Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hotel quarantine has worked OK elsewhere.
It’s the biggest risk. Why not quarantine people away from cities. Feds control the nations boarder don’t they?

So we refuse international arrivals until we have quarantine away from the cities?
I’m asking why the Feds have not done something about creating purpose built quarantine centres. Surely if another pandemic hits in the future, this would be the most secure option.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m asking why the Feds have not done something about creating purpose built quarantine centres. Surely if another pandemic hits in the future, this would be the most secure option.
Perhaps they considered the purpose built centres unnecessary given the gold standard, state of the art, highly sought after city based system that Victoria had set up.

Quarantine also provided a vital source of income for hotels during a time they would have had few guests. The purpose built centres are probably the way to go for the future, but they were never going to be available when needed during coming months.

Victoria is STILL not accepting overseas' arrivals. I thought it was just suspending them during the lockdown but it seems this is a long term measure. We are a state intent on shirking our national responsibility.

Don't think that's right. It was a 'pause', with the intention to get it up and running again soon.

Perhaps they considered the purpose built centres unnecessary given the gold standard, state of the art, highly sought after city based system that Victoria had set up.

Quarantine also provided a vital source of income for hotels during a time they would have had few guests. The purpose built centres are probably the way to go for the future, but they were never going to be available when needed during coming months.
Shouldn’t they be building them now? Who knows when the next pandemic will hit.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood
Victoria is STILL not accepting overseas' arrivals. I thought it was just suspending them during the lockdown but it seems this is a long term measure. We are a state intent on shirking our national responsibility.
Wait.
You railed against Dan and the quarantine leakages.
And now you want to start the whole thing up again?
Just so you can rail against Dan again I suppose.
Watching the news tonight, nothing much has changed in our hotel quarantine, so best we keep it closed down.

Oct 7, 2001
In the Pocket Rocket, lights ablaze!
AFL Club
Collingwood

The Feds, actually the ADF via the feds, were asked to supply facilities that were out of the CBD and already in existence.
The ADF refused. But should have been directed to run a quarantine operation by the Feds.
Just another failure by the Feds in the returned traveller situation.
The borders are a Federal matter, having been a constant OS traveller you should know that it is Border Force, not VicPol that you deal with upon return.
This is a fact.
And it is a fact that the whole quarantine process should have been a border force operation from the start.

It’s been over a year since the pandemic started. Why haven’t the Feds created national quarantine centres away from cities? Why do we even need hotel quarantine?
No other country has done it. And at this stage it's a joke that the Vics are contemplating and pushing for it. The vaccine has begun to be rolled out, so by the time any facility is completed, hopefully it won't be needed. I'm sure some people would make a killing from land and construction if they were built though.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
They should send back our boys who died defending them.
These Europeans get to swan around freely with minimal lockdowns and open borders, then when the cases mount, start purloining the vaccines bound for elsewhere for themselves. Still, the Australians have as always thought they were playing by Queensbury's rules, only to receive a couple of low blows as anticipated at times such as this, when one man's order can become another's possession without so much as an objection to be raised.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
No other country has done it. And at this stage it's a joke that the Vics are contemplating and pushing for it. The vaccine has begun to be rolled out, so by the time any facility is completed, hopefully it won't be needed. I'm sure some people would make a killing from land and construction if they were built though.
It would be like that time we had a severe water shortage and constructed a desalination plant that now cost $608m a year to run if it's not used. It's a knee jerk reaction to a quarantine leak which will not occur again if nebulisers are banned from entry. The facility I think was proposed to be built at Avalon airport so passengers can walk from the tarmac into the centre and staff will stay on site. Flights would surely have to be diverted to Avalon from Tullamarine?

We managed to set up off shore detention for boat people. How many other countries did that?

The Feds, actually the ADF via the feds, were asked to supply facilities that were out of the CBD and already in existence.
The ADF refused. But should have been directed to run a quarantine operation by the Feds.
Just another failure by the Feds in the returned traveller situation.
The borders are a Federal matter, having been a constant OS traveller you should know that it is Border Force, not VicPol that you deal with upon return.
This is a fact.
And it is a fact that the whole quarantine process should have been a border force operation from the start.
Feds have not been in charge of borders. States, including Victoria have insisted on being in charge of their own borders, including who could arrive from overseas. You haven't been able to enter Queensland and WA unless you are a resident of those states, regardless of whether you were coming from interstate or overseas.

We managed to set up off shore detention for boat people. How many other countries did that?
Yes we came up with a horrendous solution to an issue. More of a reason to not go out on our own with an innovative idea. Plus the idea wasn't on the table until it was not likely to be necessary. I can't help but feel that the whole thing is a joke to avoid responsibility or perhaps corrupt to line some pockets.

Yes we came up with a horrendous solution to an issue. More of a reason to not go out on our own with an innovative idea. Plus the idea wasn't on the table until it was not likely to be necessary. I can't help but feel that the whole thing is a joke to avoid responsibility or perhaps corrupt to line some pockets.
A national quarantine approach seems like a perfectly reasonable idea to me.

Feds have not been in charge of borders. States, including Victoria have insisted on being in charge of their own borders, including who could arrive from overseas. You haven't been able to enter Queensland and WA unless you are a resident of those states, regardless of whether you were coming from interstate or overseas.
Feds are responsible for international boarders. This is a fact.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I am actually surprised that you of all people would be lauding the introduction of off shore detention! I took you for a much purer left of centre voter than you are revealing yourself to be now.

We treat refugees in much the same way we do the aged. Pack them off to distant centres where they are guarded around the clock and locked inside.

Last edited:
I am actually surprised that you of all people would be lauding the introduction of off shore detention! I took you for a much purer left of centre voter than you are revealing yourself to be now.
I didn’t laud it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back