Creating a Website

Remove this Banner Ad

Using a site like this you can create a pretty nice looking site without having a lot of knowledge with their templates.

http://www.wix.com/

It's all about playing around with it until you get the look you're after.

Last edited:
I used to spend a fair bit of time learning HTML, CSS and some PHP, mind you I wasn't good at it. But I got some free hosting and messed around with CMS (Content Management System) and edited a lot of the code to try make it my own. By make it my own, learn how it all works and see if I could enhance it.

That's totally off topic. I've never used wix.com as posted above but have heard nothing but good things about it. I always use WordPress now though. If you get the right theme (may have to pay, but are some good free themes about) it'll come with widgets enabled. It's pretty much just installing WP, installing the theme and browsing for plugins that may suit you - say you want an audio player to appear by using a shortcode when posting something on a page or as a post, you just [ad_player]linkxx[/ad_player] a lot of the plugins work by short codes.

If your theme has sidebars you'll be able to edit them just like any other html page. I really do enjoy WP and would recommend it for anyone who is starting out.

[SIDE BAR ] [CONTENT VVVV]

[SIDE BAR ]

[SIDE BAR ]

Use a content management system such as Drupal, Joomla or Wordpress. It'll make your website look professional without you needing to learn any code, although some can help. As for hosting, you'll have to pay for a '.com' domain. If you want to get free hosting, you'll be limited in storage and you'll usually be hosted on something like "yoursite.hostname.com" or "hostname.com/yoursite".

It depends on what you want your website to do.

+1 for WordPress the front end of my website is using a WordPress theme that I've tweaked. WordPress is very flexible and can be very simple or can be used to run very complex sites and its not hard to customise if you are tech savvy.

You will need a domain (I use www.godaddy.com as my domain registrar) and hosting (l've used www.hostgator.com for years).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

For ultimate professionalism hire a professional. Some of them may just install Wordpress with a theme but there probably less likely to make mistakes setting it up and can help you manage and run it.

Looks great but do yourself a favour and get yourself Adobe Creative Cloud suite. It's awesome. It has all the things you need on it. The thing is with sites like wix and wordpress they are expensive and can be easily hacked into.
Expensive? What drugs are you on?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks great but do yourself a favour and get yourself Adobe Creative Cloud suite. It's awesome. It has all the things you need on it. The thing is with sites like wix and wordpress they are expensive and can be easily hacked into.
Well why do you use wordpress? It's in your sig.

thethinkingcat

xcuse me mate but i do an IT course. We have been talking about the costs of programs that you can use. Wix is dodgey as is wordpress. Wordpress you need to pay $$$$ first before you use.
Adobe Creative Cloud Suite is just right. You can design it without having the stupid emails telling you that you do are running out of time to pay for something. Also don't be so rude. I don't do drugs.

You could have just replied in here. Not sure what you're on about having to pay for WordPress? I have it on multiple sites, and don't pay a cent. Feel free to explain though?

Listen Hate i'm not here to argue with you. Go and enrol in an information technology course and listen to what your teachers tell you.
Get something done with your life that doesn't involve trolling those that use other programs.
You've literally lost it or something. I am in no way trolling, I am genuinely curious as to what you are paying for with WordPress?

WordPress is completely free. Let's just clarify that.
And yes, there are vulnerabilities that come with WordPress but most vulnerabilities occur when the creator buggers something up on their end.

Listen Hate i'm not here to argue with you. Go and enrol in an information technology course and listen to what your teachers tell you.
Get something done with your life that doesn't involve trolling those that use other programs.

Can you brag about being in an IT course if your failing it?

The guy is telling you he uses wordpress and does not pay a cent for it,

Just because you are enrolled in a 2 bit part time TAFE course in Information Technology, doesn't qualify you to tell people how to run their lives.

You don't have to pay for WordPress.

Possibly, where the thethinkingcat is confused is that if you're using a WordPress installation, you will need to pay for hosting (though there are free, albeit limited, options out there). WP itself, though, is completely free and open source. You can go ahead and download it right here.

An IT student should know the difference between costs associated with a CMS and costs associated with things like hosting and domain registration.

What kind of IT course are you enrolled in?

You don't have to pay for WordPress.

Possibly, where the thethinkingcat is confused is that if you're using a WordPress installation, you will need to pay for hosting (though there are free, albeit limited, options out there). WP itself, though, is completely free and open source. You can go ahead and download it right here.

An IT student should know the difference between costs associated with a CMS and costs associated with things like hosting and domain registration.

What kind of IT course are you enrolled in?

This is sort of the point

I create websites for a living and I see you've already used Wix (I haven't used it personally) but I must say when having a website created it comes down to your needs. I will use Wordpress for "brochure websites" (websites that are created just to provide information), anything else I'll use other frameworks for (and they'll be quite a bit more expensive). If I'm using Wordpress to build a client's site though, I will more often than not create a custom theme for them based on their needs.

For what they are, domains and hosting are generally quite cheap IMO. $9/month for hosting and $10/year for a domain is great value.

Adobe Creative Cloud Suite sounds like something they would teach you in an IT course. It definitely has some great programs in it like Photoshop and Illustrator, but I don't know many professional website developers that would be using Dreamweaver.

If the OP or anyone has any other questions about website, feel free to PM me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back