Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly (although I said this last year), our sporting teams need a Royal Comission, this is just not good enough. To lose a Shield game by an innings & over 300 runs to a side that had nothing to play for, plus what was at stake for SA, is beyond an utter disgrace.

Because of the weak mentality of most of our teams, SA will NEVER win the Sheffield Shield, AUFC & the 36ers will NEVER win a Grand Final.

End rant. :mad::mad:

Last 4 Tasmanian wickets defeated us by an innings and 78 runs. The Tasmanian number 8 scored a record(for a no 8) 229. The SA 2nd innings was 64 all out after an opening partnership of 59. After Tasmania were 6/238 the final 4 partnerships were 190, 79, 84 and 60. One of their bowlers took 4/7 off 8.1 overs in the SA 2nd innings..........do I need to go on? And we could have actually been set to play in the shield final if we had held our catches in some earlier games.

Last edited:
Redbacks are back to true form. SA has a history of falling in a big hole in the second half of the season.

I take the point about Cricket Australia's poor treatment of the Redbacks. First Ferguson goes to India and does not play a game then Hughes goes to South Africa and doesn't play. That is pretty shabby treatment and there is no reason that Hughes could not have returned home to play the Tassie game. That stupidity did not help the cause.

Redbacks are back to true form. SA has a history of falling in a big hole in the second half of the season.

I take the point about Cricket Australia's poor treatment of the Redbacks. First Ferguson goes to India and does not play a game then Hughes goes to South Africa and doesn't play. That is pretty shabby treatment and there is no reason that Hughes could not have returned home to play the Tassie game. That stupidity did not help the cause.

I think maybe you mean the NSW game. Hughes played in the Tassie game. The game against NSW started on 3 March and the 3rd test, without Hughes selected, started on the 1st March. So why did they keep him there? Hughes presence did not help us against Tassie but we were only 4 runs off a first innings win against NSW and we would still be in with a chance even now.

I promise myself I will NEVER attend a BBL game again, that definitely contributed to the Deadbacks demise. Why must the Shield season have a break halfway for that meaningless hit & giggle comp? What they should do is:

Have the Ryobi One Day Cup comp first (as it is now), then have the Shield, once that is over, THEN the BBL could start.

Get you act together CA! :mad::thumbsdown:

I think maybe you mean the NSW game. Hughes played in the Tassie game. The game against NSW started on 3 March and the 3rd test, without Hughes selected, started on the 1st March. So why did they keep him there? Hughes presence did not help us against Tassie but we were only 4 runs off a first innings win against NSW and we would still be in with a chance even now.

Yes, that is it NSW was the game he missed. Thanks for that. The principle is the same though, I agree Hughes was not needed in South Africa and I would like Boof to tell us why he was kept over there. Surely Hughes cannot be that good a fieldsman, drink waiter or net jockey.

cricket Australia kept cummins starc and henriques out of that shield match, so lets not go blaming them for our inept performances. really with all their outs compared to the one out we had, we were basically full strength v their second eleven, and still couldn't get the win.

cricket Australia kept cummins starc and henriques out of that shield match, so lets not go blaming them for our inept performances. really with all their outs compared to the one out we had, we were basically full strength v their second eleven, and still couldn't get the win.

Henriques and Starc are both in the T20 team so they possibly would have stayed on. Cummins is being rested as part of his injury management and is not playing against WA.

In any case this happened to SA not once but twice as Callum Ferguson went to India in a late call up at the start of the season, did not play a game and missed the opening round. You betcha we have reason to feel gipped at these selections.

Last 4 Tasmanian wickets defeated us by an innings and 78 runs. The Tasmanian number 8 scored a record(for a no 8) 229. The SA 2nd innings was 64 all out after an opening partnership of 59. After Tasmania were 6/238 the final 4 partnerships were 190, 79, 84 and 60. One of their bowlers took 4/7 off 8.1 overs in the SA 2nd innings..........do I need to go on? And we could have actually been set to play in the shield final if we had held our catches in some earlier games.

That bowler was Evan Gulbis, the guy who made 229 at no.8. *sigh*

The Redbacks are like a Venus Fly Trap for SA cricket followers hopes. A whole new generation of cricket followers have been lured into their inviting maw and dissolved like so many dead flies.

One of the big differences between SA and other teams is their ability to fight back from adversity. WA and Victoria have been in huge trouble in their games against NSW and Qld respectively, and they may still go down, but at least they've both managed to take their games into a 4th day. The Deadbacks didn't even come close to achieving that, losing their last 6 wickets for 8 runs faster than you can say, "Crows for the spoon." Until this team grows a spine, these horrendous results will keep happening.

Chuck Berry is as hard to listen to as Primus/Choco when trying to explain what went wrong.

'No point in making too many changes, we're on the right track, extremely disappointed to choke being in a near certain position to make the final just like last year' blah blah sick of hearing the same rubbish from this guy who's far too willing to accept mediocrity.

FFS I still can't believe we choked that hard in 3 matches after being 10 points up on the table prior to the BBL.

Chuck Berry is as hard to listen to as Primus/Choco when trying to explain what went wrong.

'No point in making too many changes, we're on the right track, extremely disappointed to choke being in a near certain position to make the final just like last year' blah blah sick of hearing the same rubbish from this guy who's far too willing to accept mediocrity.

FFS I still can't believe we choked that hard in 3 matches after being 10 points up on the table prior to the BBL.
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Right now I'm thinking that maybe Darren Berry himself is that weak link, and should be removed from the chain!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst interest in cricket is dropping off with footy season upon us it's good to see the Aussies in good form with limited preparation ahead of the T20 World Cup, another easy win against the Saffers our T20 side looks much better than the one under the previous coaching regime in particular the batting order.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Right now I'm thinking that maybe Darren Berry himself is that weak link, and should be removed from the chain!!!

Sooner or later the blame has to rest with the players. The Tassie game was an abysmal effort and we cannot blame the off field Coach for it. We had Hughes, Cooper, Klinger and Ferguson in that game and could not make enough runs. I also think the SA attack has tapered off a little. Last year Sayers was knocking on the door of Australian selection but this year he has not been anywhere near as effective, maybe it is just me but I think SA now lacks a genuine strike bowler who can put the wind up the opposition.

It was the players on the field who failed to knock Tassie over and failed to make enough runs, simple as that.

What the Advertiser wrote today does really ring true. We just simply are a rudderless ship without Botha. The stats speak for themselves, we were challenging strongly in T20 and then we lost him for a couple of matches and we slid into an abyss we could not get out of. And his accurate bowling was sorely missed against Tassie, slowing up the scoring would have been just the thing to get the batsmen to second-guess their shots.

What the Advertiser wrote today does really ring true. We just simply are a rudderless ship without Botha. The stats speak for themselves, we were challenging strongly in T20 and then we lost him for a couple of matches and we slid into an abyss we could not get out of. And his accurate bowling was sorely missed against Tassie, slowing up the scoring would have been just the thing to get the batsmen to second-guess their shots.

yeah right.... we couldnt bowl out qld for less than 470 odd with botha. we had about 160 overs to bowl out victoria and couldnt do it, with botha. we were in a match winning position against nsw yet couldnt bowl them out on the final day with botha. we couldnt bowl out wa last game last year and they had a 60 odd run 10th wicket partnership to not only deny us a final, but also hand botha the wooden spoon. he has led the one day side from champions under klinger to wooden spooners this year under botha. he cheated by using his spikes to rough up one side of the ball and got himself suspended from a crucial final match of the season, that is a disgrace for a state captain. lets not deny the truth of our results and believe some rubbish about fantasy improvement that really hasnt happened, botha must go.

as for berry he has coached sa to a one day and t20 championship, without botha. but he needs to stop talking crap in the media.

yeah right.... we couldnt bowl out qld for less than 470 odd with botha. we had about 160 overs to bowl out victoria and couldnt do it, with botha. we were in a match winning position against nsw yet couldnt bowl them out on the final day with botha. we couldnt bowl out wa last game last year and they had a 60 odd run 10th wicket partnership to not only deny us a final, but also hand botha the wooden spoon. he has led the one day side from champions under klinger to wooden spooners this year under botha. he cheated by using his spikes to rough up one side of the ball and got himself suspended from a crucial final match of the season, that is a disgrace for a state captain. lets not deny the truth of our results and believe some rubbish about fantasy improvement that really hasnt happened, botha must go.

as for berry he has coached sa to a one day and t20 championship, without botha. but he needs to stop talking crap in the media.

True to all the things you mentioned but dropped catches, often easy ones, cost us considerably in all of those matches. And with the T20 it was more of a momentum swing in the shortened form of the game. At one point we were doing well and then we lost our way when the captain went. And there were a good number of bad decisions in the NSW game that went against us, Mennie broke down after taking 3/18 off 9.4 overs in Victoria's 2nd innings. Teams will lose from what seem unlosable positions, it happens.
And we are nor wooden spooners this year, we are third.

True to all the things you mentioned but dropped catches, often easy ones, cost us considerably in all of those matches. And with the T20 it was more of a momentum swing in the shortened form of the game. At one point we were doing well and then we lost our way when the captain went. And there were a good number of bad decisions in the NSW game that went against us, Mennie broke down after taking 3/18 off 9.4 overs in Victoria's 2nd innings. Teams will lose from what seem unlosable positions, it happens.
And we are nor wooden spooners this year, we are third.

last year we were wooden spooners, this year we were wooden spooners in the one day comp.

Sooner or later the blame has to rest with the players. The Tassie game was an abysmal effort and we cannot blame the off field Coach for it. We had Hughes, Cooper, Klinger and Ferguson in that game and could not make enough runs. I also think the SA attack has tapered off a little. Last year Sayers was knocking on the door of Australian selection but this year he has not been anywhere near as effective, maybe it is just me but I think SA now lacks a genuine strike bowler who can put the wind up the opposition.

It was the players on the field who failed to knock Tassie over and failed to make enough runs, simple as that.
Mate: you make a fair point. The off field staff can't score the runs, take the wickets or do the fielding. But as with any sport, the coach normally cops it in the neck eventually if the results don't come. I don't know why the SACA ignored Darren Lehmann as coach: he was brilliant for Queensland, and our results since his elevation to national coach have been simply stunning.

As for the Deadbacks, where do they turn from here? Who knows - hopefully next year will see the end of the drought. Then again, Swans fans said the same thing for 72 years :)

Mate: you make a fair point. The off field staff can't score the runs, take the wickets or do the fielding. But as with any sport, the coach normally cops it in the neck eventually if the results don't come. I don't know why the SACA ignored Darren Lehmann as coach: he was brilliant for Queensland, and our results since his elevation to national coach have been simply stunning.

As for the Deadbacks, where do they turn from here? Who knows - hopefully next year will see the end of the drought. Then again, Swans fans said the same thing for 72 years :)

The sad fact is the Redbacks are fighting a culture and it is a losing one and has persisted since the mid 1990's. Such a losing culture is hard to overcome.

If he plays in the next Ashes series, do you reckon our boys will be ready with a few snide remarks? :)
Our players barked at Faf Du Plessis over a comment he made in the media, I think you can guarantee that Trott would cop it considering some of our players & staff felt sympathy & wished him the best in his recovery thinking he had a legitimate reason to walk out on his compatriots during the biggest Test series in world cricket.

If true I think it would be a pretty low act & if the ECB had any values whatsoever they wouldn't recall him after not only letting his teammates & country down but sports followers & people that suffer with that illness around the world.

Geez MJ not only causing people to retire but making them fake serious illness just because they're too soft to face him bowling at his best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back