Critically acclaimed games that you thought were terrible

Remove this Banner Ad

For this thread, Half-Life 2.

Half-Life is the superior game by so far it's ridiculous.
Good get.

I wouldn't say HL2 was terrible but it was hardly good and is grossly overrated. HL2 ep 1 is the definition of terrible though.

You shut your mouth
I've only played New Vegas but it just wasn't for me. I got frustrated by the fact that the story was told through massive walls of text. It wasn't weaved through anything, it was just a simple, "Here's some text. Read it if you want any idea of what's going on." The mode of story-telling was just awful for me and left me questioning why I wasn't just sitting down with a book. TLOU was a perfect example of how storytelling in games should be done, and it's not through optional NPC conversations that are incredibly long-winded. Combat also felt pretty clunky but that was less of an issue. Just not for me.

There aren't many I would think of as 'terrible'. Even if I don't agree with the acclaim, I can see why they're rated (e.g Skyrim). The list of 'critically acclaimed but I don't like them that much' is much longer, headlined by the aforementioned Elder Scrolls games.

Not the triggers, all though they're better then a button. It was more the analogue sticks and controller layout itself I hated.

PS4 controller is lightyears ahead of the old Dual shock from my short time using one.
I despised the DS3 controllers, pretty much switched entirely to 360 except for a couple exclusives because of them. The PS4 controllers are brilliant compared to them.

On topic - Can't stand Zelda games, never liked them, can't imagine I ever will. Total snorefest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I despised the DS3 controllers, pretty much switched entirely to 360 except for a couple exclusives because of them. The PS4 controllers are brilliant compared to them.

On topic - Can't stand Zelda games, never liked them, can't imagine I ever will. Total snorefest.
Strangely ... me too. My first was Link's Awakening and I needed 5 years and a guide to beat it. Have played LttP, didn't get past the 3/4 mark. Had someone beat OoT for me and did buy the 3DS version. I have the newer 3DS game and spent 3 hours on it at most.

Strangely ... me too. My first was Link's Awakening and I needed 5 years and a guide to beat it. Have played LttP, didn't get past the 3/4 mark. Had someone beat OoT for me and did buy the 3DS version. I have the newer 3DS game and spent 3 hours on it at most.

My favourite Zelda game is the least liked one in general (Zelda II on NES), not many others like it though.

My memory sucks, can't remember if i have replied in this topic previously but i'm going to say GTA V. I tried to get into it and keep playing once i finished the storyline missions but once that had happened and i spent some time in boosting my money via the stock market i lost interest. GTA Online was lame and boring to me. I'll probably check out the pc version whenever it gets released just to see what the frame rate is like.

I played (and loved) GTA IV a lot more than GTA V.

Final Fantasy series. Tried to play VII when I was young, hated every moment.

I hated FFX, i lasted until Blitzball and didn't go past that point.

I purchased FFXIII because it was cheap ($29 shortly after it came out..... K-Mart were having a clear out to end all clear outs haha). It's still in my unopened pile of shame.

I purchased FFXIII because it was cheap ($29 shortly after it came out..... K-Mart were having a clear out to end all clear outs haha). It's still in my unopened pile of shame.

FFXIII is one of the worst ones to start with. I'm still about 8 hours in and I've finished most of the PS era ones & FFVI

I haven't played Final Fantasy X because of some bad reviews. But a lot of people here like it and other people do too. It seems to be one of those polarising games. I like Final Fantasy 7, like Final Fantasy 8 as well even though it gets a lot of hate. Need to play Final Fantasy 9 and 6 which I've got sitting there on my Playstation 3. Also have to buy Final Fantasy 4.

I haven't played Final Fantasy X because of some bad reviews. But a lot of people here like it and other people do too. It seems to be one of those polarising games. I like Final Fantasy 7, like Final Fantasy 8 as well even though it gets a lot of hate. Need to play Final Fantasy 9 and 6 which I've got sitting there on my Playstation 3. Also have to buy Final Fantasy 4.
they generally only get hate because fan boys of each game try to play them off against each other. other main criticism is the stylistic narrative shift from VI to VII which is, whatever.

really, with the exception of final fantasy II which IS a piece of garbage, all the final fantasy games up to and including 10 are fantastic games worth playing.

You make me sick

Red Dead Redemption.

I don't hate the game so I wouldn't say "terrible" but I never finished it despite trying three times. It didn't drag me in like it seemed to drag everybody else in.

GTA 4.

The story and characters are ALL so boring. I don't see the appeal to Roman, he was an idiot and barely funny at all, not to mention how much the driving sucked.

I take back my RDR comment - love it now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back