Universal Love Could the Fitz be the answer to the question people aren't asking (yet)?

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Fitz in the side with Pedersen gives us great flexibility in that they can both switch forward or back (probably along with Dunn and McDonald) if they're having a dirty day plus the ability to pinch hit in the ruck at times. The dilemma is how to fit them in without getting too tall.

T-Mac stays down back.

One win and everything is rainbows and unicorns.

Come on buddy, it's not the first time it's been mentioned. A few of us are keen to explore any alternative that isn't Dawes. He's got the engine, pace and strength to do it. If we were a mid-table side instead of a s**t side I think we'd have seen a bit more experimentation with him.

T-Mac stays down back.

One win and everything is rainbows and unicorns.
I'm not saying it to fit the Fitz into the side, I genuinely believe [and have done for some time] that McDonald could be our answer at CHF. Helps that I've always believed in Garland at CHB too, though I'd rather have Frost developing at FB than Dunn.

He mainly defended Boyd and Cordy at ground level. His best marks and spoils came against smaller players.

I can't really remember too many contests where he was one out against a big opponent and he hasn't faced a good one yet.

Tom McDonald can defend the 200cm types. If a team has 2 and they are good then we are in trouble with Dunn and Garland so need to try Fitzy. But I'm not sold on him.

I still think Frost is the real answer. He's not quite as tall but he's got a good leap, is much stronger looking than Fitzy and probably just as fast.

McDonald, Dunn and Garland for now. Fitzy if he's good enough. Frost and Oscar McDonald for the future.

I'm not saying it to fit the Fitz into the side, I genuinely believe [and have done for some time] that McDonald could be our answer at CHF. Helps that I've always believed in Garland at CHB too, though I'd rather have Frost developing at FB than Dunn.

Fitz did really well and deserves more chances, dont get me wrong.

CHF is always mentioned as the hardest position to play on the ground, guys like Hurley and Carlile have really struggled after excelling down back.

He mainly defended Boyd and Cordy at ground level. His best marks and spoils came against smaller players.

I can't really remember too many contests where he was one out against a big opponent and he hasn't faced a good one yet.

Tom McDonald can defend the 200cm types. If a team has 2 and they are good then we are in trouble with Dunn and Garland so need to try Fitzy. But I'm not sold on him.

I still think Frost is the real answer. He's not quite as tall but he's got a good leap, is much stronger looking than Fitzy and probably just as fast.

McDonald, Dunn and Garland for now. Fitzy if he's good enough. Frost and Oscar McDonald for the future.

O Mac is about 197cm too, good size.

Leave T Mac down back. He's practically an AA backman now. Who moves a league-leading KPP out of his specialty? He's the reason we don't have a percentage of 33.

True, but it's easier to do a job down back than it is up forward. Not important now thatthe Hogan / Pedersen combination plus Garlett, Howe, Kent, whoever else rotates up front means we seem to actually have a functional forward line for the first time in years, but I'd try McDonald up forward instead of Dawes if either of the two big fellas goes out. Key backs only need to be competitive jobbers.

I reckon Fitz in the side with Pedersen gives us great flexibility in that they can both switch forward or back (probably along with Dunn and McDonald) if they're having a dirty day plus the ability to pinch hit in the ruck at times. The dilemma is how to fit them in without getting too tall.
"Flexibility" is the word. Something we lack is the capacity to change the team around if we're getting smashed in certain areas. With Fitz & Pedo, we have good options if Spencer or whoever is getting smashed in the first ruck, or if we need to try a different tall forward (move Fitz from defence), or if an opposition tall forward is giving us grief. If we're getting physically smashed in the midfield, we could even move Dunn in there (remember his season as a tagger?) and Pedo to defence. These are options we just don't have with Dawes in the team.

And I don't see why we couldn't have a "horses for courses" selection strategy for Fitz - if there's no potentially dangerous tall forward in the other team, he doesn't play.

And one particular passage of play that convinced me about Fitz as a defender was early in the third, when Dickson ran onto the ball in the forward pocket and Fitz had to corral him to stop him being able to get a clean shot on goal. To my surprise he corralled him perfectly, forcing Dickson to kick it backwards, (which was when Toumpas had that 50/50 ball in the air to go for knowing he'd be smashed, and he did). Takes a very very smart defender to corral a speedy forward that close to goal, let alone a 200cm 100kg one.

"Flexibility" is the word. Something we lack is the capacity to change the team around if we're getting smashed in certain areas. With Fitz & Pedo, we have good options if Spencer or whoever is getting smashed in the first ruck, or if we need to try a different tall forward (move Fitz from defence), or if an opposition tall forward is giving us grief. If we're getting physically smashed in the midfield, we could even move Dunn in there (remember his season as a tagger?) and Pedo to defence. These are options we just don't have with Dawes in the team.

And I don't see why we couldn't have a "horses for courses" selection strategy for Fitz - if there's no potentially dangerous tall forward in the other team, he doesn't play.

And one particular passage of play that convinced me about Fitz as a defender was early in the third, when Dickson ran onto the ball in the forward pocket and Fitz had to corral him to stop him being able to get a clean shot on goal. To my surprise he corralled him perfectly, forcing Dickson to kick it backwards, (which was when Toumpas had that 50/50 ball in the air to go for knowing he'd be smashed, and he did). Takes a very very smart defender to corral a speedy forward that close to goal, let alone a 200cm 100kg one.

When do we play North? TV audiences everywhere looking forward to the Fitz marking up Ben Brown in high definition on the big screen.

Must've learned from his Casey game a couple of weeks ago when he rushed at Ahmed Saad (?) in the pocket and barely laid a finger on him resulting in an easy goal conceded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must've learned from his Casey game a couple of weeks ago when he rushed at Ahmed Saad (?) in the pocket and barely laid a finger on him resulting in an easy goal conceded.
Saad belted Terlich that game. Hard to believe DT is till pulling an AFL salary.

True, but it's easier to do a job down back than it is up forward. Not important now thatthe Hogan / Pedersen combination plus Garlett, Howe, Kent, whoever else rotates up front means we seem to actually have a functional forward line for the first time in years, but I'd try McDonald up forward instead of Dawes if either of the two big fellas goes out. Key backs only need to be competitive jobbers.
That's true, but the way I see it. Our delivery into the forward line is still very poor and not enough entries. The ball spends more time in our defensive half, so if we didn't have TMac acting as our defensive general, we'd be getting thrashed by even more against the better teams. I think we need him there just to stop us from haemorrhaging goals.

I think we need to back our forward line to develop anyway. In the end, it's our midfield that needs to improve for the good of both ends.

Not for much longer, Roosy will get to cut him from a list for the second time.
I wonder how often this happens? Being cut by the same coach at two clubs? You would think Terlich would be the first in years, don't think Ross or Mick had anyone like that.

I wonder how often this happens? Being cut by the same coach at two clubs? You would think Terlich would be the first in years, don't think Ross or Mick had anyone like that.

Yeah, dunno but Dean's gonna be pretty pissed off when Roos finishes up with us next year and turns up at the local club he's playing for!

Pls never move Tom away from defence, unless Oscar becomes a brilliant defender too.

Some players work better going for the ball, some work better preventing others from getting it - Fitz might just fall into the latter. Hoping we see more good stuff from him.

I reckon Jake Carlisle is a good comparison. He's 198cm, 98kgs and quick, very similar to Fitz?

Needs a bump. Fitz came out of the blocks well against the Dogs, hasn't it matched it since. Hasn't been terrible but can be a liability with the ball in hands, and geez that free kick.

What are peoples thoughts after a few weeks?
The late omission of witts stuffed us. Thought Fitz was reasonable at keeping white quiet ( who wouldn't? ) but when Mcdonald was soundly beaten by cloke he got moved on to a small and then to the forward line. I would much rather have seen tmac to white and Fitz into the forward line. Someone to stop their loose man in defense god dammit

His defending is okay. Good reach and closing speed, can get out-bodied but looks like he could be reasonable depth cover. Ball use isn't great, his ruckwork is average at best and he can go forward clunk one and kick the odd goal. I'd give him another year, given the state of our list. He's fringe 22 at best though.

Needs a bump. Fitz came out of the blocks well against the Dogs, hasn't it matched it since. Hasn't been terrible but can be a liability with the ball in hands, and geez that free kick.

What are peoples thoughts after a few weeks?

He's had one really good game, one shocker and one hit-and-miss.

He made a few blues today but also had some impressive moments. We've got to remember he's only played half a season (in total) as a backman, so there could be something there ...

I'd be open to playing him when an opponent has three big talls, but it could be a horses for courses selection.

I'd also be open to trading him at the end of the year though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back