Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
told you he was our bunny, only made 92 (where is that stir the pot emoticon)
Mind you, he did get run out :)

If you're having trouble sleeping lately, just watch a bit of the Test match. Pakistan is 2 for 91 in the 44th over!!!!

My thoughts so far....

Australia hasn't played for about 8 months. It is showing. I am not worried, this series is obligatory and all a pre-season Dubai workout.

Johnson is bowling well. I suspect he will damage India this summer and they will do their typical crying and bellyaching.

Younus Khan has batted very well and the Paki selectors ought to pay him more respect. They won't however.

This game is destined for either a draw or Australian win. For Pakistan to win they need 400 and they will need most of Day 2 to get it.

I doubt the Pakistanis can bowl Australia out twice. No wonder 2 debutants are playing. This series is a rehearsal for the Aussie summer.

I don't think Lyon has bowled crap, just average and certainly not world class.

Way too short on this pitch and too square to this team. Surely, the blokes up in the pavilion didn't tell him to bowl like that.

That signals to me that he just isn't grokking what it is to be a top-level spinner.

I watched his 22nd over and he finally began to pitch it up and the batsman was under pressure! Wow!

I know he has 100 wickets but if he doesn't bowl well against India, I don't see him seeing out the summer.

From cricinfo:

WICB in danger of being suspended from ICC
The ICC board will meet on November 10 with the implications of West Indies' abandonment of their tour of India certain to dominate discussions.
While the ICC has released a statement expressing a hope "the matter will be resolved amicably", it appears that the potential consequences for the WICB could be catastrophic if the ICC's rules are applied to the letter.
The worst case scenario is not only that WICB could see its participation fees for the 2015 World Cup reallocated to the BCCI whether West Indies are involved or not, but it could also face suspension from the ICC. However, since this series was based on a bilateral agreement, the ICC can only take action if the BCCI lodges a complaint with it.
"The International Cricket Council said on Wednesday it was concerned with the dispute between the Board of Control for Cricket in India and the West Indies Cricket Board, and was closely monitoring the developments arising from the recently cancelled tour of India," an ICC statement, issued on Wednesday, said. "The ICC hopes that the matter will be resolved amicably, but clarified that, unless the matter is otherwise referred to it, it does not have the power to intervene in disputes resulting from a bilateral FTP tour."
The BCCI, while it has made no specific mention of lodging any claim for damages, has already intimated it will take legal action against the WICB after West Indies abandoned their tour of India after the fourth ODI. They were due to have played five ODIs, one Twenty20 and three Tests as part of the tour. While Sri Lanka have stepped in to fill the void with a five-match ODI series (ESPNcricinfo understands the ECB were also approached with a view to replacing West Indies), the BCCI's claims for damages, if lodged, could be around $65 million.
The ICC Members' Agreement (clause 7.6 under sub-heading Non-Compliance) states that "where... an Offending Party notified of compensation payable by it fails to pay the same in full... then such payment may be made to the Compliant party concerned by ICC out of such monies as may otherwise become due to the Offending Party whether out of its share of revenues arising out of the ICC Cricket World Cup or other ICC events."
If the BCCI lodges a complaint with the ICC, it is likely to refer the matter to its Disputes Committee - as is outlined in clause 7.3 of the Members' Agreement - which has the power to define the figure owed by WICB to the BCCI.
Furthermore, under the ICC's Amended and Restated Memorandum and Articles of Association, unanimously approved by the full council in June 2014, the WICB could be facing suspension from the ICC. Clause 2.7 (sub-titled Suspension of Membership) suggests that should West Indies be deemed to have "fail[ed] to fulfil any of its financial obligations", "fail[ed] to comply with any of its membership obligations", or "act[ed] in such a way as shall be deemed by the Executive Board to bring the game of cricket into disrepute", then "the Executive Board shall be entitled to suspend that Member with immediate effect".
The ICC also has the authority (clause 2.7, section F of Suspension of Membership) to warn WICB of possible suspension if remedial steps are not taken within a "timeframe notified by, and to the satisfaction of, the Executive Board".
Were the WICB to be suspended, West Indies would not be able to play Test, ODI or T20I cricket and would have very little chance of paying the debt incurred to the BCCI.
While the prevailing mood towards the WICB does not appear punitive, there is a strong desire to ensure there is no repeat of this episode.
The situation has left other boards nervous of similar unreliability and discussing possible contingency plans for West Indies series'. West Indies are due to tour South Africa in December and January and host England in April and May.

Gotta say - Dave Warner is becoming one helluva batsman. He scored 543 runs in 3 Tests in South Africa (no mean feat!!!), and he's started this game in the same sort of form. He's now a smaller version of Matthew Hayden, but equally effective. Good luck to the bloke: he's had his critics (including me), but he's pulled his head in, and is now almost the most important member of the team.

Part of the commentary on espncricinfo from the Australia vs Pakistan test :

Anthony: "I think the Ashes of 2011-12 was a huge wake up call for the Aussies. No longer will you see them skittled for under 100. If the top order fails, the bottom order come to the party. True grit and the never-say-die attitude England would do well to copy"

Yes, I would agree. However, I think a more appropriate time to bring that up would be when they have NOT lost their last 5 wickets for 54.

Gotta say - Dave Warner is becoming one helluva batsman. He scored 543 runs in 3 Tests in South Africa (no mean feat!!!), and he's started this game in the same sort of form. He's now a smaller version of Matthew Hayden, but equally effective. Good luck to the bloke: he's had his critics (including me), but he's pulled his head in, and is now almost the most important member of the team.

Agreed Phil, Warner used to infuriate me but he's pulled his head in mostly and become a very good test cricketer.

This from the wwos.ninemsn site made me shake my head:

"When Warner was bowled by Yasir at 5-207, he'd scored more almost two-thirds of Australia's runs."

Was the arithmetic a little too complicated for Greg Buckle?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"When Warner was bowled by Yasir at 5-207, he'd scored more almost two-thirds of Australia's runs."

As it was, he scored almost half the runs for the completed innings. He's now reached 50 or more in his last 6 Test innings: if he does it again in the second innings, he'll equal the world record of 7. We're buggered if he fails!!!

As it was, he scored almost half the runs for the completed innings. He's now reached 50 or more in his last 6 Test innings: if he does it again in the second innings, he'll equal the world record of 7. We're buggered if he fails!!!
In some pretty illustrious company there, Everton Weekes, Andy Flower, Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Kumar Sangakkara. Weekes scored 5 hundreds, a ninety and a fifty-six.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283043.html

EDIT on 26/10 : Warner out for 29, won't make the world record now but he should have plenty more opportunities. Most of the players on the list achieved the feat in one calendar year.

Last edited:

I believe Greg's teacher told him he needed to buckle down and do his maths homework.:)

I was surprised at the article in this morning's Murdoch Monopoly Times. There was utter surprise that Steve Smith performed better than Lyon and O'Keefe. Smith came into first class cricket as a promising leg spinner who could bat a bit. Australia needs Smith's batting but we should not be surprised if he takes wickets when he has the chance. Hopefully Smith will not go the same way as Michael Clarke who was also handy with the ball but had to limit his bowling due to back problems.

I have no idea what the wicket in Abu Dhabi is like but if it is anything like this one we will need to win the toss.

Against India on Australian wickets and with Johnson, Harris, any of Starc, Cummins or Pattinson fit we will give the Indians plenty to think about. That will not help us in the Emirates though.

smith has fast become one of our best test players over the last 12 months. not sure how mitchell marsh was picked, not a test standard cricketer, joke of a selection, i thought those days were gone.

grr timed that well..smith now out......

oh...klinger just won a one day title, made 96 in the final and 274 runs for the series and named man of the match for the final. meanwhile botha captained back to back spoons, to go with his spoon in the shield cricket. meanwhile klingers replacement has made scores of 0 7 1 1 0 before getting the boot. what a bunch of morons run cricket in this state.

Well, well done to Pakistan.

I wrote them off after the first day, how wrong I was.

Not going to go jumping off the West Gate just yet. This is a pre-season training run.

Australia's lack off penetration can be worked on. Our spinners too didn't offer a lot.

The middle order needs to dig in a bit more. That doesn't need to be repeated.

Johnno looked good at times as did Mitchell Marsh.

Anything against Pakistan away from home needn't be taken too seriously but for the Pakis a much deserved win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back