Analysis Crowley and Dawson

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed, Dawson will be straight in when he's fit. Not sure who for but. Tough decision.

Crowley no.. Loved his service to the club, but I think he's done

The team named to play the Bummers has a back line of Sutty - Alex Pearce - Spurr
half back line of Ibbo - Johno - Clancee

Things are a bit light on down back with that line up and much will depend on the defensive RTB system rather than the personnel. Yes Dawson will be straight back in regardless of Macca being fit or not IMO.

As Zac's BF buddy it's heart warming to see some love for the guy.

Great effort by Crowley to get everything possible out of his time at Freo but may get rubbed out and if not will have a hard job shifting any of the incumbents who have helped to take the team into a more attacking phase.

The team named to play the Bummers has a back line of Sutty - Alex Pearce - Spurr
half back line of Ibbo - Johno - Clancee

Things are a bit light on down back with that line up and much will depend on the defensive RTB system rather than the personnel. Yes Dawson will be straight back in regardless of Macca being fit or not IMO.

As Zac's BF buddy it's heart warming to see some love for the guy.

Great effort by Crowley to get everything possible out of his time at Freo but may get rubbed out and if not will have a hard job shifting any of the incumbents who have helped to take the team into a more attacking phase.

I think Dawson does a lot of unrewarded work off the ball. Shepparding/blocking etc. I think he comes in for either Ibbo or Clancee.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...nson-and-pavlich.1069094/page-7#post-33940205

My post from July 2014:

"Here's one from left field: Does anyone think that our midfield could be talented enough one day to not need a tagger? Or will we always need a guy to lock down someone? Did the Hawks use a tagger on us in the GF?
(Before anyone rips my head off I'm not saying drop Crowley, just wondering what everyone thinks.)"

Seems I was right, we don't need Crowley.

IMO Dawson, like any of our defenders, only looks any good when the delivery into our D50 is under pressure. He got demolished against St. Kilda last year when there was little pressure on the ball coming out of the middle. The problem with Dawson is he lacks confidence to rebound the ball out of defense unlike most of our other defenders. He tends to look for someone to handball the ball to first (ala big sandi) instead of having the confidence to hit up a target somewhere. It has been refreshing watching the ball come out of our D50 this year without the hindrance of Dawson who seems to only be able to shepherd or handball. I wish he just had more confidence because I've seen some great kicks from him (usually when there is no one near by to handball to).
Ah well that's my opinion and I'm sure someone will tell me I'm completely wrong.

I don't buy that Dawson will be straight back in. I'm pretty sure he missed months before the season started and we're into round 5. He'll come back through the magoos unless Johnson or Pearce injure themselves this week. I wouldn't expect any AFL player to come straight back in after that much time out.

Crowley played as a non tagger in the final against Sydney.

Yep. He also played as a non-tagger in our win against Hawthorn.

I reckon the demolishing of Sydney last year by the Hawks has caused Ross to change his view on ultra defensive.

Nah, Ross changed the game plan last year. As both Mundy and Fyfe have explained, we're just implementing it better this year.

I think Dawson does a lot of unrewarded work off the ball. Shepparding/blocking etc. I think he comes in for either Ibbo or Clancee.

Totally agree about Dawson's great work going largely unrewarded, but Ibbo and Clancee were our missing links in the 2013 GF. Healthy and in form as they now are, they are absolute keys in my view.

IMO Dawson, like any of our defenders, only looks any good when the delivery into our D50 is under pressure. He got demolished against St. Kilda last year when there was little pressure on the ball coming out of the middle. The problem with Dawson is he lacks confidence to rebound the ball out of defense unlike most of our other defenders. He tends to look for someone to handball the ball to first (ala big sandi) instead of having the confidence to hit up a target somewhere. It has been refreshing watching the ball come out of our D50 this year without the hindrance of Dawson who seems to only be able to shepherd or handball. I wish he just had more confidence because I've seen some great kicks from him (usually when there is no one near by to handball to).
Ah well that's my opinion and I'm sure someone will tell me I'm completely wrong.

I think your wrong :D

Just isolating that game is a bit of stretch to point out Dawson in what was a terrible performance. Not many players beat there opponents and the amount of entries to the 50 was always going to put our defenders under the pump. The fact we had Sylvia, Morabito and Griffen (with 14 possessions between them) in the team shows we were undermanned.

Dawson is not and never will be a designated kicker. It is not his role. He is a one on one defender, which is extremely hard for forwards to beat because of his arm reach and agility and burst speed. He also reads the ball in the air very well and reads the play in advance.

So if we can get the notion of him being anything than a forward stopper then it will deflect the perception of his skills as this all encompassing footballer. It is pointless comparing him to Johnson or McPharlin. He allows for the 3rd man up to play a great role for us which Ross loves to do, which McPhee did such a good job at. With Dawson and McPharlin as our key defenders for the talls, it frees Johnson and Ibbo for the 3rd man up, and releases these players as kickers with the likes of Duffield and Clancee.

So yes I have a lot of love for Zac - I think he is tough, team oriented and rarely gets beaten over the course of 4 quarters. If someone wants to provide stats on the number of goals kicked against him then that may give something to counter my argument.

Totally agree about Dawson's great work going largely unrewarded, but Ibbo and Clancee were our missing links in the 2013 GF. Healthy and in form as they now are, they are absolute keys in my view.

Ibbo was definitely the missing link. But I don't see them both in with Dawson unless one moves to MDB role as sub.

Well, I have both earn their spot the hard way. Meaning they need to replace a most likely more offensive player by giving more to the team. Freeing up Johnson won't necessarily offer more when it comes at the cost of replacing a more offensive player with Dawson. Hard to say and probably depend on form and matchups as well. I actually liked our backline with only McPharlin and Johnson as talls (and Ibbo as half tall) a lot.

But like others said: Injury will surely force changes at times during the season. But without it will and should be hard to push for a spot in a winning team.

Ibbo was definitely the missing link. But I don't see them both in with Dawson unless one moves to MDB role as sub.

I'm agnostic as to whether Dawson should be in. My point was rather that a firing Ibbo and Clancee strike me as absolutely essential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm agnostic as to whether Dawson should be in. My point was rather that a firing Ibbo and Clancee strike me as absolutely essential.

Fair call indeed, and they are both in ripping form. It's a good situation to be in regardless.
I'm just a fan of Dawson's work (mainly without the ball) & would rather Johnson go back to the spare man/resting ruck role he's so good at. Mind you if Alex Pearce has a blinder, keep him in an extra week

I think your wrong :D

Just isolating that game is a bit of stretch to point out Dawson in what was a terrible performance. Not many players beat there opponents and the amount of entries to the 50 was always going to put our defenders under the pump. The fact we had Sylvia, Morabito and Griffen (with 14 possessions between them) in the team shows we were undermanned.

Dawson is not and never will be a designated kicker. It is not his role. He is a one on one defender, which is extremely hard for forwards to beat because of his arm reach and agility and burst speed. He also reads the ball in the air very well and reads the play in advance.

So if we can get the notion of him being anything than a forward stopper then it will deflect the perception of his skills as this all encompassing footballer. It is pointless comparing him to Johnson or McPharlin. He allows for the 3rd man up to play a great role for us which Ross loves to do, which McPhee did such a good job at. With Dawson and McPharlin as our key defenders for the talls, it frees Johnson and Ibbo for the 3rd man up, and releases these players as kickers with the likes of Duffield and Clancee.

So yes I have a lot of love for Zac - I think he is tough, team oriented and rarely gets beaten over the course of 4 quarters. If someone wants to provide stats on the number of goals kicked against him then that may give something to counter my argument.

I wasn't saying he is not a good one on one defender, just pointing out that any defender in our team at the moment would be due to the pressure on the opposition's I50's. Therefore I think we are better off having a defense with more attacking, less one dimensional defenders (it has worked so far this year). I can't see who he would replace at the moment, and if Alex Pearce shows that he can confidently rebound the ball out of D50 then I think he should keep Zac out of the team too. No one is going to get bags kicked on them with our current midfield dominance.

Crowley is bordering on useless if he's not minding someone. Love the bloke and what he's done but for mine he's almost certainly played his last game for Fremantle.
At his stage of career he has made a fatal error (assuming that he is found guilty by ASADA). Not only has he deprived the team of the option of having a full list to choose from, but even if he returned at some stage he would taken significant time to become ready to play against the top midfielders in the league, which is his niche role. That is a very difficult thing to conjour. In the meantime the coach has had to find a new, younger player and adjust the game plan. Given that has worked so far the door is closed for Crowley barring some seismic shift in the fortunes of our current best 25 or so.

Also have a lot of respect for what he has done at the club as one of our genuine warriors, but very disappointed at how I think his career will end.

At his stage of career he has made a fatal error (assuming that he is found guilty by ASADA). Not only has he deprived the team of the option of having a full list to choose from, but even if he returned at some stage he would taken significant time to become ready to play against the top midfielders in the league, which is his niche role. That is a very difficult thing to conjour. In the meantime the coach has had to find a new, younger player and adjust the game plan. Given that has worked so far the door is closed for Crowley barring some seismic shift in the fortunes of our current best 25 or so.

Also have a lot of respect for what he has done at the club as one of our genuine warriors, but very disappointed at how I think his career will end.
Yep the sad thing is the way it's ended. I think last year it was becoming clear he wouldn't have a definite role this season.

He has been great for us. Aside from a raft of injuries I would hope even if available he wouldn't be chosen. Gu, sherro and Croz can't get a game.

Just sad how it looks like ending. Dream scenario would be he gets time served and plays at home late in the year when we are two games top of the ladder and he gets a good send off at home.

I wasn't saying he is not a good one on one defender, just pointing out that any defender in our team at the moment would be due to the pressure on the opposition's I50's. Therefore I think we are better off having a defense with more attacking, less one dimensional defenders (it has worked so far this year). I can't see who he would replace at the moment, and if Alex Pearce shows that he can confidently rebound the ball out of D50 then I think he should keep Zac out of the team too. No one is going to get bags kicked on them with our current midfield dominance.

Pearce had a great game tonight. Seems a natural reader of the game, and not afraid to commit. Some good marks.

I still think a player like Dawson is so handy, he has proven himself in the big games on numerous occasions, and if he can negate the best forward then it helps you win the match. He spoils then the cavalry can come in to mop up. Having Pearce and Silvagni is essential on the list as we are going to have MJ and Elvis miss some games, either through injury or management, so if we have all to choose from then it is a win win and I will back the coaching staff based on the opposition for the given week.

Crowley probably wouldn't have been best 22 this year, but I stop short of being "disappointed" with this whole ASADA deal.

The guy took a Panadeine. The fact that isn't allowed is ASADA's problem. Absolutely ridiculous.

Pearce had a great game tonight. Seems a natural reader of the game, and not afraid to commit. Some good marks.

I still think a player like Dawson is so handy, he has proven himself in the big games on numerous occasions, and if he can negate the best forward then it helps you win the match. He spoils then the cavalry can come in to mop up. Having Pearce and Silvagni is essential on the list as we are going to have MJ and Elvis miss some games, either through injury or management, so if we have all to choose from then it is a win win and I will back the coaching staff based on the opposition for the given week.

He looked great for his first game. That roar when he got his first touch was awesome.

I think it's possible that Johnson's ability to pinch hit as another tall whilst still be able to rebound effectively like he always has been, may put some pressure on Dawson to snag his spot back in the immediate. RTB may enjoy having the additional kicking option coming out of the backline without losing what Dawson would ordinarily bring. He might find himself in Mzungu's position waiting for an unfortunate injury before he gets another crack.

I think it's possible that Johnson's ability to pinch hit as another tall whilst still be able to rebound effectively like he always has been, may put some pressure on Dawson to snag his spot back in the immediate. RTB may enjoy having the additional kicking option coming out of the backline without losing what Dawson would ordinarily bring. He might find himself in Mzungu's position waiting for an unfortunate injury before he gets another crack.
I reckon this is on the cards. Ross is certainly in no hurry to get Dawson back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back