Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit worried about our preparation to this years away Ashes series, the Poms getting a good warm up playing a quality side in the Kiwis whereas we probably could've got a better test playing the Vics or NSW instead of this pretty subpar Windies line up.

Main positives have been Hazlewood, Starc & Smith continuing on his stellar form from the World Cup.

A bit worried about our preparation to this years away Ashes series, the Poms getting a good warm up playing a quality side in the Kiwis whereas we probably could've got a better test playing the Vics or NSW instead of this pretty subpar Windies line up.

Main positives have been Hazlewood, Starc & Smith continuing on his stellar form from the World Cup.
They have a couple of FC warm ups against Sussex and Kent...not sure what personnel those teams have but 2 matches before the first Test should be enough to get used the conditions.

They have a couple of FC warm ups against Sussex and Kent...not sure what personnel those teams have but 2 matches before the first Test should be enough to get used the conditions.
And both are 4 day games: the game against Kent starts on Thursday week. Even games against English counties should provide stiffer opposition than the woeful Windies!!!

Taylor, Holder and maaaaybe Bravo and Ramdin are the only international standard players in their Test team. Poor old Windies.
Except I find it difficult to feel sorry for them - I'm old enough to remember what they did to us in the 80's and early 90's.

Well done Smithy!!!!!

Australian number three Steve Smith reaches number one in ICC Test cricket batting rankings
Updated yesterday at 3:32pmMon 15 Jun 2015, 3:32pm
If Steve Smith's sublime year at the crease was not already enough to confirm his status as the world's best Test batsman, the International Cricket Council's latest player rankings certainly is.
Smith has jumped to number one in the ICC's rankings, after his brilliant first-innings 199 earned him man-of-the-match honours in Australia's second-Test drubbing of West Indies in Jamaica overnight.
ICC Test batting rankings
  1. Steve Smith (AUS) - 913 points
  2. Kumar Sangakkara (SRI) - 909 points
  3. AB de Villiers (RSA) - 908 points
  4. Hashim Amla (RSA) - 891 points
  5. Angelo Mathews (SRI) - 841
  6. Younus Khan (PAK) - 836 points
  7. Joe Root (ENG) - 815 points
  8. Kane Williamson (NZL) - 813 points
  9. Misbah-ul-Haq (PAK) - 770 points
  10. David Warner (AUS) - 757 points

Other Australians
  • Michael Clarke, 14th
  • Chris Rogers, 23rd
  • Shane Watson, 42nd
The captain-in-waiting, who also made 54 not out in just his second match batting at number three, leapfrogged Sri Lankan star Kumar Sangakkara and South Africans AB de Villiers and Hashim Amla to become the first Australian to top the Test rankings since captain Michael Clarke did so in 2012.
Smith's 199 was the latest in a tremendous and rarely-seen run in which he has averaged 131.5 over his last 12 Test innings.
The right-hander has also logged five centuries in his last six Tests and nine from his past 17 following his incredible dominance over India in Australia's home summer.
The extraordinary streak has brought Smith's overall Test average up to 56.23 - just two weeks after he turned 26.
David Warner has retained 10th place in the rankings, while Clarke is in 14th spot after he missed three Tests over summer due to injuries.
ICC Test bowling rankings
  1. Dale Steyn (RSA) - 905 points
  2. Jimmy Anderson (ENG) - 824 points
  3. Trent Boult (NZL) - 814 points
  4. Ryan Harris (AUS) - 810 points
  5. Rangana Herath (SRI) - 807 points
  6. Mitchell Johnson (AUS) - 803 points
  7. Stuart Broad (ENG) - 782 points
  8. Vernon Philander (RSA) - 780 points
  9. Morne Morkel (RSA) - 727 points
  10. Tim Southee (NZL) - 713 points
In the Test bowling stakes, Australia boasts three quicks in the top 14 but interestingly only one of that contingent played in the tour of the West Indies.
Mitchell Johnson slipped to sixth after the rampant left-armer's comparatively quiet two Tests in the Caribbean.
Fellow fast bowler Ryan Harris dropped from third to fourth place in his absence from the West Indies tour, while Peter Siddle is still ranked 14th despite having not played a Test since December.
Both face an uphill battle to unseat in-form pacemen Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Starc from the team facing England in the Ashes next month.
Hazlewood, who was named player of the series thanks to his 12 wickets at an amazing 8.83 per scalp, was rewarded with a rankings boost to 27th.
Starc's position lifted to number 21 following his impressive 10 wickets at an average of 16.
South African paceman Dale Steyn remains number one, with England's James Anderson second and New Zealand quick Trent Boult third.

Pakistan ended their poor run of form in Tests played in & against Sri Lanka with a 10 wicket win, Sri Lanka are going to be lost without Sanga for a while.
Mohammad Hafeez has since been reported for a suspect bowling action. Unfortunately for him, he's not a Sri Lankan - pardon my cynicism!!!

Who's this Mark Wood lad? Lol at him targetting the out of form 34 year old facing retirement & more than likely won't even be playing ahead of Mitch Marsh.

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/shan...09-bouncer-barrage-imaginary-horse/2015-06-29
Had a bit of a look at him in the recent England v New Zealand series - he looks a pretty reasonable bowler, so I hope our blokes don't underestimate him.

Read an article this morning, which included quotes from Stuart Broad, where he's trying to put pre Ashes doubts in Steve Smith's mind about batting at 3 against the Duke ball. I wouldn't think it'd faze Smithy too much: the guy is in the form of his life, and is seeing them like a football. Hopefully we'll see a similar English newspaper headline to the Bradman one in 1930, "SMITH V ENGLAND." :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a bit worried about the strength of the opposition being put up by the Pommie County sides. The Aussies look to be pounding these attacks and I wonder if they are anywhere near full strength. I would not put it past the Poms to pull a swifty and put up C grade opposition.

Just seen that Ryan Harris has retired. Disappointing. Really wanted to see him go head to head in an Ashes Series in England
Damn. Rhino was a sensational bowler: I'll always remember him for that first ball in the second innings in Perth, in the last Ashes series. It was as good as Warne's ball of the century in 1993 - like Gatting, Cook had no idea what had just happened to him.

Well played Ryan Harris: champion bowler, and a champion bloke.

Saw some of his wickets on the local news. He had that vicious yorker humming.
Yep: for their sakes, I hope the Pommy batsmen are wearing steel capped boots while batting, or there could be a broken toe or two :)

Massively disappointed over hearing about Rhino's retirement as he would've been a certainty to spearhead our attack as he's probably the best bowler we've got for English conditions, I just hope Josh Hazlewood can stay fit now because he'd be a pretty good like for like replacement in the form he's in.

One of my favourite moments during the last Ashes series.

1525146_10151818832856922_824869956_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back