Could some teams do with a bit of re-branding?

Remove this Banner Ad

My preferences in regards to names.

Western Bulldogs -> West Melbourne Football Club (West Melbourne Bulldogs)
West Coast Eagles -> Perth Football Club (Perth Eagles)
Greater Western Sydney Giants -> West Sydney Giants
Nailed it. Those names would fit well, although someone mentioned that West Coast cannot have that name.

And Port and Fremantle could do with a different nickname too I would say.

I like the idea of "Port Adelaide Pirates" that I have heard people mention before. It goes well

For Fremantle, I think "Fremantle Panthers" would be a good nickname. They have a dark purple theme going on anyway, so I think it would work

As for the A-League example....I meant the AFL comp start up should've been new melbourne franchises...

Eg...

Melbourne Knights
Melbourne Rangers
Geelong Cats
Perth Eagles
Fremantle Dockers
Adelaide Crows
Port Adelaide Power
Sydney Swans
Brisbane Bears
Hobart Devils
Canberra Kings
Gold Coast Dolphins

Twelve teams, new franchises like west coast was in the 80s. And in time expand naturally into other regions.
And watch the fans of the existing Melbourne clubs ignore the new league and follow their clubs in the VFA? Really?

Nailed it. Those names would fit well, although someone mentioned that West Coast cannot have that name.

I like the idea of "Port Adelaide Pirates" that I have heard people mention before. It goes well

For Fremantle, I think "Fremantle Panthers" would be a good nickname. They have a dark purple theme going on anyway, so I think it would work

Hope you're making fun of ludicrous suggestions given for Victorian teams by coming up with you're own interstate ideas.

Good try but nah.. Penrith Panthers has that and don't think copying off from a National league would work anyway..

Good try but nah.. Penrith Panthers has that and don't think copying off from a National league would work anyway..
Do Penrith own the panthers species? Surely you can have two teams with the same nickname in different codes.

For what it's worth, Richmond Tigers and West Tigers have the same nickname and both are in a Nationwide league

When a fan says that their own club needs a change then ill take notice. Otherwise this is just trolling dressed up for the main board.
Or, y'know, people actually think it'd be a better fit. Don't have to live in the area to have an opinion on a club's brand.

Take off the tin foil hat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only in Australia. Adolescent marketing practices.

you fail to understand the market, unlike victoria it seems, nobody up here identify's with suburbs, in Sydney if your from manly you're from the north shore, If your from Maroubra you're from South Sydney. If your from Balmain your from the inner west and so on and so forth.

It comes from a city having over 226 years of history in an unplanned city. Generations of people have grown up in there own little part of the city. a high level of immigration meant most people stuck to their own in their own little areas, Additionally economic and social barriers kept people of leaving. as such the locations in Sydney, the areas that people are from are far more important then some Suburb.

What people outside of Sydney just don't get is there's Sydney and there's Sydney. The truth is when people in Sydney refer to the west or the north or the east as another country, their not just overtly exaggerating, there's a level of truth behind it. The division within Sydney is fair more important to people within Sydney then any outsider could possibly understand. A suburb is meaningless, but a region? Some people spend their entire lives without the opportunity to ever leave it for more then a week.

There was an old newspaper article i read, hard on stereotypes but overall accurate never the less. Most of this country, The division is over how much you earn, In Sydney its over where you live.

Its why the NRL teams were nicknamed by things associated with the region they were from, the fibros, the watersliders, the sea gulls and so on and so forth even official club names like the Rabbitohs, Panthers and Bears have associations with a specific region of Sydney. They aren't picked because they Sound good or a team just needed a nickname.

fair from adolescent, it is a fact of life in a 200+ year old city that wasn't planned, regions aren't arbitrary lines on a map, A large part of Sydney's history is a division between regions. Your squabbles over suburbs that should be kin are seen as petty and why anyone would follow a team when they don't come from that area seems like they chose to support teams on a whim.

Its not about telling people this is your team, its about people feeling like they didn't have one previously because of the divide.

The fact the AFL managed to * this up with the name GWS is hardly surprising given the comments of Victorians in this thread. You just don't understand. nor do i think you could understand.

When easts and souths clashed it was akin to the biggest derby/showdown rivalry the AFL has ever seen but far more passionate and far more violent, Because that was how it always was. SoO even more so, Qld was "invading" "our game" not NSW's game, not Australias game, Sydney's game the only thing that unites the city is an outsider thinking they are our equal. Today in a world where we are forced to begrudgingly admit other places in Australia actually exist this isn't as full on as it used to be, But the notion still stands.

No new club will ever be successful if they pick some suburb. Because clubs like Manly, Parramatta and Penrith don't stand for a suburb, They stand for what the region was referred to at the time they were founded. and no auburn isn't a region people identify with. never have, never will.

all the giants had to do was not call themselves GWS, a desperate bid to unify all of Western Sydney under one club is as short sighted as thinking the Swans would or could take over ALL of Sydney.

a region which identifies with giants will emerge naturally and sure you will get a few ring ins from areas all over the city, But the main support like the swans main support will grow up around where they play. Campbelltown will never be giants territory any where other then some idiotic map at AFL house. It will work like this because this is how Sydney works. always has done, always will.

Last edited:
you fail to understand the market, unlike victoria it seems, nobody up here identify's with suburbs, in Sydney if your from manly you're from the north shore, If your from Maroubra you're from South Sydney. If your from Balmain your from the inner west and so on and so forth.

It comes from a city having over 226 years of history in an unplanned city. Generations of people have grown up in there own little part of the city. a high level of immigration meant most people stuck to their own in their own little areas, Additionally economic and social barriers kept people of leaving. as such the locations in Sydney, the areas that people are from are far more important then some Suburb.

What people outside of Sydney just don't get is there's Sydney and there's Sydney. The truth is when people in Sydney refer to the west or the north or the east as another country, their not just overtly exaggerating, there's a level of truth behind it. The division within Sydney is fair more important to people within Sydney then any outsider could possibly understand. A suburb is meaningless, but a region? Some people spend their entire lives without the opportunity to ever leave it for more then a week.

There was an old newspaper article i read, hard on stereotypes but overall accurate never the less. Most of this country, The division is over how much you earn, In Sydney its over where you live.

Its why the NRL teams were nicknamed by things associated with the region they were from, the fibros, the watersliders, the sea gulls and so on and so forth even official club names like the Rabbitohs, Panthers and Bears have associations with a specific region of Sydney. They aren't picked because they Sound good or a team just needed a nickname.

fair from adolescent, it is a fact of life in a 200+ year old city that wasn't planned, regions aren't arbitrary lines on a map, A large part of Sydney's history is a division between regions. Your squabbles over suburbs that should be kin are seen as petty and why anyone would follow a team when they don't come from that area seems like they chose to support teams on a whim.

Its not about telling people this is your team, its about people feeling like they didn't have one previously because of the divide.

The fact the AFL managed to **** this up with the name GWS is hardly surprising given the comments of Victorians in this thread. You just don't understand. nor do i think you could understand.

When easts and souths clashed it was akin to the biggest derby/showdown rivalry the AFL has ever seen but far more passionate and far more violent, Because that was how it always was. SoO even more so, Qld was "invading" "our game" not NSW's game, not Australias game, Sydney's game the only thing that unites the city is an outsider thinking they are our equal. Today in a world where we are forced to begrudgingly admit other places in Australia actually exist this isn't as full on as it used to be, But the notion still stands.

No new club will ever be successful if they pick some suburb. Because clubs like Manly, Parramatta and Penrith don't stand for a suburb, They stand for what the region was referred to at the time they were founded. and no auburn isn't a region people identify with. never have, never will.

all the giants had to do was not call themselves GWS, a desperate bid to unify all of Western Sydney under one club is as short sighted as thinking the Swans would or could take over ALL of Sydney.

a region which identifies with giants will emerge naturally and sure you will get a few ring ins from areas all over the city, But the main support like the swans main support will grow up around where they play. Campbelltown will never be giants territory any where other then some idiotic map at AFL house. It will work like this because this is how Sydney works. always has done, always will.
Agree with the 1st half of your post and disagree with the last half

Agree with the 1st half of your post and disagree with the last half

that's because your an optimist.
don't get me wrong GWS has done alot of things right the jumpers a good design, the colours are a good combo. club songs great, team appeals to be very blue collar. The Canberra connection is a great way to not only grow the brand but bring in revenue.

But GWS as a prospect, is a bridge too far. means nothing now of course the amount of branding invested with the G means it cant be dropped without setting the club back by a far bit, for better or worse it will stay for a long while.

also complete personal taste but i ******* hate your mascot, it looks like a muppet. I understand why its like that and its good marketing for kids which is the main thing about a mascot. But god damn:

This weeks game is brought to by the Letter G.
giantsmascot2.jpg

Why Panthers?

Dockers at least has some loose link to Fremantle's port traditions.

And it's a perfectly decent name.

Fremantle has managed to build a strong brand over the last fifteen years. No need to ruin it.

Why Panthers?

Dockers at least has some loose link to Fremantle's port traditions.

And it's a perfectly decent name.

Fremantle has managed to build a strong brand over the last fifteen years. No need to ruin it.
I don't think it would ruin Fremantle's brand, but you have a point when saying "don't try to fix what is broken". I don't mind "the Dockers" staying, but I just like that nickname for them personally and think it would fit well.

I don't think it would ruin Fremantle's brand, but you have a point when saying "don't try to fix what is broken". I don't mind "the Dockers" staying, but I just like that nickname for them personally and think it would fit well.

Dockers fit's more.

Fremantle is a port.

Panthers would just be random.

We had West in our name first and have the best sounding West name.

Rack off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back