Cricket Discussion - Part 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most teams would be happy to score 79 off the last 10 overs, India have scored it off 5. As often seems to happen when one team has been flaying the bowling, the last over is not as lucrative as the others. Still 8 runs but the previous 5 overs went for an average of 16.6.

I'll accept that you're right but I've only got access through the espncricinfo site, it didn't say anything about a no-ball.

107 partnership and Utthapa has scored 13.
it was a waist high full toss.

out for 264 off 172 balls, just short of the world record for most runs in a 'list a' (not sure if thats the right term) one day match which is a pom who scored 268 in a pommie one day game. smashed the record for most in a one day international which was 219.

he scored his first 50 off 72 balls, the next 200 off 94 balls.

That early dropped catch of George Bailey cost South Africa. But not as much as Sri Lanka dropping Rohit Sharma on 4.
That dropped catch last night was THE most expensive miss since Brian Lara was dropped on 3, when he was playing for Durham..... he finished 501 not out!!!

Billy Bowden can't even stop being an attention seeker as the 3rd umpire lol, why do we need to hear the review process? It's stupid in the AFL & just as pointless in the cricket.
The one they had at that non-runout of George Bailey was so obviously just done to show how they could do it. He was in by so far there was no need for a review at all. At least in the AFL they don't have reviews when the ball is six inches over the goal-line.

South Africa walking a tightrope here. If these two stay in till 45 overs they will win but once the partnership is broken McLaren(av 19.62, HS 71*) comes in and the last 4 average 15.00, 7.64, 7.69 and 10.00. Dropping George Bailey early in his innings is starting to look like a big turning point. Had that been held Australia ma not have got much past 250.

Another team done by the batting powerplay. Losing 4/17 including De Villiers and Miller broke the back of South Africa. Even though they had a terrible powerplay, had De Villiers not been dismissed they still would have a chance. They're 33 runs and 12 balls away from a win, the final difference may just be the difference in sundries(currently 18 in Australia's favour).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So who gets to captain Australia if Clarke and Haddin are out for the Test series or at least the first match?

So who gets to captain Australia if Clarke and Haddin are out for the Test series or at least the first match?
I'd be giving it to Steve Smith. He's got a mature head on very young shoulders, and I believe he's ready for the extra responsibility.

I'd be giving it to Steve Smith. He's got a mature head on very young shoulders, and I believe he's ready for the extra responsibility.

Maybe we could pick a non-playing captain like Mike Brearley. :p

I like Josh Hazlewood as a future prospect but is he a better fit for a potential World Cup spot than Kane Richardson who is a much better death bowler?

Would've thought given he went well in the international team this year he would've been picked first if a spot was up for grabs.

Last edited:
Coulter-Nile is a bigger unit now, he's been in the gym for a few months by the look of him.. bowls a heavy ball nice short balls last night.

Coulter-Nile is a bigger unit now, he's been in the gym for a few months by the look of him.. bowls a heavy ball nice short balls last night.
I'm making the call now: if Coulter-Nile stays fit, he's a monty to go to England next year. Very impressive young bowler!!!

Still can't understand reviews. First they looked at the no-ball. OK. Then they looked at the position of ball and glove. Clear deflection off the glove. So why waste their time with hotspot?

And it shows the objection with DRS. Even to the naked eye that was out. DRS is making umpires second guess themselves. What if South Africa had not asked for the review? The only way to make it work is to have all decisions looked at and properly reviewed if the third umpire deems a review necessary.

Last edited:
Read on espncricinfo feedback that Wade's dismissal did not seem correct. I have to agree in this case as all views of where the ball came off seemed to suggest the right glove, a glove that had come off the bat. Hotspot was also very inconclusive as was snicko, seeming only to activate when the ball had passed the body. Based on that there seemed no decision that could be made by the third umpire. I wouldn't like to say this, but I believe the third umpire may feel that some kind of definite decision will always be required, otherwise to back up the umpire or change the decision. We may be seeing the end of umpire's decisions once it is in review.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back