Create the BEST commentary team possible

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish we had that option.

If not, I'd just like someone that adds something to the coverage and doesn't want to be bigger than the game itself. Eg. Richie Benaud, Martin Tyler. Just insightful commentary to ACCOMPANY the vision, not stating what everyone can see or any other nonsense.

That said, from an AFL perspective, wish every game was commentated by Sandy Roberts. Still the best, adds his own gusto to the game without being overwhelming or detracting from the coverage. Brian Taylor 2012 onwards and Dwayne Russell should really look at how Sandy commentates, as it is possible to be invigorating and vibrant to the coverage without being a flog.

Host: Gerard Whateley

Play by Play: Anthony Hudson & Drew Morphett
Special Comments: David Parkin , Mark Maclure & David 'Swan' McKay
Boundary Rider: Adam White

Slightly different spin on it.

If i was Fox Footy, i'd have one special comments man dedicated to each team. For example, Gerard Healey would do all Bulldogs games and someone like Jason Dunstall could do all Hawks games (these are just examples). So when the Hawks play the Dogs, your special comments team would be Dunstall and Healey.

I'd then have a single commentator that wouldn't need to describe every single possession but rather commentate on the game like the NFL and soccer callers. Fox would only need a pool of 5-6 commentator and these should be assigned to timeslots and not teams or states. Also, i wouldn't have any former players or those with official ties to clubs (Eddie, JB etc.).

Hopefully this would give you a special comments team that knew the players from each team, knew the game plans and could actually add some insight and one unbiased, professional caller.

Host: Sandy Roberts.
Calling: Anthony Huddson, Clinton Grybas.
Special Comments: Leigh Matthews, Malcolm Blight.
Boundary: Tiffany Cherry, Cameron Ling, Peter Larkins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Host: Sandy Roberts.
Calling: Anthony Huddson, Clinton Grybas.
Special Comments: Leigh Matthews, Malcolm Blight.
Boundary: Tiffany Cherry, Cameron Ling, Peter Larkins.
The recent FIFA World Cup has shown us why Clinton Grybas is much missed these days, because I reckon his AFL commentary was the equal of English soccer commentator, Martin Tyler.

Host: Gerard Whateley
Play by play: Anthony Hudson & Clinton Grybas (r.i.p)
Expert Commentators: Garry Lyon & Nathan Brown
Boundary Rider: Cameron Ling

If it was for radio then Rex Hunt would be in a league of his own. Was so good in the 90's

Gerard Whateley is the best caller going around these days, pity there is no love for him in this thread.
No.

He is an eloquent intelligent guy with no obvious annoying traits or catchphrases. But don't let that fool you into thinking he has anything worthwhile to say. He is just another herd animal who spouts bullshit. He is full of shitty, questionable opinions. He lets himself down with his Geelong bias. It's a bit like giving the microphone to one of those nuffies from the Geelong board: Bobby, Winty, Partridge or Gavin Exell.

I drove home last Friday and listened to him talking up the Adelaide Crows chances and talking down the Hawks. On and on and on… He almost had me believing the Hawks had no chance. I had to remind myself we were the 2nd-placed favourites and the Crows were the 9th-placed underdogs. Then I remembered it was just the peanut opinions of that nerd Whateley. I just listened with a smirk, rolling my eyes and thinking how he has never rated Hawthorn, despite us finishing on top of the ladder for the past 2 years and starting favourites in the past two Grand Finals. He is a bit like Mike Sheahan. If there's an opportunity to talk Hawthorn down, or raise question marks against them, he will take it every time. Then he is conspicuously silent when things go well for the Hawks.

I got home, switched on the TV and watched the game unfold pretty much as I expected. A great game with an in-form Adelaide giving it their best shot, but not quite polished enough against the better-organised, more skilful Hawks.

Part of being a really good commentator is to be unbiased, but Whateley is totally biased and not half as informed as he think he is.
He could be good….. if he knew anything about football and wasn't such a wa nker…. Pity.

Last edited:
I reckon the best commentator would be that Martin Tyler - the British guy who called some of the soccer World Cup games for SBS.

He's a a good commentator of the round ball game - he knows how to the let the game breathe and let the action speak for itself. He has a good economy of words, often just saying the players' surnames as they take possession. Sometimes when something really good happens, he goes quiet and lets the viewers appreciate the moment without any noise pollution.

I would love to get him over to call AFL footy - he might take 12 months or so to become accustomed to our game and learn the players's names, but he would be 1000 times better than any of the dildos from Channel 7 or Foxtel.

BEST

Host: Whateley
Play by Play: Anthony Hudson, Lou Richards
Special comments: Leigh Matthews, Ted Whitten
Boundary Rider: Dipper

WORST

Host: Gerard Healy
Play by Play: Bruce Macavaney, Dwayne Russell
Special comments: Paul Roos, Matthew Richardson
Boundary Riders: Brett Kirk, Rick Olarenshaw

I reckon the best commentator would be that Martin Tyler - the British guy who called some of the soccer World Cup games for SBS.

He's a a good commentator of the round ball game - he knows how to the let the game breathe and let the action speak for itself. He has a good economy of words, often just saying the players' surnames as they take possession. Sometimes when something really good happens, he goes quiet and lets the viewers appreciate the moment without any noise pollution.

I would love to get him over to call AFL footy - he might take 12 months or so to become accustomed to our game and learn the players's names, but he would be 1000 times better than any of the dildos from Channel 7 or Foxtel.
Martin Tyler's call of Germany's 7-1 demolition job of Brazil underlines why he is the no.1 caller in football, and possibly the premier sports commentator as well.

Drew Morphett, Ian Robertson, Tim Lane and Sandy Roberts.

Walls on special comments.

Tony Leonard is criminally underrated for mine. Not sure how he'd go with the TV call, but on radio there are none better IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back