Could We Leave J Frawley At Full Forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it is good to have guys that can swing. We all know that injuries can * any plans. Good chance that we won't always have Hogan and Dawes in the forward line. Injuries happen and it's good to have guys that can play forward and back. I wouldn't lock Frawley into either end. He is fine up there for now. He seems to be having fun so keep him there for the time being. He might change his mind and stay.

Everyone talked up Hurley as a key forward, and he's had to lick his wounds and move back until he's learned the trade. I think it would be a very "unMelbourne" and excellent "proRoosy" move to start Hoges down the back for his own development.

Hurley is different, he was actually drafted as a KPB and I don't think that he ever looked 100% comfortable forward.

Hurley is different, he was actually drafted as a KPB and I don't think that he ever looked 100% comfortable forward.

He did in that game when Lloyd killed Brad Sewell, Hurley one that match as a forward single handedly and then lived off that for 2 years

Hurley doesn't have any feel for the game with the ball coming towards him. He's large, can catch a ball a bit and he's a good field kick and he's not Jack Watts. He looks the part at a glance I guess. Hogan I'm not going to argue, it'll get tedious. He's not a normal situation, we saw him in some NAB cup when he was 17 or just turned 18 then most of a VFL season where he was a superstar with PERFECT leading/positioning etc. He'll come in like he's always belonged there if his body is right like Lance Whitnall did as a teen.

I think Murphy is showing what the pressure of captaincy can do to a player in an underperforming team. Frankly, it's giving me a faint glimmer of hope for Trengove!

I think Murphy is proving the captaincy shouldnt be handed to someone just because they can rack up 30 touches in a game, A captain is a captain

Jack Trengove was not a captain, Brad Green was not a captain.. Nathan Jones is a captain

No, as interesting and as much I'd like to see it I think Frawley will just be a swingman if the genuine forwards such as Dawes and Hogan are injured. And the Dees still need that real
Big elite backman. Or perhaps he could even switch it around if the current forwards in the game are having an off day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Murphy is showing what the pressure of captaincy can do to a player in an underperforming team. Frankly, it's giving me a faint glimmer of hope for Trengove!
If Trengove can reach the standard of Murphy at his best, we'll have nothing to complain about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with Garry Lyon on this one, at the moment Natanui, exceeds on this appellation.

I hate journalists, ask mick malthouse a question then give him 3 seconds to answer before they blurt out another one.. I could see him getting frustrated at not being allowed to answer the questions

I agree on Natanui though what an overrated hack

Hurley doesn't have any feel for the game with the ball coming towards him. He's large, can catch a ball a bit and he's a good field kick and he's not Jack Watts. He looks the part at a glance I guess. Hogan I'm not going to argue, it'll get tedious. He's not a normal situation, we saw him in some NAB cup when he was 17 or just turned 18 then most of a VFL season where he was a superstar with PERFECT leading/positioning etc. He'll come in like he's always belonged there if his body is right like Lance Whitnall did as a teen.
Do not compare Hogan to Lance Shitnall.

Worth remembering that Carlton were severely undermanned up front yesterday. When we come up against a side with a strong forward line I think we'll need all the help we can get back there.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Yes and no. Not a lot of point in stopping the opposition from scoring goals if we're not kicking them ourselves.

We looked a hell of a lot better structurally with Dawes and Frawley standing up forward. Instead of midfielders looking up and seeing small blokes and chipping it sideways and backwards waiting for an option and then just turning it over, they looked up and kicked long. Given where we are at as a team, I'd much rather see us take the Matthew Knights approach of attack, attack, attack knowing full well that with the options we have in our team, we can address defense down the track. At this stage I feel it's more important to instil confidence in our players, and the best way to do that is give them options to kick at so that they can back themselves in.

Yes and no. Not a lot of point in stopping the opposition from scoring goals if we're not kicking them ourselves.

We looked a hell of a lot better structurally with Dawes and Frawley standing up forward. Instead of midfielders looking up and seeing small blokes and chipping it sideways and backwards waiting for an option and then just turning it over, they looked up and kicked long. Given where we are at as a team, I'd much rather see us take the Matthew Knights approach of attack, attack, attack knowing full well that with the options we have in our team, we can address defense down the track. At this stage I feel it's more important to instil confidence in our players, and the best way to do that is give them options to kick at so that they can back themselves in.
Agreed. I would rather risk defeat by attacking with a chance of victory, than make a certainty of losing by haphazardly defending. The lesson of rounds 1-3 was let backs under pressure have the ball for long enough and they will turn it over. Let them kick to a target and they will get some confidence was the lesson of the Carlton game. It is only one win, but let's face it, at the end of the GWS game we did not know where our next win was coming from. Now we have some targets.

Whitnall would have been a superstar if he wasn't slow and fat. In any case it's pretty clear I was referencing his outstanding football brain.
While I tend to agree about Whitnall, there are a lot of us who would like to think we could have been superstars if we weren't slow and fat. Add in short and the group could increase exponentially.

While I tend to agree about Whitnall, there are a lot of us who would like to think we could have been superstars if we weren't slow and fat. Add in short and the group could increase exponentially.
Not me, I was just s**t. :D

We can leave Frawley forward for most of this year but his strength is defence. I think he and the team will be better for this "all round" education and skill expansion. A bit like Harry Taylor, but not quite as skillful.

Until Garland and Hogan are fit I think he will stay forward

Garland can be used as a FF until Hogan is ready

Until Garland and Hogan are fit I think he will stay forward

Garland can be used as a FF until Hogan is ready
If any of the backs are coming forward, it looks as though it's chip. Garland will come back and resume his role down back, as that's where he excels, and chip will stay forward because of his strength, the fact he's been killing it up there, and because Roos wants to keep him interested and excited by the direction the club is taking.

Hogan is still out, mitch is gone, and our backline is the strongest part of our team and also has the most depth. It's really a no brainer.

Also, it makes Chip a very valuable commodity as a swing man. A Jack Watts type role with a big set of Nuts. Chips is excited about playing forward, you can see it in him clear as day.

Im just short and slow. For now. The fat might come later

Remove this Banner Ad

Back