Could some teams do with a bit of re-branding?

Remove this Banner Ad

Power only need their logo touched up.
Teals a sick color and they FINALLY cleaned their Guernseys up, one of the best in the league now I reckon.

I'm happy with our teal, with the black it makes for the best colour combination in the AFL. But I'm not a really fan of the "Power" moniker. Everytime I'm at the footy and yell "CARN THE POWER" I cringe a little inside.
You're supposed to yell out "Caaaarn port!"

As others have mentioned the "power" moniker works well for the club as any other animal (etc) would have competed with the "magpie" moniker & would have no historical or geographical links to justify its introduction anyway. The name whilst generic is also dynamic at the same time in that it sits alone in a league above "mere mortal" animals & such.

One could assume the name "power" pays homage to the club's status in the SA footy landscape over so many years & also reflects the club's evolution from a suburban club that, through sustained success, gained entrance into the national football stage (the only non Victorian club introduced into the AFL that comes from true suburban roots).
Power was also written in the club's creed, so there's a nod to that historical link too.

We dont need a name change, the only thing we need is a logo/jumper change back to something more historic, getting rid of navy and just having royal blue and gold, also return of winged jumpers of course. This re-branding was done by lmach and is probably one of the best things ive seen image.jpg

Last edited:
Well.

1. Reduced to just 1 minute, from 3 minutes.

2. No more "Freo Heave Ho"

3. No "dock dock dockers" 3/4 way through the song (Part most disliked).

4. Added Trumpet to the start.

5. No build up towards the big final chorus like previous version.

Dunno about improvement, but there were big changes.

Probably my biggest gripe is the length, I do prefer the Freo Heave ho part to be in, but from a marketing point of view it was safe to leave it out. I would like to see a lengthier version.

Freo went from having the most "out there" branding to the most boring.
What's the point of the Fremantle theme song without the "Freo, heave ho"?

Fremantle is in love with Carlton.

Blues were the first team to adopt a white strip....with that simple beauty of reversing the scheme (white with blue monogram). And Fremantle were the next, adopting the same beautiful simplicity.

And then Fremantle did the 'reach-around' by changing their logo to resemble Carlton's.

And now Melbourne and Essendon are adopting the monogram concept.

Fremantle is in love with Carlton.

Blues were the first team to adopt a white strip....with that simple beauty of reversing the scheme (white with blue monogram). And Fremantle were the next, adopting the same beautiful simplicity.

And then Fremantle did the 'reach-around' by changing their logo to resemble Carlton's.

And now Melbourne and Essendon are adopting the monogram concept.

I know you're taking the piss, but the Vic clubs dusting off their old monograms from back in the day ain't bad

Some look awesome on caps

that's because your an optimist.
don't get me wrong GWS has done alot of things right the jumpers a good design, the colours are a good combo. club songs great, team appeals to be very blue collar. The Canberra connection is a great way to not only grow the brand but bring in revenue.

But GWS as a prospect, is a bridge too far. means nothing now of course the amount of branding invested with the G means it cant be dropped without setting the club back by a far bit, for better or worse it will stay for a long while.

also complete personal taste but i ******* hate your mascot, it looks like a muppet. I understand why its like that and its good marketing for kids which is the main thing about a mascot. But god damn:

This weeks game is brought to by the Letter G.
giantsmascot2.jpg

Look GWS stunned me at 1st. But it has grown on me to the point i dont want it to change.
We are our own club, when someone says Greater Western sydney or GWS people know who we are. If we were just Western Sydney then we would get the old "which one are you talking about"

He is popular with the ladies ;)
But yeah not a fan of him.
Mascots are always more for kids anyway. So doesnt really bother me.

Look GWS stunned me at 1st. But it has grown on me to the point i dont want it to change.
We are our own club, when someone says Greater Western sydney or GWS people know who we are. If we were just Western Sydney then we would get the old "which one are you talking about"

He is popular with the ladies ;)
But yeah not a fan of him.
Mascots are always more for kids anyway. So doesnt really bother me.

i've been alerted that my posts have been too buddy buddy with your mob and thus i feel compelled to reply by suggesting your team is a pack of flogs that should immediately fold. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i've been alerted that my posts have been too buddy buddy with your mob and thus i feel compelled to reply by suggesting your team is a pack of flogs that should immediately fold. :p
Yeah i noticed.

Umm your clubs nothing but a failed vic franchise that is trying to put fingers in 2 pies.

Oh and you think sydney finishes in glebe.

Western Bulldogs has always shitted me from day one. Fair enough if they want to distance yourselves from the connotations of the name Footscray, but geez, why couldn't they call themselves the Western Suburbs Bulldogs. That I could have dealt with. At least that's a place.

I'm still trying to figure out which Bulldogs they are west of.

BTW the G on the jersey is for Giants not Greater. So theoretically they can change the name GWS and it wouldn't affect the G or branding.

And teams often do rebrand themselves. Even for a live trial of a few years. Could post so many examples but you can figure them all out. Both in USA and Australian sport.

no it doesn't the G has been a key selling point to corporate sponsors and marketers under the moniker of Greater Western Sydney. The business group behind GWS marketed and backed the G long before the "giants" became incorporated into the clubs identity. While there's some overlap, Make no mistake from the moment the club settled on GWS the G has represented the "greater" in greater western Sydney.

the GWS G, extends far beyond what you see on guernsey. As i said it's too late to change it.

Why?

The Ottawa Roughriders and the Saskatchewan Roughriders coexisted for 86 years in the same league until the Ottawa team folded in 1996.

I think we can cope with two Magpies.

To be fair it was the Ottawa Rough Riders and the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Sadly the newly revived Ottawa team is the Redblacks. The ridiculous notion that there should be clarity and logic in sport! :rolleyes:

I know our song is s**t but I love it and don't want it changed at any price. POWER! :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back