talk about "rebranding"?

How about you look in your own backyard and do something about that ridiculous "Power" nickname, logo and crappy song

Port-Power-Logo.png

:rolleyes::thumbsu:

A grey fist holding a white lightning bolt? WTF????
I never understood why Port chose the nickname "Power" over the "Sharks"

Anyway, there is a whole board dedicated to this s**t where Big Footy's budding fashion designers gather to discuss fashions and colour combinations and share make-up tips

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do prefer the Footscray Bulldogs, I think a location that rings true is a good fit. Its a bit lost on the western bit on the East coast to be honest, for me anyway.

Branding is a double edged sword, The Dockers copped one a few years ago, i feel for the better. New theme song which is a big improvement, but utterly short, redesigned jumper with chevrons as the focal point instead of the anchor which created an uproar initially, but now is generally accepted as a better kit. Lost alot of branding, particularly of what a docker is, but now its seems alot cleaner and less gimmicky.

I personally wouldn't change a thing though, i think the GWS Giants was a mistake in branding initially, Particularly after following the Suns, it seemed NBA/NFL Inspired, but now I would be dissappointed if they changed a thing.

Last edited:
As the title suggests, I think some teams could change their image/name/mascot/brand etc.

Western Bulldogs need it the most. They have done so in the past, changing from Footscray to "Western". The problem with this is... where the hell is Western? ... oh you mean the west suburbs of Melbourne? They want to represent all the western suburbs (hence the prior name change), so why not: West Melbourne? To a lesser extent, change "bulldogs" to just "dogs". That way they broaden their appeal imo, instead of having a fuking bulldog which has stuff-all appeal for christ's sake. West Melbourne Dogs.

This is just for fun:

Country Vic Kangaroos
West Melbourne Dogs
Hawthorn to change brown/yellow to maroon/yellow (which is the way they've gone anyway, might as well change to a true maroon).
Port, drop the teal and just give us light blue.
Eagles, instead of yellow, white and dark blue, just use medium yellow and medium blue. :rolleyes:
Maybe after you tell me what a power is :)

it is a little silly that we have three 'West' teams in the league and no other direction names, but not a fan generally of changing names.

edit: doh, forgot North Melbourne.

I do prefer the Footscray Bulldogs, I think a location that rings true is a good fit. Its a bit lost on the western bit on the East coast to be honest, for me anyway.

Branding is a double edged sword, The Dockers copped one a few years ago, i feel for the better. New theme song which is a big improvement, but utterly short, redesigned jumper with chevrons as the focal point instead of the anchor which created an uproar initially, but now is generally accepted as a better kit. Lost alot of branding, particularly of what a docker is, but now its seems alot cleaner and less gimmicky.

I personally wouldn't change a thing though, i think the GWS Giants was a mistake in branding initially, Particularly after following the Suns, it seemed NBA Inspired, but now I would be dissappointed if they changed a thing.
neither a big change, nor an improvement, imo at least.

Maybe after you tell me what a power is :)

The way we played last year. :cool:

Not every Port fan likes it, many want Magpie back. I like it, simple and meaningful.

The way we played last year. :cool:

Not every Port fan likes it, many want Magpie back. I like it, simple and meaningful.
But power can be turned off also...lol
I've always wondered like the other poster stipulated, as to why use that name instead of a icon that means something, same as whats a Blue:)

neither a big change, nor an improvement, imo at least.

Well.

1. Reduced to just 1 minute, from 3 minutes.

2. No more "Freo Heave Ho"

3. No "dock dock dockers" 3/4 way through the song (Part most disliked).

4. Added Trumpet to the start.

5. No build up towards the big final chorus like previous version.

Dunno about improvement, but there were big changes.

Probably my biggest gripe is the length, I do prefer the Freo Heave ho part to be in, but from a marketing point of view it was safe to leave it out. I would like to see a lengthier version.

Well.

Probably my biggest gripe is the length, I do prefer the Freo Heave ho part to be in, but from a marketing point of view it was safe to leave it out. I would like to see a lengthier version.

The best part about our new song is that it comes on a lot more after games. The old one was few and far between.

Well.

Yeah, i dunno, mate. Personally, I think the intro and Freo heave-ho was always the best part. The new version is somehow even more cheesy and naff, even without the "dock dock dockers" bit, and just an over all mess. Too many ridiculous guitar solos!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back