Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
England would be hoping that Stokes will learn from his immaturity. There's going through rough patches of form and there's self inflicting a rough patch of form through petulance.

Where was Dave Warner this time last year though? Following the team around England in exile with his career in the balance. Mitch Johnson wasn't even on the Ashes tour! Form can change remarkably rapidly and players can emerge from nowhere (and fall away just as quickly).

I think Ballance is a very good talent that has justified the faith shown in him. You're correct that he's not the type of player who'll win them a match with a session of brilliance, neither is Robson or Ali, their other new batsmen who have both had some success, but I think all are capable of sustaining very solid careers. Jos Buttler has a bit of that aggression and flair about him and will come in for the next test on Sunday replacing Prior so I don't think their batting is in too bad a shape.

Where they do lack a bit is in the bowling. Anderson's coming towards the end of his career leaving a lot for Broad to do. Plunkett's done an adequate job in his return to the test side, but still needs a few more strings to his bow if he wants to be a consistent threat against the opposition's best batsmen.
They're missing Swann terribly. If opposition teams get through the new ball, the back up bowlers often struggle

They're missing Swann terribly. If opposition teams get through the new ball, the back up bowlers often struggle

Absolutely. They desperately need Kerrigan or Riley to come on and play well at international level. Both have had very good years in county cricket, but selectors haven't shown much faith at all in either of them yet. Moeen is fine as a back up option, but clearly isn't equipped to be the number one man.

freakish talent hughes, really hope he can translate that to the highest level
Agreed. I'd love nothing more than to see him play all 4 Tests against India this Australian summer, and then pulverise the Poms this time next year. Let's not forget that he's still only 25 (turns 26 on November 30), so I believe he still has a helluva lot to offer to Australian cricket.

Good to see that India's refusal to use DRS has backfired on them. Apparently Bell was palpably LBW near the end of day 1, but was given a reprieve. He was finally out for 167 :)

Poms in a good position to level the series. Chasing 569, the Indians are 8 for 323 with 2 days left.

Good to see that India's refusal to use DRS has backfired on them. Apparently Bell was palpably LBW near the end of day 1, but was given a reprieve. He was finally out for 167 :)

Poms in a good position to level the series. Chasing 569, the Indians are 8 for 323 with 2 days left.
Dhoni's still at the crease though & the Poms have struggled to dismiss most teams tailenders in recent times, India could survive 2 days on that pitch providing they don't lose the last 2 early tonight.

Dhoni's still at the crease though & the Poms have struggled to dismiss most teams tailenders in recent times, India could survive 2 days on that pitch providing they don't lose the last 2 early tonight.
Even if they knock over the last 2 quickly, I'm not sure the Poms would bowl again. They've already been in the field for 102 overs, so they'll probably give their bowlers a rest before the final assault.

Even if they knock over the last 2 quickly, I'm not sure the Poms would bowl again. They've already been in the field for 102 overs, so they'll probably give their bowlers a rest before the final assault.
A little classic English weather helping India wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Great to see Hughes in good form, that double ton in the Aus A ODI surely got the selectors attention.

Speaking of Hughes just remembered that old man Invarerity got the flick which means he might get a fair go now.

New selector Mark Waugh likes what he's seen from Phil & Richo.
Australian cricket needs John Inverarity about as much as Adelaide radio needs Stephen Rowe LOL. Hopefully Hughes gets an extended run in the Test team, and makes the most of his opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy crap turned over to the England/India Test to see the Poms have the Indians in big trouble early at 4/11, looks like a smart decision to bat first lol.
I am sure Cook is very grateful for losing the toss

India all out for 152, England 3/113 at stumps.
Cook another failure with the bat.

10497130_10152610633204313_5921284829982591147_o.jpg

How bad has India been in the last 2 Tests!!!! Even though a large portion of day 2 was lost to the weather, they've still been smashed by an innings inside 3 days.

Broad had to retire hurt during England's innings - reading the cricinfo commentary earlier, it was unclear if it was a broken nose or maybe a jaw injury. Regardless, he's in some doubt for the final Test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back