Cricket gives AFL greenlight for Easter blockbusters at the MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Cricket gives AFL greenlight for Easter blockbusters at the MCG

Cricket Australia on Thursday gave football the green light to fixture its now traditional MCG Easter blockbusters over the weekend of the Sheffield Shield final. CA chief James Sutherland returned to Melbourne following the Lord's Test and immediately delivered that message to AFL boss Gillon McLachlan.

The green light was given in the understanding of a pending long term agreement which would allow the AFL permanent access to the MCG each year for an extra weekend in March. The deal is yet to be reached but will involve a multimillion dollar financial settlement between the AFL and Cricket Australia.

Fairfax Media understands a tripartite agreement between the AFL, the MCC and Cricket Australia will ensure football wins long-term tenancy of the MCG for the last two weekends of March from 2016.

common sense prevails ca get financially compensated and the afl get the ground both win well done to both ceo's

Annoyed that if we win the rights to host the Shield final again it won't be at the 'G once again, but I guess it doesn't really matter as we would only need to get a draw to win the Shield.

Still would prefer it at the G so I can go!

Sorry cricket, I love you too but I love football more.

Personally, I'm only interested in Test matches, with a bit of ODI and Big Bash thrown in. Sheffield Shield has no meaning to me (though my side is the Redbacks :$). If it were a choice between seeing my footy team play at Adelaide Oval, or a Sheffield Shield final with 22 players but 12 spectators, I know which one I'd pick!

MCG is no longer a cricket ground

MAFLG
It's awesome going to those state cricket games at the MCG. You get to try out any seat you want, ready for afl season. You can hear the players encouraging each other. As well the echoing of the clapping and ball hitting the bat in the stands. You can get wasted & scream out your opinion to players & some times being lucky enough that player will let you know what he thinks of your opinion:D:drunk:

You can't do any of that at an afl game

Annoyed that if we win the rights to host the Shield final again it won't be at the 'G once again, but I guess it doesn't really matter as we would only need to get a draw to win the Shield.

Still would prefer it at the G so I can go!

I can tell you where.

There's a ground at the base of Albert Park, that will this coming Saturday, hosts it's last ever football match - the Junction Oval.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry cricket, I love you too but I love football more.

Personally, I'm only interested in Test matches, with a bit of ODI and Big Bash thrown in. Sheffield Shield has no meaning to me (though my side is the Redbacks :$). If it were a choice between seeing my footy team play at Adelaide Oval, or a Sheffield Shield final with 22 players but 12 spectators, I know which one I'd pick!

Agreed the only matches I go to now just the ODI's and 20/20. Sheffield Shield can be played at other venues and still only have handful of ppl go

The MCG actually owes it's greatness to the taxpayer. A great many of them follow Football, Cricket, a combination of both, other sports or no sports. It's not the domain of any one sport and no sport has the god given right to be there.

Anyway, this crowd issue is a strawman argument.

Nobody is seriously making the argument that the Bushrangers need the MCG for the crowd attendance. What they need the MCG for is for the facilities. The MCG is by a long way the best facility for Cricket in the state, probably one of the best in the country. Why shouldn't first class cricket be played there? Ultimately Cricket is well within it's rights to assert it's interests. Indeed, I think that more than anything else has brought about the development at Junction Oval.

And the development at the Junction Oval is great for all concerned. The AFL get it's Easter weekend and Cricket gets the type of facility it deserves, a first class facility with no compromises to any other sport & not having to share with the Saints.

The MCG actually owes it's greatness to the taxpayer. A great many of them follow Football, Cricket, a combination of both, other sports or no sports. It's not the domain of any one sport and no sport has the god given right to be there.

Anyway, this crowd issue is a strawman argument.

Nobody is seriously making the argument that the Bushrangers need the MCG for the crowd attendance. What they need the MCG for is for the facilities. The MCG is by a long way the best facility for Cricket in the state, probably one of the best in the country. Why shouldn't first class cricket be played there? Ultimately Cricket is well within it's rights to assert it's interests. Indeed, I think that more than anything else has brought about the development at Junction Oval.

And the development at the Junction Oval is great for all concerned. The AFL get it's Easter weekend and Cricket gets the type of facility it deserves, a first class facility with no compromises to any other sport & not having to share with the Saints.

It could have been so very different. The Olympics in 1956 came very close to being held at Princes Park when they were choosing venues (it was the committees preferred option, but not the Governments). Then again, the Government intervened in 1984 when the VFL threatened to move the Grand Final to Waverly and expand the stadium facilities there.

It could have been so very different. The Olympics in 1956 came very close to being held at Princes Park when they were choosing venues (it was the committees preferred option, but not the Governments). Then again, the Government intervened in 1984 when the VFL threatened to move the Grand Final to Waverly and expand the stadium facilities there.

I think if the VFL got the go-ahead at VFL Park in the 1980's, they would eventually make the move back to the city like in Adelaide. Maybe Melbourne hosts the Commonwealth Games in 2014 and not 2006, at a redeveloped MCG for the purpose, with the Great Southern Stand being built in this decade and extending right around the ground.

I get why the AFL likes to have the MCG available for round 1 for the blockbuster spectacle, BUT take this year. Only 12 games have exceeded the capacity of Etihad Stadium.

The reality is that the AFL really doesn't need the MCG as much as they would have you believe or the way the public think.

The bigger issue for the AFL to get their season started in mid-March, which would then open up some intriguing possibilities, is working with QLD, NSW and SA to get the GABBA, SCG and AO available from mid March.

Nice win for CA IMO because the AFL has more pressing ground issues.

It's not a 100,000 stadium because the Ashes sell out every 4 years.
Never said it was, just pointing out that it wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Back