Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tas all out 199

SA win by 302 runs!
Great effort. Question is can they back it up at the MCG next Sunday? The Victorian bowlers have been on fire this season - if our batsmen can do well, it'll be a good achievement.

Is it still convention to get the opposing captain's approval to use a sub fielder?
Wondering if NZ thought anything of Starc being "ok" to bat (twice), yet 10 minutes later unable to take the field?
Take his first innings out, and its a totally different result.

Had he bowled and batted but not fielded, then there would have been some questions but batting and not fielding has always been acceptable. What about Rick McCosker in the centenary test? Fielding was out for him after his first innings injury but he was able to come back done up like the elephant man and bat in the second innings as he could control his movement. It would have still hurt like hell but nothing like running around in the field would.

Have you any idea how old Max Klinger is ?
If the selectors do what you demand in two years time they will be looking for two new middle order batsmen instead of one. I heard Adam Gilchrist make this very point on the ABC on the weekend. Australia needs to find young talent and that is not Klinger.

Klinger is younger than Voges. Voges had to get in by weight of runs despite his age, surely the same courtesy can be afforded to Klinger?

At the end of this summer I'm giving up on Klinger. BUT if he carries his form into the BBL there is still a teeny tiny chance he could be picked for Australia in limited overs. I mean, they picked Brad Hogg and Brad Hodge for the last T20 world cup! After that, it's done, no chance.

WA's Coulter-Nile yet to play a shield game this year is called up to replace Starc!!! He played a 2nd XI match last month and incurred a suspension so missed the shield game. Pattinson still in squad so he'll likely play with NCN 12th man.

More local selections by Rod Marsh???

Vic paceman, Steve Boland on stand-by.

Last edited:
WA's Coulter-Nile yet to play a shield game this year is called up to replace Starc!!! He played a 2nd XI match last month and incurred a suspension so missed the shield game. Pattinson still in squad so he'll likely play with NCN 12th man.

NCN has a gold pass given the amount of development time (ODI, T29, Aus A games) CA have put into him, but I don't mind the Scott Boland selection - actually in form (9/72 in his last match) and not a whole lot of other quicks screaming to be picked. Maybe Bird, Fekete and Mennie. Noticed old James Hopes is still pushing out the numbers for the banana benders too but I can't see a spot opening up for a 37yo allrounder.

Not saying he's done enough to earn a call up, but I would have thought that Chadd Sayers deserves it more than Coulter-Nile: at least he's been on the park!!!

Not saying he's done enough to earn a call up, but I would have thought that Chadd Sayers deserves it more than Coulter-Nile: at least he's been on the park!!!
Sayers doesn't bowl quick enough for the selectors liking. He'd only ever be a chance in England or maybe NZ where the conditions would suit swing bowling. Form, wickets, economy and runs don't seem to matter anymore. If Glenn McGrath was coming through these days he wouldn't get a look in because the selectors have been spoiled by the likes of Lee, Johnson, Tait, Starc, Cummins, etc over the last 10 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sayers doesn't bowl quick enough for the selectors liking. He'd only ever be a chance in England or maybe NZ where the conditions would suit swing bowling. Form, wickets, economy and runs don't seem to matter anymore. If Glenn McGrath was coming through these days he wouldn't get a look in because the selectors have been spoiled by the likes of Lee, Johnson, Tait, Starc, Cummins, etc over the last 10 years.
Just as well Rod Marsh isn't on the Port selection committee: he'd probably pick Jake Neade to play as a ruckman LOL.

Just as well Rod Marsh isn't on the Port selection committee: he'd probably pick Jake Neade to play as a ruckman LOL.

There is merit in that suggestion though if we know we are gonna loose the ruck contests... extra midfielder around the drop of the ball to help win the contest...
But yes... Marsh needs to be removed from his position.

Hazlewood disproves this theory.

Ahh Cameron O'shea, living the life of Justin Hamilton. 'Hey guy sitting next to a famous person can you take this photo please?'
January 1980 a guy I was working with was in the lobby of the Travelodge on South Terrace and saw four guys sitting together three of which he recognised as Clive Lloyd, Viv Richards and Joel Garner. He went over and asked for their autographs and all four men obliged. Later he was very excitedly showing the piece of paper with the signatures of these three famous cricketers to an older workmate and commented that "there was this older guy with them and I let him sign it also as I didn't want to be rude". The other guy reading the four signatures asked, "Have you ever heard of Sir Garfield Sobers?"

Isn't he in a comic or something??
Garfield_Sobers_2539642k.jpg

U wot m8?

January 1980 a guy I was working with was in the lobby of the Travelodge on South Terrace and saw four guys sitting together three of which he recognised as Clive Lloyd, Viv Richards and Joel Garner. He went over and asked for their autographs and all four men obliged. Later he was very excitedly showing the piece of paper with the signatures of these three famous cricketers to an older workmate and commented that "there was this older guy with them and I let him sign it also as I didn't want to be rude". The other guy reading the four signatures asked, "Have you ever heard of Sir Garfield Sobers?"
one of the best cricketers ever. Didn't he have a finger or two missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back