Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sheesh, am i the only one having channel 9's coverage dropping in and out? Happening on both the old and new channel after retuning.
Mine is fine. Did you tune in the new channels or were they automatically updated? It could be your area.

REH ... Lyon walked after he saw the Hotspot on the screen not straight away ... the 3rd umpire wouldnt see that ... it was a bad look for the length of time it took to make no decision

Hazlewood bowling well but no pressure at the other end. Siddle bowling pies and Mitch Marsh nowhere near Test standard

Siddle is the new Watson of reviews. Luckily he doesn't have the final say like Watson does when batting. Two LBW shouts this Innings have been clearly missing the stumps by some way and Siddle was virtually begging for them to be reviewed

Those saying the 3rd umpire got the decision wrong... how can he overturn a decision made by the field umpire, when sure there was a hotspot on the bat, but the bat was out of frame when the spot occurred so can't conclusively say it was from the ball.
The 3rd umpire made the only decision he could, and that is not out due to inconclusive evidence.

Yes Slats spot on why is the bloody masseur fielding for the national team? Surely an A grade cricketer from district cricket or the state squad or one of the under 19's state team best fielder given the gig from start of play day 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the commentators on espncricnfo has said it before me but I definitely agree :

David: "I will go against the grain and say day/night tests will not work and this test is proving it. The reason being that matches are going to be decided on who gets stuck batting in the night session. There is clearly an unfair advantage. Even with our pop gun attack NZ is in all sorts of trouble facing the ball. Imagine what Starc would have done if bowling here."

And it doubles the effect of the bad DRS decision. The partnership was 73 more than it should have been. NZ could very well have been leading by 51 after the 1st innings and batting in the full light. They could quite possibly have had a lead of over 100 before the light set in and as we have seen earlier, batsmen who have got their eye in during the period of good light are not as likely to get out as batsmen who have started their innings in the artificial light against the pink ball. Of course sometimes the toss and unexpected weather changes does this, but that is one of those things and people don't have any control over whether that happens. Basically you are playing two games here. The movement of the pink ball late makes it nearly impossible to play a safe shot at night. The 4 byes given away by Peter Siddle where the ball beat the batsman but instead of being recovered by the wicketkeeper moved viciously from him showed that.

One of the commentators on espncricnfo has said it before me but I definitely agree :

David: "I will go against the grain and say day/night tests will not work and this test is proving it. The reason being that matches are going to be decided on who gets stuck batting in the night session. There is clearly an unfair advantage. Even with our pop gun attack NZ is in all sorts of trouble facing the ball. Imagine what Starc would have done if bowling here."

And it doubles the effect of the bad DRS decision. The partnership was 73 more than it should have been. NZ could very well have been leading by 51 after the 1st innings and batting in the full light. They could quite possibly have had a lead of over 100 before the light set in and as we have seen earlier, batsmen who have got their eye in during the period of good light are not as likely to get out as batsmen who have started their innings in the artificial light against the pink ball. Of course sometimes the toss and unexpected weather changes does this, but that is one of those things and people don't have any control over whether that happens. Basically you are playing two games here. The movement of the pink ball late makes it nearly impossible to play a safe shot at night. The 4 byes given away by Peter Siddle where the ball beat the batsman but instead of being recovered by the wicketkeeper moved viciously from him showed that.
Just supposing you're right, and day/night cricket turns out to be a fizzer, I'd say it's then up to the curators to prepare more sporting pitches. The bat-athons in Brisbane and Perth bored me to tears, and I'm sure I wasn't Robinson Crusoe :)

Well after years of changes benefitting the batsmen, ie less bouncers per over, DRS, Ive never seen the fielding side given the benefit of the doubt in a catch that really needs to be reviewed in 3D as to whether it bounced or not before the fielder caught it, bigger bats, ropes brought in turning 3's into 4's and 4's into 6's, maybe the bowler has finally got an advantage with the pink ball to bring back the balance into the game.

New Zealand lost 7 wickets on the first day by the dinner session on Day 1. Australia lost 6 wickets in the first session of the second day in bright sunshine against an attack that struggled to dismiss anyone in the first two Tests.

Seems to be more about the pitch than the moon to me.

At the end of the day/night paying spectators decide what is a success and around 90,000 of them over the first two days of a Test against NZ suggest this is not the only D/N Test we'll be seeing.

New Zealand lost 7 wickets on the first day by the dinner session on Day 1. Australia lost 6 wickets in the first session of the second day in bright sunshine against an attack that struggled to dismiss anyone in the first two Tests.

Seems to be more about the pitch than the moon to me.
Maybe they cant handle the 2pm starts. A few sherbets and too much time to kill from a 7am start to the day.

Maybe they cant handle the 2pm starts. A few sherbets and too much time to kill from a 7am start to the day.

They start ODI games around 2pm.

More likely a combination of pink ball and newish pitch making batting harder. Low scoring games are better cricket but cricket execs and television companies hate them as they only last three days.

Well after years of changes benefitting the batsmen, ie less bouncers per over, DRS, Ive never seen the fielding side given the benefit of the doubt in a catch that really needs to be reviewed in 3D as to whether it bounced or not before the fielder caught it, bigger bats, ropes brought in turning 3's into 4's and 4's into 6's, maybe the bowler has finally got an advantage with the pink ball to bring back the balance into the game.

Yeah the game has definitely been slanted too much in the batsmans's favour for at least a couple of decades now, although genuine all run 5's ( not from overthrows ) weren't uncommon from a straight, or on drive, to the north western corner of Adelaide oval.
There were even occasions where the fieldsman would let the ball roll into the pickets to keep the score to 4 runs.

they were asked to keep some extra grass on the pitch to help protect the ball, it was a mistake. to get a real feel for how the pink ball will go in test cricket you need a full summer of tests in all conditions not just the one match. if a pattern of wickets at night occurs in all matches then you can see it may be a problem, but if one match there is wickets, the next match the bat is on top etc then you can say its just part of test cricket. cant tell just from the one match.

Tasmania have collapsed after the score was 3/240, now they are 9/283 and a 300+ lead looms. Often the follow-on is not enforced even when one team has a large lead to protect against bowler fatigue, but we are only 21 overs into the third day so that problem shouldn't arise.

Tassie all out 284

Strange looking scoreboard, two centurions, two players in double figures, the rest single figures (extras 4th highest score)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back