Critically acclaimed games that you thought were terrible

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll start with GTA IV - I have no idea how this got so many perfect scores. It's like the reviewers played it for only 2 hours. Horrifically boring.

I didn't enjoy the Single player and stopped halfway through. The amount of hours I put into the multiplayer though....

Oblivion, it was okay until i had to start entering the gates of Oblivion.
Also i got turned into a Vampire so i couldn't go out in sunlight.

I absolutely love Skyrim though, might have to give Oblivion another shot.

Oblivion, it was okay until i had to start entering the gates of Oblivion.
Also i got turned into a Vampire so i couldn't go out in sunlight.

I absolutely love Skyrim though, might have to give Oblivion another shot.
I had to start a new game on Oblivion because I became a Vampire, hated it, then the way to be cured was glitched so I couldn't do it.
That said, I still loved the game :p

Don't even bother pointing out why Im an idiot, but I found The Last of Us that mediocre that I couldnt even finish it.

I'm very much the same. My friend repeatedly tells me how good the story is, but I got about half way through abd haven't touched it since. Just didn't grab me like it grabbed everybody else.

I ******* hate Borderlands

This also. unless I had a group of friends playing it making it a lot more fun, borderlands two was one of the most boring games I've ever played.

And +1 for gta 4. After loving VC and SA so much to get to gta 4 and it just be so ugly, with such an annoying character like Roman and a character that was just bland like Nico, to go with horrible driving, this games just god awful. I can't talk for the MP as I couldn't stomach it enough to venture in to it.

Makes me sad that people say TLoU and that they stopped playing half way through, known that this game goes bang in the second half.

Makes me sad that people say TLoU and that they stopped playing half way through, known that this game goes bang in the second half.
I play games more for the game play than the story and I found the game play to be lacking and very stop start in the last of us

I play games more for the game play than the story and I found the game play to be lacking and very stop start in the last of us

I played through it twice and didn't once think that the game play was iffy, each to their own I guess.

Awesome, another overrated thread:

Fifa 14

-daylight-

Infamous Second Son
Skyrim
GTA IV
Mario Kart Series
All 2D Mario Games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Skyrim.

It wasn't awful, but I'll never hype a Bethesda game again.
I won't go into much detail apart from it could've been so, so much more but was streamlined as s**t.

I actually agree, although I really enjoyed the game. I love story-driven games so it absolutely appealed to me, but I can see how somebody that's not a huge fan of those sorts of games didn't really like it.

I'd have to list TLoU in this thread too sadly, although I wouldn't say it's terrible at all. I thought it was good, just not 10/10 best game ever good.

Others off the top of my head would be:
Dragon Age: Not a console game at all for mine, might be more suited to PC.
COD: Got some good multiplayer hours off the earlier ones but am so over it now despite the popularity.
Battlefield: Again, tactical war based FPS have been done to death.
World of Warcraft: It's like a glorified, expensive, HD version of Runescape.

All I can think of for now.

I actually agree, although I really enjoyed the game. I love story-driven games so it absolutely appealed to me, but I can see how somebody that's not a huge fan of those sorts of games didn't really like it.
I actually like story driven games, i just felt like every time the game got going I got interrupted for yet another cut scene. By the time i gave up i got the distinct impression that it wanted to be an interactive movie rather than a game

Bioshock Infinite (which i think is easily one of the best games of the last decade) had an excellent way of telling a detailed narrative while keeping the gameplay immersive

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back