Crime figures links to AFL footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I see suggestions in a Fairfax Media article by investigative journalists McKenzie & Baker of a plunge on an AFL team that unexpectedly rested several players. It is only a few lines in an article that centres on the more common racing types, but it applies to our game because of the need for money in AFL footy, and is a sharp reminder that the dollars of the TV rights deal are not enough to go around, otherwise betting would not be the important cash cow wooed by the AFL or many clubs.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/m...uspected-crime-syndicate-20141031-11eykp.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got one ....... late 1940's Melbourne as told from Family members.

Sunday football league was a very popular league particularly with gamblers and the league drew quite big crowds as no horses, VFL etc on Sundays back then to bet on.

In fact blokes like Ted Whitten played in the league it was a fairly high standard, some of the clubs were affiliated ( loosely) with VFL and VFA clubs, clubs like Collingwood, Fitzroy, Richmond, Carlton, Northcote, Williamstown etc etc.

The games were played at VFL homegrounds such as Punt Road, Vic park etc.

This particular time at Vic Park Collingwood were ahead by quite a significant amount when at half time a well known Fitzroy identity strode into the Collingwood rooms at half time and proceeded to strut around with his coat open displaying a pistol and not a word was said ....... surprisingly !!! Collingwood lost the game by 20 points.

Not going to mention the name of the identity or times and dates.

I got one ....... late 1940's Melbourne as told from Family members.

Sunday football league was a very popular league particularly with gamblers and the league drew quite big crowds as no horses, VFL etc on Sundays back then to bet on.

In fact blokes like Ted Whitten played in the league it was a fairly high standard, some of the clubs were affiliated ( loosely) with VFL and VFA clubs, clubs like Collingwood, Fitzroy, Richmond, Carlton, Northcote, Williamstown etc etc.

The games were played at VFL homegrounds such as Punt Road, Vic park etc.

This particular time at Vic Park Collingwood were ahead by quite a significant amount when at half time a well known Fitzroy identity strode into the Collingwood rooms at half time and proceeded to strut around with his coat open displaying a pistol and not a word was said ....... surprisingly !!! Collingwood lost the game by 20 points.

Not going to mention the name of the identity or times and dates.
Yeh you really wouldn't want to get that 120 yr old crime lord in trouble, I wonder if he uses big footy...?

Ross Lyon does this every game :D:p

I like this and I reckon it has some truth to it.

Fear is respect or alternatively respect is fear.

Coaching can't see the players to close or to far away, in fear of doing the wrong thing but independent enough to be confident enough to be creative.

BTW do you realise how close I was to the quaddi today ?. :mad:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back