Covers that are better than the original ...

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC

Was just going through this thread and seen this posted which means I have to watch it for what seems like the 100th time. Thanks Baz, I don't like Courtney Barnett at all but this is a great cover by a consistently excellent band.

There are so many LAV's which would be appropriate for this thread, particularly this one:

I heard this for the first time in a while the other day which definitely belongs in this thread in my opinion, although it's probably been posted before:

Fitting with the passing of Errol Brown, Hot Chocolate lead singer, but I always liked this cover.

Sadly, B B King died last weekend aged 89. Here he is playing one of his best known songs with another dearly departed. If you like the sound of a Gibson guitar played by a master guitarist, I suspect you'll like this.

Another one. Bono said they wrote this for B B and were honoured when he agreed to play and sing on it. It was a huge hit.

Bono said he was explaining the simple chord pattern to B B and he said "Man, I don't do chords."

When love comes to town - from Rattle and Hum (but a slightly different version - a rehearsal I think).

Sadly, B B King died last weekend aged 89. Here he is playing one of his best known songs with another dearly departed. If you like the sound of a Gibson guitar played by a master guitarist, I suspect you'll like this.

Fantastic, two of my faves in a performance I haven't seen before, so a big tanks for posting that MR. Incedentally, I had a bit of couch day today and (as you do) I put in Stevie Ray's Live in Austin Texas dvd which was a nice little warm up for Lightning in a Bottle. I strongly encourage any blues lovers to invest in aforementioned discs.

Also, Still got the Blues has some ******* shredding covers on it. He gets on my nerves sometimes, but gee when Gary Moore is good, he's totally brilliant.

Tain't nobody's business if I do, Bessie Smith original (1923)

Eric Clapton's Ain't nobody's business if I do (1994). Piano's the same (props to Chris Stainton for re-creating the feel of the song 70 years later) but the finish (when Clapton puts his glasses on) is to die for. Oh how I wish I'd been there to experience it live.

Very nice get! Not sure how many realise that even though written by Lemmy it was originally done while he was in Hawkwind.

This cover popped up on episode three of True Detective this week - performance by the late country great Conway Twitty. It's definitely better than the original Bette Middler recording.

Very nice get! Not sure how many realise that even though written by Lemmy it was originally done while he was in Hawkwind.

This cover popped up on episode three of True Detective this week - performance by the late country great Conway Twitty. It's definitely better than the original Bette Middler recording.

Thought the same thing when watching True Detective, craps all over Bette's version.

I also like this version of Motorhead by Corduroy, from the very underrated Out Of Here.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Reminds me of this:

Now I love Bruuuuuuce and this song, as soft and commercial as it was, is still one of my favourites, but this is a pretty fair effort I reckon.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
Once I work out how to do the you tube thing I'll add Feel Like Making Love which was recorded originally by Roberta Flack but probably done better by George Benson about 10 years later.

Couldn't find the original done by Roberta Flack. It's a great tune but I just preferred the Benson version, and I grew up with both.

Last edited:
Once I work out how to do the you tube thing I'll add Feel Like Making Love which was recorded originally by Roberta Flack but probably done better by George Benson about 10 years later.

Mate there's nothing tricky to do anymore. Just copy the link and paste it into your post.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
My internet seems to be playing up, I couldn't find the original Roberta Flack version but I lived through both and still think Benson's version is better, personal taste, of course. :)

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none

Thankyou Mr R I just couldn't get it up and going. The Roberta Flack version was good, I should say Eugene McDaniel, but I just thought the Benson version was better. The late 70's changed a lot of us old stages a bit, I was never a fan of the synth bass or synth anything, but used correctly it could sound good. Benson is an excellent musician, a bit in the Miles Davis/Jaco/Eric Clapton mould, he could make anything sound good.

Back