Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how they're all using the term "in the spirit of the game"

If that is the case, then Stuart Broad should walked when he smashed it to 1st slip.

They have pretty short memories don't they!.

I love how they're all using the term "in the spirit of the game"

If that is the case, then Stuart Broad should walked when he smashed it to 1st slip.

They have pretty short memories don't they!.
Bingo!!! We lost that Test by 14 runs, and Broad made a lot more than 14 after that incident, so it conceivably decided the Ashes. Now they're suddenly high and mighty about playing within the spirit of the game - gimme a break!!!

The plot thickens. Blackcaps skipper Brendon McCullum has bought into the Stokes dismissal. According to McCullum Steve Smith, 'might live to regret not withdrawing the appeal'.

I still do not see what the fuss is about. Stokes was out and the Aussies were entitled to appeal. Steve Smith did not give the batsman out the Umpires did and they could only do that if in their opinion Stokes' actions were contravened the laws of the game.

The Blackcaps appear to have an inferiority complex when it comes to England and they believe that if the English say something is so that is the way it should be. Maybe there is still some carry over from the Chappells' underarm incident?

The pommie publicity machine is in full swing. Stokes stuck a hand out and nearly caught the ball. He's probably convinced himself that it wasn't wilful but it was clear as day what he did. Smith was right to appeal and the 3rd umpire had no doubt. Smith was right to call him out and the ump was right to give it.

What has been most diappointing is the turbine whine of Morgan and Stokes about spirit of the game blah blah. They've created an incendiary situation then walk away saying they hope people will be forgiving. Pathetic. Take some responsibility you tossers. And where was spirit of the game when Stokes stuck a hand out to stop the ball hitting the stumps? Something I've never seen happen accidentally from that position.

As for Brendon 'I failed again on the biggest stage' McCullum, he should worry about New Zealand not Australia. None of his business. His opinion isn't worth a stale chup.

The plot thickens. Blackcaps skipper Brendon McCullum has bought into the Stokes dismissal. According to McCullum Steve Smith, 'might live to regret not withdrawing the appeal'.

I still do not see what the fuss is about. Stokes was out and the Aussies were entitled to appeal. Steve Smith did not give the batsman out the Umpires did and they could only do that if in their opinion Stokes' actions were contravened the laws of the game.

The Blackcaps appear to have an inferiority complex when it comes to England and they believe that if the English say something is so that is the way it should be. Maybe there is still some carry over from the Chappells' underarm incident?
Why the * is McCullum always getting involved? I think I've seen him pop up at least 4 times in the last month or so, criticising the Australians. Talk about sour grapes.

Why the **** is McCullum always getting involved? I think I've seen him pop up at least 4 times in the last month or so, criticising the Australians. Talk about sour grapes.

I suspect there is a tour of Australia coming up and McCullum wants to be on the front foot in the sledging competition.

I suspect there is a tour of Australia coming up and McCullum wants to be on the front foot in the sledging competition.
I don't think continually slamming players, in a series your country is not even involved in, is the right way to go about it.

I don't think continually slamming players, in a series your country is not even involved in, is the right way to go about it.
When McCullum comes to the crease in Australia, I daresay our boys will remind him of how he fared in the World Cup Final.....

From ABC Grandstand:

Unapologetic paceman Jimmy Anderson has admitted England doctored pitches during their Ashes upset - and called for more of it in the future. The Ashes pitches became a talking point as the series wore on and all five Tests were wrapped up inside four days - with fixtures at Edgbaston and Trent Bridge threatening to be two-day affairs.

Michael Clarke used his final press conference as an Australian captain to detail his problems with the wickets which had been prepared. Throughout the 3-2 series victory, England captain Alastair Cook and coach Trevor Bayliss steadfastly denied any involvement in the preparation of wickets this series.

However, Anderson not only admitted England were in the ear of groundsmen, which implies that Cook and Bayliss lied to the public, but said it is something they had not done enough of in the past. "I think there's certainly an element where we should've done it more in the past (and) we should it do it more in the future," Anderson said in a live panel discussion streamed on the Breathe Sport website.

Anderson also accused Australia and India of leading the way in that regard. "When we go to Australia, they prepare the pitches to suit their team, although you don't get too many surprises there. When we go to India, the same thing happens, pitches that were green are suddenly dusty," he said. "Even if we did (doctor pitches), everyone else in the whole world prepares pitches to give them home advantage and I don't see why it should be any different here.We should prepare pitches that suit us. We are trying to win games at any cost, and this is a legal way to do it. The ethics of it aren't something we worry about."
Anderson said that while the pitches were produced to assist the England bowlers, there was still something in it for batsmen. "All the games, at some stage, guys got runs - even the game where (Stuart Broad) bowled them out for 60 (at Trent Bridge), we then batted on it and got a decent total," he said. "It wasn't as if it was unplayable."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fascinating one dayer. Australia 3/30 early then Maxwell and Bailey steadied the ship to 167 before Maxwell was out. Bailey and Marsh were settling in then Australia lost another 3 quick wickets to be 7/215 off 41.4. Wade (50 off 26) and Hastings (34 off 26) came home with a rush to post 299.

Poms got up with a couple of overs to spare, 7 wickets down.

It's been a good series with both countries playing a few fringe/young players.

Losing those 3 wickets to go 7/215 probably cost Australia 20-30 runs which we needed.

The lack of a quality spinner ( Agar ) probably cost the Aussies that game, Hastings batted well but his straight up and down military mediums aren't much chop, and Stoinis was in my opinion a bit of a what the f*** selection. :rolleyes:

The lack of a quality spinner ( Agar ) probably cost the Aussies that game, Hastings batted well but his straight up and down military mediums aren't much chop, and Stoinis was in my opinion a bit of a what the f*** selection. :rolleyes:

Was surprised Agar wasn't picked. He's steadily improving and his bowling was ok in the previous game. He's not a big hitter but can bat and would have given Wade plenty of strike in the last overs. We definitely lacked variation.

This will only be a consolation prize in an otherwise dismal tour.

If you are in it you still have to win it. The Test series was a failure for sure but we should still be happy to win the ODI series.

Imagine if the Poms had won the series after the Stokes incident. The Pommie press and their players would have been giving Steve Smith and the 'unsporting' Aussies heaps. As it is, we won are still the world no1 ODI side and they can all get stuffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back