Cripps vs Bontempelli

Remove this Banner Ad

The better Dogs comparison for Cripps is Tom Liberatore.

Cripps is ahead of where Libba was as a 20 y/o, but in his 21 y/o year Libba Jnr went from 351 disposals to 571, 101 clearances to 183, 65 tackles to 137 and 180 contested possessions to 319.

Both were playing in ordinary teams (sorry) at the time, so they're quite comparable.

If Cripps trends up even half as much as Libba Jnr did he'll project himself into the truly elite mids.

And I'd say for Bont's best Carlton comparison you'd probably have to go back to Koutoufides.

Both outside the typical moulds, physically and stylistically. It's a little hard to predict what sort of player Bont will evolve into, whereas Cripps seems to have a more defined projected career arc as a topline contested mid.

Not bad for a 20yo and that's only in 2015!

Career highlights

2015 John Nicholls Medallist
2015 Runner-up NAB Rising Star
2015 AFLPA 22under22 Team
2015 Carlton Chris Judd Academy Award
2015 Inner Blue Ruthless Award
2015 Hyundai MVP Award
2015 Blues Coterie Most Improved Player Award

FWIW, champion data applies the tag 'most underated in the comp' to the bont. They have some kind of formula that they apply to every involvement in play that a player has that supposedly measures their influence on a game, how they use it, whether that interaction wins the ball or merely applies defensive pressure or whatever - if they cough it up or butcher it they get -ve points. Its still just a stat, but if you are going to use stats at all, those would be the ones to use.

By their measure, Bont is 11th in the comp with 5xx points. The only other youngster in the top 20 is Wingard at number 20 - all the rest are the seasoned elite veterans of the comp such as Pendles, Danger, Fyfe, etc... I think Cripps came in around 2xx points, but Im not sure of the overall comp postition that gave him
Cool, he's widely viewed as being one of the better young mids in the comp.. he isn't underrated.
In any event, while Champion data has a place and can be a useful resource, using stats alone to rate players is crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bont is slow as a wet week over the the first 5 meters, but he is slippery and he knows when to go.
He reminds me of Pendlebury in that regard, as he always seems to have time - even in congestion and has that ability to open up play with a little shimmy or side step.

And I'd say for Bont's best Carlton comparison you'd probably have to go back to Koutoufides.

Both outside the typical moulds, physically and stylistically. It's a little hard to predict what sort of player Bont will evolve into, whereas Cripps seems to have a more defined projected career arc as a topline contested mid.
I really think that's Bont's best comparison in general, except maybe trade out a bit of Kouta's power for some extra class from Bont.

Cripps is bigger version of Jobe Watson, isnt he? Better hands than Watson.
Better hands and a better attitude.

In terms of influencing a game Bontompelli is the more apt comparison. His vision, ability to create, mobility, marking and the threat he provides up forward is more akin to Bontompelli than Liberatore.

Both are genuine young guns, I love watching Bont play and I obviously love watching young Cripps play. I agree with Azul in that Cripps still has some things to work on and I would have to say the Bont is the better player with match winning abilities at this stage.

Love Cripps though and he is exactly the right type of player we need with where we are at the moment.
I think that last paragraph hits the nail on the head. They are both what their respective clubs need. We need a Cripps at this point more than we need a Bont. The dogs however need a Bont more than a Cripps.
That certainly doesn't answer the question of who is a better player but I think that will continue to be argued well after they both finish their careers.

Probably more a question to the Dogs supporters, but wonder if The Bont would have been viewed an average sized CHF 15 years ago? Has that incredible core strength, breaks tackles, reads the game really well and knows where the goals are.

Could Kouta have made a full time career at CHF in any other side but Carlton?

Cripps is more physical and athletic than Watson imo. His best comparison is a bigger version of Kennedy imo

Cripps and Kennedy...good call, I reckon.

Think Cripps' achievements to date easily beat anything a young Kennedy might have done.

Probably more a question to the Dogs supporters, but wonder if The Bont would have been viewed an average sized CHF 15 years ago? Has that incredible core strength, breaks tackles, reads the game really well and knows where the goals are.
I think the Bont is wasted at CHF to be honest - his strengths include his inside ability, release by hand and winning the ball in general play.

Basically he's a decent CHF or an excellent midfielder, and you back 'excellent' over 'decent' any day of the week.
Stringer on the other hand...

I think the Bont is wasted at CHF to be honest - his strengths include his inside ability, release by hand and winning the ball in general play.

Basically he's a decent CHF or an excellent midfielder, and you back 'excellent' over 'decent' any day of the week.
Stringer on the other hand...

Totally agree. But 15 years ago you wouldn't have seen too many guys his size and athleticism being rotated through the middle.

Stringer is only 21??? Still time enough for him to become the modern day Gary Ablett Snr. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back