Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tasmania have managed to get past the lowest Australian domestic one-day score(51). No prizes for guessing who has that.
Wonder why captains don't change the bowling order when collapses like this happen. Usually the top 2 quicks bowl the first 5 each and then come back after 30 overs. But after Paris and Beehrendorff had finished Tassie were 7/20. Why not just keep them on?
Didn't matter too much in the end Mick: WA won by 7 wickets, with a ridiculous 209 balls to spare....
True, WA got the win. But why not give in-form bowlers the change at a five-for? It may have also meant SA wouldn't still have the lowest one-day score.

I have just heard Kevin Pietersen interviewed on the ABC about his new book. This guy has really dumped on his team mates and former coaches. Pietersen claims there was a real clique in the England rooms and the old boys stuck together and did not make new players feel welcome. Listening to KP you get the impression that he was a real loner. You cannot help but feel that KP saw some dollar signs and decided that the more controversy he could ramp up the more books he can sell.

If I had played Test Cricket with distinction I reckon I would want to go out knowing I had some respect from my former team mates and that I would feel welcome at reunions etc. Not KP though he does not seem care how many enemies he makes. He will not be on Andy Flower or Matt prior's Christmas Card list, that is for sure.

That game was over so quickly that GEM were able to fit in an episode of an English series on health inspectors as well as the whole of "Rio Bravo" before their next scheduled programme.
Reminds me of that ODI several years ago, when Sri Lanka dismissed Zimbabwe for 38 (Murali 8 for 19), and then knocked off the victory target in 4.2 overs. I think local authorities quickly scheduled a T20 game, to ensure the crowd got something close to value for money!!!!!

QLD 4/351 off 50 overs. Burns was out for 115 straight after philreich posted but then Nathan Reardon came in and pounded 75 off 35. Forrest was out for 98. Winter 0/71 off 9, Lawford 0/70 off 10, Tait 2/62 off 8(with 1 maiden), Cosgrove 1/58 off 8, Head 0/32 off 5. Only Zampa kept the runs down with 1/51 off 10.

QLD 4/351 off 50 overs. Burns was out for 115 straight after philreich posted but then Nathan Reardon came in and pounded 75 off 35. Forrest was out for 98. Winter 0/71 off 9, Lawford 0/70 off 10, Tait 2/62 off 8(with 1 maiden), Cosgrove 1/58 off 8, Head 0/32 off 5. Only Zampa kept the runs down with 1/51 off 10.
Just to prove how bad the Deadbacks were in the field, Cosgrove actually bowled the 50th over. Surely we could have had a better option than that!!!!!!

27 extras not all that great either. And some of those extras would have allowed QLD to have a free hit so we could easily be looking at SA having given away close to 50 runs without the chance of taking a wicket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SA were making a slightly better fist of things at 5/243 with 44 balls to go. Would still have lost but could have given 300 a shake. Then Callum Ferguson got out for 98. Also Davey for 33, Lawford for 0. In fact when I started writing this post SA were 6/243 and when I finished it they were 8/247.

didnt even realise george went to qld, tait was a great pick up, as was cosgrove, as expected going further backwards with absurd off season decisions.

Although the concept of an honourable loss is a bit of an empty one, it does at least give some kind of confidence for the future. But SA couldn't even do that, losing their last 5 for 14 to lose by just shy of 100 runs in a one-day match.

Only saw the highlights & will need to see the replay but that final ODI looked like it had a cracking finish, it came down to the last ball & Maxwell won the match with a double wicket maiden over in the last over.
I reckon Pakistan had money on Australia for the win :)

The umpire should have called "dead ball" on Steve Smith's catch. According to law 41 a player may not make any significant movement after the ball comes into play and before the ball reaches the striker. Smith started at slip and was nearly at leg slip when the ball reached the striker. This can be seen at 1.11 of the video.

http://www.sportsfan.com.au/amazing-odi-finish/tabid/947/contentid/696401/default.aspx

That is what I thought but I heard (Not sure whether on the radio or TV) that the law (or was it the interpretation) was changed this year so that as soon as the batsman has made a commitment to a shot, and the ball has left the bowlers hand, the fielders can move.

SA may not end up conceding the highest one-day score for this year. QLD had an opening partnership of 185 and are currently 1/191 off 30 overs against Victoria.
Doesn't fill me with confidence for the first Shield game at the end of the month. We play Queensland at Adelaide Oval: the way the Bulls are batting in the one dayers, they may rack up a very big score!!! Yeah I know - different format, but if I was a betting man I wouldn't be putting any of my hard earned on the Deadbacks!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back