Roast Crowley's Treatment at the Hands of the Umpires

Should the club make an official complaint

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Has gone beyond ridiculous now, I think it's time the club made an official complaint.

It's alright to pay the free kicks that are there, but they were making them up last night out of some misplaced sense of sympathy for Mark Murphy. Crowley also has the right to be protected from illegal activity like elbows to the guts and head high bumps, but not one incident was picked up. I wouldn't even be surprised if the MRP didn't bother trying to find the reason why he ended up doubled over on the ground gasping for air.

The guy is one of the fairest players getting around and is treated like a pariah, fully sanctioned by the AFL. :thumbsdown:

Every story needs a villain. I'm happy if Crowley is the villain.

What I don't like is Marc Murphy being the good guy. Soft, outside running receivers who feign for free kicks aren't the good guy.

Remember the dive he took against Schammer?

Thought I don't like it in principle, if they're going to help protect a flopper like Murphy because he's the 'ball player' as opposed to the tagger by watching the match-up carefully, then that's OK, call it if it's there. But what I saw last night was deplorable. I'm not an umpire basher, I'm really not. Nobody likes a bad call, and I understand that it just goes against you occasionally - but there wasn't the odd bad call, it was repeated and pre-emptive.

Secondly, as you say Reg, Crowley has every right to be protected too - and he was hammered. Having said that, I think Creepy could deal with the treatment that he gets from the opposition players, it goes with the territory really - but when the umps start ganging up on you too and call such utter bullshit as they did, that must be tough to deal with.

I don't mind if the club don't make a big song and dance about it, it's not our style nor should it be, but just quietly they should absolutely make a formal complaint to the AFL.

I reckon this week would be as good as any to make it public, coming up against Sooky J & Selwood, not Ross' style but perhaps we can get an ex-player (Josh Carr*!) to come out and make mention of it in the media just to put the heat on.

*I know he is at Port now so wouldn't do it but maybe his brother!

Thought I don't like it in principle, if they're going to help protect a flopper like Murphy because he's the 'ball player' as opposed to the tagger by watching the match-up carefully, then that's OK, call it if it's there. But what I saw last night was deplorable. I'm not an umpire basher, I'm really not. Nobody likes a bad call, and I understand that it just goes against you occasionally - but there wasn't the odd bad call, it was repeated and pre-emptive.

Secondly, as you say Reg, Crowley has every right to be protected too - and he was hammered. Having said that, I think Creepy could deal with the treatment that he gets from the opposition players, it goes with the territory really - but when the umps start ganging up on you too and call such utter bullshit as they did, that must be tough to deal with.

I don't mind if the club don't make a big song and dance about it, it's not our style nor should it be, but just quietly they should absolutely make a formal complaint to the AFL.

All of this.

(Although I have been known to be a bit of an umpire basher at times... I'll 'fess up.)

Ross aluded to not getting "the rub of the green" a few times in his presser last night... I don't think we'll make a formal complaint but geez you know we're getting frustrated when Ross says something other than "we'll focus on controlling what we can control".

Crowley should learn a lesson from last night. The bullshit umpiring only started when he rag-dolled Murphy after the elbow to the guts. The umpires never see the first one, but saw the second and from then on thought that Crowley is illegally trying to scrag Murphy rather than the other way around. After that, the flood gates opened.

He handled Boomer a lot better the infamous pinching game when Boomer went to town on him and Crowley just copped it and won the battle.

Good taggers don't try and be tough men, they just stop their men getting the ball. I can understand it would have been tough though putting up with a little bloke like Murphy niggling. Probably why so many players can't stand Ballas and snap.

Pretty easy to make sense of what happened - Crowley has owned Murphy for a while generally.

MM instructed his players and Murphy not to let Crowley get away with anything without some harsh treatment. This lead to some heated moments and umpires looked at Crowls from the outset as the 'bad guy'. Not too mention Murphy staged as bad as I have ever seen in recent times.

I can see the likes of Gary Lyon and Co praising the Carlton teammates of Murphy post round. But some of the hits he received were closer to dog acts.

I don't know how bias affects my judgement - but I have never really known Crowley to be the 'dirty' sort - tough and fair. Understandably, coaches say stand up to him but I don't think he deserves bad guy status.

Ross aluded to not getting "the rub of the green" a few times in his presser last night... I don't think we'll make a formal complaint but geez you know we're getting frustrated when Ross says something other than "we'll focus on controlling what we can control".

Also said something like (when referring to Crowls), "He gets battered each week but keeps soldiering on" or words to that effect which was a pretty obviously an implicit statement that Crowley gets ****ed over in the manner Reg describes.

I remember last year constantly hearing s**t like "Have to keep an eye on Crowley" over the ump mics. A little disturbing that they're observing him so closely with such a prejudice. You'd think if they were properly keeping an eye on him they'd actually see the treatment he copped from time to time and pay him the odd free.

But he's a villain and he's not allowed to be treated fairly so that's that.

Crowley should learn a lesson from last night. The bullshit umpiring only started when he rag-dolled Murphy after the elbow to the guts. The umpires never see the first one, but saw the second and from then on thought that Crowley is illegally trying to scrag Murphy rather than the other way around. After that, the flood gates opened.

He handled Boomer a lot better the infamous pinching game when Boomer went to town on him and Crowley just copped it and won the battle.

Good taggers don't try and be tough men, they just stop their men getting the ball. I can understand it would have been tough though putting up with a little bloke like Murphy niggling. Probably why so many players can't stand Ballas and snap.

He's only human, how many players would just let something like Murphy just elbow them in the guts without retaliation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty easy to make sense of what happened - Crowley has owned Murphy for a while generally.

MM instructed his players and Murphy not to let Crowley get away with anything without some harsh treatment. This lead to some heated moments and umpires looked at Crowls from the outset as the 'bad guy'. Not too mention Murphy staged as bad as I have ever seen in recent times.

I can see the likes of Gary Lyon and Co praising the Carlton teammates of Murphy post round. But some of the hits he received were closer to dog acts.

I don't know how bias affects my judgement - but I have never really known Crowley to be the 'dirty' sort - tough and fair. Understandably, coaches say stand up to him but I don't think he deserves bad guy status.

Not only the bolded... Murphy was deliberately cheap-shotting Crowls to get him to react. He targeted his solar plexus with punches a number of times after that elbow. I absolutely loved Gibbs stepping on Murphy's face in one sequence... Crowls had tackled Murphy to the ground and was standing over him, Murphy pops up and aims a punch at Crowls solar plexus again... Crowls pushes Murphy back down and Gibbs steps on his face in the resulting caffuffle.

I rewound it several times and laughed. Murphy was a dirty little pr!ck himself last night. I'm sure it was part of Malthouse's plan to stop Murphy getting owned again by Crowls. The umpires were a f*cking joke... they were well and truly on board in the Crowls persecution.

I understand that umpires are human and so can be unknowingly biased or/and make the occasional mistake.
But last night went way beyond that. They were actually calling stuff that wasn't even there! And game changing calls in front of goal for the matter.
Agree that a song and dance with the media is no required, but a please explain from umpires is definitely in order.

The one that doubled Crowley up wasn't even shown on TV, so I don't know if they'll go looking for it in the behind the goals footage.

The worst one was a bit of a blur and you need slow motion to see it properly. Wood goes up for the ruck and then runs straight at Crowley because he's being Murphy's shadow. He clocks Crowley in the neck/chin area with a forceful forearm, Crowley goes down in a heap and Murphy is knocked to the side and falls against MDB's shoulder with his neck. Umpire sees that and gives Murphy a free for high contact. FMD.

I want to totally bitch slap that soft p**ck Murphy
Any idea why Crowls appeared to have been crying? He looked quite subdued singing the song

Yeah I thought he looked a little emotional after the game.

He deserves better treatment, as the op said. I remember Joel Selwood last year saying that a few taggers step over the line but Crowley isn't one of them so I'm not sure why he is painted as a villain all the time.

The worst one I saw was during a boundary throw in, the Carlton ruckman ran through Crowley, which then made him bump over Murphy - somehow Murphy got the free kick. It was after Sandi's big play where he spoiled the ball on the wing (my tweet history says it was after that :p)

The one that doubled Crowley up wasn't even shown on TV, so I don't know if they'll go looking for it in the behind the goals footage.

The worst one was a bit of a blur and you need slow motion to see it properly. Wood goes up for the ruck and then runs straight at Crowley because he's being Murphy's shadow. He clocks Crowley in the neck/chin area with a forceful forearm, Crowley goes down in a heap and Murphy is knocked to the side and falls against MDB's shoulder with his neck. Umpire sees that and gives Murphy a free for high contact. FMD.

The worst one I saw was during a boundary throw in, the Carlton ruckman ran through Crowley, which then made him bump over Murphy - somehow Murphy got the free kick. It was after Sandi's big play where he spoiled the ball on the wing (my tweet history says it was after that :p)

This to me is all the evidence you need that he's clearly being persecuted by the umps, I went into a bit of a frenzy during this incident.

Had to roll my eyes too when anything contentious happened wasn't shown on replay, just sweep it under the rug nothing to see here etc etc. Corrupt.

Is that the elbow to the guts that lead to Crowls slinging Murphy to the ground and getting pinged for retaliation? It was shown on the big screen at the game so there's pretty clear video evidence of it if the MRP care to look.

If there's any justice in the AFL Murphy will get a week for it. You can guarantee Ballas would get done for doing exactly the same thing.

Justice in the AFL... LOL! Instead they'll probably find some minor thing to give Fyfe a week for.

Is that the elbow to the guts that lead to Crowls slinging Murphy to the ground and getting pinged for retaliation? It was shown on the big screen at the game so there's pretty clear video evidence of it if the MRP care to look.

If there's any justice in the AFL Murphy will get a week for it. You can guarantee Ballas would get done for doing exactly the same thing.

Justice in the AFL... LOL! Instead they'll probably find some minor thing to give Fyfe a week for.

Not sure what Regy boy is mentioning, but IMHO the worst one isn't the incident you refer to, it was later in the game. The only telly footage was well after the fact with Crowls hunched over on the ground for well over a minute.

The incident where Wood took Crowls out and Murph got a free was nearly as bad also.

Karma gods came through with flappy Wood's kick at the end though...

Not sure what Regy boy is mentioning, but IMHO the worst one isn't the incident you refer to, it was later in the game. The only telly footage was well after the fact with Crowls hunched over on the ground for well over a minute.

Ok that might be the one Reggie is talking about then. I haven't watched the replay yet.

Back