Could we still make the eight with out Maric?

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
After identifying last season that our game plan is heavily reliant on our contest ball and having Maric do alot of grunt work at stoppages plus his superior aerial work around the ground offering a marking option down the line for the kick up the ground to a contest centre wing etc....
The evidence was there with the win/loss with and with out Maric.

Are we too heavily reliant on crazy eyes?

nut

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Ivan's the heart and soul. We don't need another way. Just find someone to learn from him. A protégé

I think also its our game plan that relies too heavily on him.... especially transfering the ball out of defence down the line. We like to kick to him and his very good at either taking the mark or creating another stoppage, por forcing the ball for another throw in. Its one of the areas we failed at early in the season was we didnt have that hit up player that demanded the ball..(see melbournes sudden improvement went Dawes came back) .. Hampson was more of a hindrance than an option and Griffith was being asked to do too much... and was dropped. Our transitional play out of defence was mostly affected by this and its why I believe we went short options sideways, backwards etc.... trying to find the "cute" way out of defence instead of taking the game on and going long to a contest.
I think if we continue with the same plan next season we will be exposed at being too predictable...... We need to improve our game plan or risk not improving next season again.

Apr 10, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
The competition for finals spots is tight. 6th through to 10th is pretty even - who'd put money on the crows and eagles both missing finals again? So if we continue to play at the same level as last year, missing one key player like Maric could make all the difference... If we are any good it shouldn't matter though

The Rusty Trombone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2007
K Mart Car Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
World Donkey Punch Championships
Maric needs to stay fit for us to make the finals. I don't like the idea of Benny Griff playing out of position again like last year other than to give Maric the smallest of chop outs during the game.

Sam Boulderstone needs to be drafted with our final pick if still available if we are serious about making the 8 because I'm not sure Vickery could handle the position full time either unless he proves otherwise in the VFL but their is a list clogger in his way I reckon.

The competition for finals spots is tight. 6th through to 10th is pretty even - who'd put money on the crows and eagles both missing finals again? So if we continue to play at the same level as last year, missing one key player like Maric could make all the difference... If we are any good it shouldn't matter though
I'd put money on them both having a worse season than this year

Oct 15, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fulham FC, Real Madrid
im gonna say it - and it might be wrong, but i'll put my neck out - Hampson will have a pretty good year next year. if Maric goes down or is rested, Hampson will pick up the slack, and play better than this year. He's had 1 year to get the scum tanking out of his system, and will play RFC footy next year.

BC9_

Yellow & Black ???
Jan 31, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
im gonna say it - and it might be wrong, but i'll put my neck out - Hampson will have a pretty good year next year. if Maric goes down or is rested, Hampson will pick up the slack, and play better than this year. He's had 1 year to get the scum tanking out of his system, and will play RFC footy next year.
Let's be honest the only way is up for Hampson after this year's performance. Hopefully he has a good year!

blunt_tiger

All Australian
Suspended
Aug 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

If ever someone was going to pray

Back