Could We Leave J Frawley At Full Forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Billy Demon

Senior List
Jun 12, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
I mentioned this in another thread but looking for thoughts from others. Frawley seems to have found a new lease on life at FF so maybe keep him there - maybe he could turn into an 80 goal a year FF and want to stay at MFC for the next 10 years. Dawes at CHF and try J Hogan at CHB where his back might be better protected from opposition morons trying to smash him from behind in pack mark situations. Then, go all out with $700k per year to buy another key back/FB and we might end up with a goal to goal line to build a Top 8 side around. Alternative might be that Frawley walks and J Hogan takes a battering each week at FF or CHF. What do you think?

Last edited:
I'm going to treat this as if it's a genuine post. You have an All-Australian defender, who is probably in the top 5 in the league when confident and fit. On the other hand, you have an emerging beast of a FF who may well be the next big thing. I just don't know why we would change it. Frawley is doing a great job of being a swingman for now, but when Hogan gets fit, he'll go down back where he is needed and maybe then this club can start to be marked on wins/losses. On Hogans back, he'll play when he is 100% fit. That means, he doesn't need to worry about normal contested work. What we do with that 700k is anyone's guess, but I'd guess it will go to an A grade midfielder, or perhaps another forward. Who could play that 3rd tall. We've invested heavily in T-Mac, Frawley, Garland, Grimes and then Clark, Dawes, Hogan, Howe up forward. Clark alters the plans, but with the cash could possibly be replaced, the same can be said for Frawley, as in his case we should get another very high draft pick, and that along with probably 1 million in the salary cap, can be invested into a very, very, very good footballer, or a couple for that matter.

I like the idea of Frawley forward, that was the best game I've seen him play since he was all australian in 2010. He put his hand up to play forward a few years ago but Neeld said no opting to play Garland forward, he wants to play forward and he seemed like he really enjoyed it on the weekend.

But not sure he should be a permanent forward, depending on injuries/or match ups he should go back

We could have have a swinging forward backline. Up forward Frawley, Hogan, Dawes and Dunn, backline of McDonald, Garland, Pederson and Howe. Frawley, Dunn, Howe and Pedo could be the swingers.

Definitely not until Garland returns. Carlton don't have any gun key forward (or gun forward full stop) so it was okay but what happens when we play against Sydney and Buddy is there? He'd monster McDonald.

The way I look at it, this team has struggled for two years with him in the backline, it can't possibly get any worse, so thinking he's a necessity back there imo is stubborn. If he's contributing and playing well forward of center, leave him there indefinitely.

Move Frawley up forward when we play against a team who are undermanned in their front.
Give him reward for playing well at FB when we can.

I think next weekend will be interesting, particularly if Judy is back.

Right now I would send TMac to Day and Judy to Lynch, but still leave Chip and Dawes forward.

Definitely not until Garland returns. Carlton don't have any gun key forward (or gun forward full stop) so it was okay but what happens when we play against Sydney and Buddy is there? He'd monster McDonald.
Buddy monsters Frawley anyway, but certain games Chip will have to go back, this week against the suns I can't see why he can't play forward.

Bit much to say he's a potential 80 goal a year forward. He's been useful up there the past couple of weeks though and as others have said it good that he has that extra string to his bow. I'd leave him there for now but if we're struggling down back or we play a side with a lot of talls he'll have to go back. He's still a very good 1v1 defender, even if his rebounding and disposal is a bit sloppy.

Chip will probably stay forward if Roos thinks the Defence can do without him.Think he will go down back when we come up against a bigger(as in taller) forward line than the Blues put up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do like the idea of Jesse Hogan starting off at CHB - it'd take a lot of heat and speculation off of him while giving him the time to acclimatise to AFL football, before we send him forward. With his body size he'd be pretty capable of holding his own against some bigger forwards. As others have said though you would want Frawley in defence against Sydney (Franklin and Tippett), Hawthorn (Roughead, Hale, Breust, Gunston) and Richmond (Frawley always towels Riewoldt).

We have a bunch of good tall backs and Chris Dawes in the forward line. The kid knows exactly where to lead and how to protect the ball drop. It would be a monumental waste to have him in the back line unless his weird goal kicking routine turns into the yips.

The best key forward in the league is Nick Reiwoldt. Who do we send to him, time after time, with great effect? TMac.

He got slaughtered the last game because the poor bastard could hardly walk after that corky. In each of their previous meetings, he's more than held his own against Nick.

Our lack of forward targets made our midfield noticeably hesitant to kick forward earlier this year. Add Frawley and he delivers 6 and 14 marks (the most of anyone on the field both games), while we win one game, and concede less than 100 points in the loss despite 60 inside 50's against thanks to a midfield that got smashed (to be fair, rain also would keep the score low).

The point is, he makes a bigger difference up forward than down back, even with Garland missing. Pedersen is a perfectly serviceable defender. Hell, even Kyle Cheney is doing a great job at the Hawks, and I guarantee the Hawks would swap Pedo for Cheney in a heartbeat.

Hell, even Kyle Cheney is doing a great job at the Hawks, and I guarantee the Hawks would swap Pedo for Cheney in a heartbeat.

Don't mean to nitpick, but what are you basing that on? Every time I've seen Cheney play for the Hawks he's looked pretty ordinary. As I said, I'm not having a go, just interested. It could be that we've just seen different sides to his game.

Frawley presented hard like Brad Miller. I thought his field kicking was decent to good but shots on goal was 50/50 at best.

Excellent last week but a role player at best as a forward. Frawley was a AA defender.

But atm Frawley needs to play forward to give us structure.

Pedersen is putrid forward but can play a role down back. No world beater but he can hold up a end.

Without Clark, Maybe Dawes, Hogan and Gawn. Frawley to swing.

**** that Hogan was born to play forward.

David Neitz and Wayne Carey both started down back, I dont mind the Idea of him learning his trade down back

Lyndenn Dunn and Frawley look good forward atm and It would take alot of pressure off him coming in

David Neitz and Wayne Carey both started down back, I dont mind the Idea of him learning his trade down back

Lyndenn Dunn and Frawley look good forward atm and It would take alot of pressure off him coming in
Neitz was behind a bunch of better forwards, Hogan knows his trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back