Analysis Crocker as interim coach

Remove this Banner Ad

So what you are saying is that Crocker being removed from coaching midfield has been more important than him taking the head role?

Please Tas.

Surely give some credit where it's due.

lol it was a devil's advocate jest, since people are saying with Scott out and Crocker coaching it is the reason for the improved performance.

The crux of the joke is drawing simplistic conclusions from a lack of any real evidence.

Brad said we were going to make changes before the news of his surgery.

lol it was a devil's advocate jest, since people are saying with Scott out and Crocker coaching it is the reason for the improved performance.

The crux of the joke is drawing simplistic conclusions from a lack of any real evidence.

Brad said we were going to make changes before the news of his surgery.

Lack of any real evidence?

Think it's been explained a few times already, and not just be me, that clearly things HAVE changed quite obviously in various ways and I don't think it's drawing a long bow to put some, if not all, down to Crocker.

But if you think it is all just a coincidence and/or nothing has changed at all, then you are entitled to your opinion.

I'm wrapped in what I've seen and whilst I still have major issues with our skill level, and at times lack of structure, and so on......it has been a clear improvement, and has got me somewhat hopeful the rest of the year might actually be more than just a waste of time.

Last edited:

Think it's been explained a few times already, and not just be me, that clearly things HAVE changed and I don't think it's drawing a long bow to put some, if not all, down to Crocker.

But if you think it is all just a coincidence and/or nothing has changed at all, then you are entitled to your opinion.

I'm wrapped in what I've seen and whilst I still have major issues with our skill level, and at times lack of structure, and so on......it has been a clear improvement, and has got me somewhat hopeful the rest of the year might actually be more than just a waste of time.

Crocks strikes me as laid back, willing to give the leadership autonomy to make decisions, but himself not afraid to step in and make decisions and give feedback good or bad when needed. A good balance.

I just don't get the airhead 'keep playing this guy until he comes good/it's good experience longterm/I'm going to stick to my structures no matter what' vibe from him at all. He seems to be cut from the old school 'pick a team to win, and then coach a team to win' cloth, where the computer has it's use during the week, but on the weekend it's about responding to what's actually happening out there.

Of course, this is just the vibe I get when he's interim coach. I just like what I see. And sure, it's probably a freed-up side listening to a different voice, and there will always be some immediate positives that can be seen (see Carlton right now, maybe we're Carlton-lite :p), however I think past a honeymoon period, I don't think Crocks would be the type of guy to tolerate rubbish performances for too long without actually doing anything.

tl;dr?
"Crocks is a meat, potatoes and, if things get too unhealthy, maybe sometimes bowl of peas, old school coach, who likes to try to win every game".

Love what Crocks is bringing to the table. Particularly like the tagging role given to Jacobs the last 2 games. Went very against Hannebery and played on Parker in the last quarter in the Sydney game. Played on Shiel on the weekend and went to Treloar in the last quarter and done a fine job on them too. Can only hope Scotts learns a thing or 2 from this.

Also like the fact Crocks gave them a rev up at 3/4 time as he could see they were coming in the 3rd quarter. Was good to see the boys respond.

I mean a lack of evidence in terms of who was involved in making the change, from what I understand BS is still calling the shots but Crocker has full control gameday. Jacobs tagging is no evidence that BS wasn't involved in that decision making process. He might have, but we don't know.

Think it's been explained a few times already, and not just be me, that clearly things HAVE changed quite obviously in various ways and I don't think it's drawing a long bow to put some, if not all, down to Crocker.

Obviously he has played a role, the sticking point is how much are we putting it down to Crocker.

I think some things are coincidences.

Brad's last two games were against Fremantle up there and Collingwood on the return leg, teams often have a problem with the return leg coming from WA. He goes missing and we play Eagles in horrendous conditions and they butchered the ball going for goal, the last quarter was particularly memorable due to the fight we showed but put in bad quarters as well. We then played the Swans who beat us, put in a really bad second quarter and played a depleted GWS.

I think the coincidence is that the opposition hasn't been as good or the conditions dragged the game to a standard we weren't too exposed at rather than us playing exceptionally better, even against the GWS it was comedy hour if you took the second halves of the first three quarters. We still make the same dumb mistakes we made while Brad was coaching, the opposition isn't as good though given the conditions/circumstances.

For Collingwood we got back Swallow from injury, Jacobs came back in to play run with roles, we dropped McDonald, Turner and Atley who weren't giving us much all season.

We ran with the same team for Swans and for GWS we got Dal Santo back and gave Atley another crack and dropped Bastinac who has also been underwhelming this season.

The obvious call is Crocker has made changes... true, but Scott said we were going to be making changes after the Collingwood game, the lack of evidence being is would the match committee have made the same changes regardless? There are a number of people involved in picking the team.

We just had a lot of tough games in the first half of the year and we have been unlucky enough that we have been missing 3 prime mids and 2-3 second tier mids/flankers when the good teams we have played have had pretty much their first choice mids to pick from. While we coped with the losses last year, the form of too many other players has been not good enough to carry missing so many players. Not only missing players but carrying a bunch of dead wood in the process.

I think some players have stepped up, but there are still a lot of negative signs like the lazy footy, the tackling and pressure dropped off significantly since the West Coast game, our players seem stuck in a cycle of lazy/shame/redemption, one they get to that redemption standard they have a lack of desire to sustain that and get lazy, we get in trouble and they have to redeem themselves again. It is not a good cycle that is going to get us anywhere, that concerns me.

Also, with the changes we have made we are carrying a lot fewer players, that is significant and again, we don't have the evidence as to if the decisions to make the changes were going to be made regardless. I also think it woke up the players a bit when Scott needed the break, even if the back issue is legit and its the only issue, as a player you would know that however bad he is feeling, you contributed to him feeling worse.

Despite BF opinion, I would imagine he is well liked by the players.

If having Jacobs tag is suddenly Scott's idea, then good on him. Finally!
I think it's a bit too much of a coincidence though, for a guy who has stubbornly stuck to his offensive guns no matter who the opposition have been, to suddenly start texting in good ideas like tagging the opposition's dangerous mid.
Or maybe he's been reading BF in his downtime, and has noticed some astute posts.

Whoevers idea it has been, it's good.

Exactly Brad's been talking s**t for six years and still nothing had been done. Same selections same players same embarresing press conference same s**t..

A new voice has been great for the players i think and am really worried that things go back to the same when B.S comes back..

Amazing what getting dropped did for Atley !
Regardless if it was Brad's idea which i dont believe at all.
Players should have been dropped long time ago and they wern't and that's on Brad!!
I hope Crock coaches the team for the rest of the year and we look for another coach.. Prefferably someone that know's what he's doing apart from looking at his laptop, maybe dropping an out of form player maybe making a move or two on gameday. Maybe listening to his assistants as well and stop being so stubborn cause from the outside looking in as a member that's how it looks....

Last edited:
It is interesting looking at the stats in regards to possessions over the past 3 games vs the season overall.

Under Crocker
w 12 vs GWS 215 kicks vs 164 handballs
w11 vs Sydney 190 kicks vs 137 handballs
w10 vs West Coast 199 kicks vs 134 handballs

Under Scott
w9 vs C'wood 189 kicks vs 164 hb
w8 vs Dockers 178 kicks vs 157 hb
w7 vs * 232 kicks vs 140 hb
w6 vs Tigers 188 kicks vs 136 hb
w5 vs Hawks 183 kicks vs 176 hb
w4 vs Cats 204 kicks vs 187 hb
w3 vs Port 197 kicks vs 190 Hb
w2 vs Bris 206 kicks vs 195 hb
w1 vs Adel 172 kicks vs 144 hb

It is too early to tell after only 3 games obviously, but it appears under Crock that we are favouring a more kick based gameplan and we have now gone 3 games conceding under 91 points (our best run of the season). I would be interested to see if the greater kick ratio has meant a little less run forward and has resulted in our mids and defenders not getting exposed out of position so regularly.

Any thoughts?

It is interesting looking at the stats in regards to possessions over the past 3 games vs the season overall.

Under Crocker
w 12 vs GWS 215 kicks vs 164 handballs
w11 vs Sydney 190 kicks vs 137 handballs
w10 vs West Coast 199 kicks vs 134 handballs

Under Scott
w9 vs C'wood 189 kicks vs 164 hb
w8 vs Dockers 178 kicks vs 157 hb
w7 vs * 232 kicks vs 140 hb
w6 vs Tigers 188 kicks vs 136 hb
w5 vs Hawks 183 kicks vs 176 hb
w4 vs Cats 204 kicks vs 187 hb
w3 vs Port 197 kicks vs 190 Hb
w2 vs Bris 206 kicks vs 195 hb
w1 vs Adel 172 kicks vs 144 hb

It is too early to tell after only 3 games obviously, but it appears under Crock that we are favouring a more kick based gameplan and we have now gone 3 games conceding under 91 points (our best run of the season). I would be interested to see if the greater kick ratio has meant a little less run forward and has resulted in our mids and defenders not getting exposed out of position so regularly.

Any thoughts?
Hmmmm....
-The 5 games where our ratio was the highest got us 4 wins and a loss to Sydney.
-the Crocker games are 3 of those top 5

I don't know what it means, but I think you're onto something :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmmm....
-The 5 games where our ratio was the highest got us 4 wins and a loss to Sydney.
-the Crocker games are 3 of those top 5

I don't know what it means, but I think you're onto something :thumbsu:

...it means sack SCOTTS.

Breaking-Bad-Walter-White-Wink.gif

Your god damn right!

We won't sack Scott but at the very least it puts us in a better position to make a call (if one needs to be made) at end of season or similar.

It is only a taste of a "different" North, but one in which I've welcomed so far even if we still have issues to address.

Last edited:
Thanks for your input MrBrad. How is your back going?

We won't sack Scott but at the very least it puts us in a better position to make a call (if one needs to be made) at end of season or similar.

It is only a taste of a "different" North, but one in which I've welcomed so far even if we still have issues to address.
Oh no chance well sack him and its refreshing to see Crocks at the helm. Agreed on the part.
My post was a subtle Walter White reference.

If in 2016 we sit where we do right now the "we won't sack him" may be a very different chorus.
Isn't Scott contracted through to the end of 2016? Therefore, at the very least we should not offer a renewal until later in the season.

Brad's last two games were against Fremantle up there and Collingwood on the return leg, teams often have a problem with the return leg coming from WA. He goes missing and we play Eagles in horrendous conditions and they butchered the ball going for goal, the last quarter was particularly memorable due to the fight we showed but put in bad quarters as well. We then played the Swans who beat us, put in a really bad second quarter

So we were lucky because West Coast butchered the ball going for goal, but not unlucky the following week when we butchered the ball going for goal?

Don't bother with a long comeback, cbf'd reading it.

one thing I know, Micky Martyn has said that if Crocker was full time coach he would come back and work properly at the club as a coach instead of just helping out here and there.

Interesting that in the midseason review video with Crocker and Spitta there wasn't a single mention of Brad coming back. I thought that was rather unusual.

The fact that moves have been made on match day, leads me to believe that 'Scott is lacking as a match day coach' is a true statement.

What kind of moves are you referring to?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back