NRL Cronulla Sharks could be forced to relocate to Central or Southern Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

Perth should have a team next, and yes we actually do have a presence there. The work done with their SG Ball team and the support shown towards NRL games needs to be carried through.

Is that ignoring 110+ of producing international quality league players in Wellington and Christchurch? The last two NRL matches played in NZ (one was a pre season trial match) were in either the southern part of the north or in the south island. The pre season trial match in Dunedin drew 16500 and the NRL match in Wellington drew 30000. I'd argue that a second NRL club was more deserving for NZ than Perth.

Is that ignoring 110+ of producing international quality league players in Wellington and Christchurch? The last two NRL matches played in NZ (one was a pre season trial match) were in either the southern part of the north or in the south island. The pre season trial match in Dunedin drew 16500 and the NRL match in Wellington drew 30000. I'd argue that a second NRL club was more deserving for NZ than Perth.

Australia will look after Australia mate. Our best hope for now will rely on clubs taking the game to NZ for financial gain. That will happen. Another team will come eventually, but it's going to be 3rd or 4th in line. Our role until then will to be to continue to provide players for NRL teams and grow the game in NZ.

Our role until then will to be to continue to provide players for NRL teams...

I thought that was the job of Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, PNG...

In fact, they have it twice as bad; they have to provide players for Australia and NZ. :p

I thought that was the job of Samoa, Tonga, Fiji, PNG...

In fact, they have it twice as bad; they have to provide players for Australia and NZ. :p

Hehe. They used to day that about our union side as well until the World Cup year someone highlighted how something like 20+ of the Western Samoan squad were born in NZ.

Cronulla are not going anywhere. Dave Smith has come out and said they aren't thinking about moving any teams.

Correct. Thank God the NRL have put someone in charge who isn't incompetent. Anyone who thinks taking a team out of Sutherland Shire wouldn't be a complete disaster for the NRL has rocks in their head.

A lot of talk on the radio this morning about the CQ bid. Would be a tough decision for me whether to support the new team or stay with the Doggies. Would love for it to happen.

It's a well known fact Cronulla have been in financial strife for a while now, with and without the Peptides.

The NRL also handle things like this differently to the AFL.

It's also been well-documented that ASADA are still coming after Cronulla; however back to the first point, Cronulla don't have the financial resources to challenge ASADA, the NRL or any sanctions handed down to them.

Which brings us back to this thread.

Any sanctions, both player bans and fines, would put nails in the coffin. Cronulla have no future in Sydney. Surely the club knows that they face the prospect of being relocated interstate or to NZ.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Queensland want a new team not a rebranded or relocated one.

At the same time they may have to compromise; if the Central Queensland bid doesn't get enough momentum they may have to have Cronulla.

CQ just want a side, they produce some great players.

It will be a big expansion period coming up for the NRL.

Potential inclusion of West Coast Pirates (WA team), potential re-inclusion of North Sydney (relocated to Central Coast) and relocation of Cronulla to CQ.

NRL won't expand, they can't afford too.

Best to happen would be Wests to WA, Sharks to either Brisbane or CQ

But the game needs to expand out of NSW.

If it doesn't move to WA, CQ, SEQ, SA it won't move forward, the game needs to reward areas that are through and through heartland Leagueies.

If the Bears get readmitted before CQ gets a team i'm out.

Bears bid to re-enter as Central Coast is the strongest bid so far and the longest as well.
If the above statement was true, they'd be in the comp already. NRL have postponed expansion several times and there's no way they would've if they wanted the Bears back. Maybe the second Brisbane team can be the Brisbane Bears?

"Brisbane Bears will live forever, we will always stick together..."

Trouble is, the NRL does want a Central Coast team.

Another idea would be to have the Dragons play more games down at Wollongong or wherever the Steelers played. At least then it gets some Sydney teams into more "regional" areas. Also, if Parramatta and Penrith don't bring in some success in the near future, merge them and have the new team as GWS....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back