Crows Best 22 (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll have a go at our best 22 in 4 years time.

B: Brown Talia Kelly
HB: Atkins Lever Wigg
C: Dangerfield M.Crouch Smith
HF: Kerridge Walker Knight
F: Cameron Dear Jenkins/Lowden
R: Jacobs Sloane B.Crouch
I: Grigg Lynch Ramsey Wilson

Don't think current best 22ers like Douglas, Thommo, Betts will be around or at their best at this point in time.
Not sold on Lyons but wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

I'll have a go at our best 22 in 4 years time.

B: Brown Talia Kelly
HB: Atkins Lever Wigg
C: Dangerfield M.Crouch Smith
HF: Kerridge Walker Knight
F: Cameron Dear Jenkins/Lowden
R: Jacobs Sloane B.Crouch
I: Grigg Lynch Ramsey Wilson

Don't think current best 22ers like Douglas, Thommo, Betts will be around or at their best at this point in time.
Not sold on Lyons but wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

We're getting more draft sanctions??? ******* Essendon!!

Not sure why Betts is not being considered he's only 27?

Really? Well I decided to check this and he's 28 and obviously not a whole lot of difference but stupid be was for some reason thinking he was 30...
Far out hahha yeah then I'd have Eddie in my team too

R1, 2015:
FB: Brown Hartigan Cheney
HB: Smith Talia Van Berlo
C: Sloane Thompson Grigg
HF: Lynch Walker Douglas
FF: Betts Jenkins Cameron
R: Jacobs Dangerfield Crouch
Int: Jaensch Kerridge Mackay Henderson

Depth
Utility: Shaw, Ellis-Yolmen, Kelly, Otten (inj.)
Mids: Lyons, Wright, M. Crouch, Martin, Atkins, Knight
Ruck: Lowden, O'Brien, Osborn
Tall Def: Lever, Siggins, Ramsey
Tall Fwd: Podsiadly, Dear, McGovern
Small Def: Reilly, Laird, Wigg
Small Fwd: Wilson

Feeling much better about our depth after the drafts! We seem to have a number of quality options in each position now (although the quality of the ruck back ups remain a bit of an unknown at this stage), and most are still on an upward trajectory in terms of their development which is great to see. Over the next 12 months I think we'd all expect Lever to push his way into that side, first as a 3rd tall defender and then as his body develops - as that 2nd KPD alongside Talia. Most of the depth midfielders and small defenders are ready to go and will no doubt come into the side at various points of the season.

I think with the expected development we're likely to see from the U25's, the foundation of that side should certainly be capable of pushing into finals this year before competing for a flag in 2016 and beyond - particularly if we can add a bit of polish to that group with someone like Aish in next year's offseason as is being rumoured.

Last edited:
AFL.com.au's best 22 for us:

Adelaide
B: Luke Brown, Kyle Hartigan, Kyle Cheney
HB: Brodie Smith, Daniel Talia, Matthew Jaensch
C: David Mackay, Scott Thompson, Rory Sloane
HF: Tom Lynch, Josh Jenkins, Richard Douglas
F: Eddie Betts, Taylor Walker, James Podsiadly
R: Sam Jacobs, Nathan van Berlo, Patrick Dangerfield
I/C: Charlie Cameron, Brad Crouch, Matthew Wright
Sub: Jarryd Lyons

I'm hoping we don't line-up round 1 next year with Thompson and VanBerlo both in the centre square. You'd hope at least one of Crouch or Sloane would be in there.
Apart from the full back line, looks pretty strong though.

Adelaide

I'm hoping we don't line-up round 1 next year with Thompson and VanBerlo both in the centre square. You'd hope at least one of Crouch or Sloane would be in there.
Yeah saw that. M Crouch and Grigg not there according to Harry Thring. I guess the players included that you can swap for them could be Martin and Wright. It will be interesting to see what the differences are come round 1 compared to this 22.

Adelaide

Seems like a rather conservative lineup to me.

Jesper Fjeldstad has us with 7 top shelf players v the power's 13. He rates top shelf as being payers who would get a game at any club. I think he's being a bit generous to the power but nevertheless it does outline how important it is for us for players like Brad Crouch and Jenkins to take the next step this year:

Betts
Jacobs
Danger
Sloane
Walker
Talia
Smith

Lobbe
Ryder
Carlisle
Cornes
Ebert
Boak
Gray
Hartlett
Schulz
Trengove
Westhoff
Wines
Wingard

We do need more top shelf talent. On the plus side, if a couple (most likely Crouch and Jenkins imo) do step up to elite level and then we land someone like Aish we'll be well on the way. Of course, losing Danger would also set us back severely. I really think its crucial for us going forward to be absolutely ruthless in taking our opportunities. Keeping Danger and landing Aish puts us on a whole other level than losing Danger and missing Aish, in which case we'll be making up the numbers for the next 5 years.

The other good thing is that our top shelf players are still young and have a long future ahead of them, whereas players like Cornes and Schulz are close to their use by date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesper Fjeldstad has us with 7 top shelf players v the power's 13. He rates top shelf as being payers who would get a game at any club. I think he's being a bit generous to the power but nevertheless it does outline how important it is for us for players like Brad Crouch and Jenkins to take the next step this year:

Betts
Jacobs
Danger
Sloane
Walker
Talia
Smith

Lobbe
Ryder
Carlisle
Cornes
Ebert
Boak
Gray
Hartlett
Schulz
Trengove
Westhoff
Wines
Wingard

We do need more top shelf talent. On the plus side, if a couple (most likely Crouch and Jenkins imo) do step up to elite level and then we land someone like Aish we'll be well on the way. Of course, losing Danger would also set us back severely. I really think its crucial for us going forward to be absolutely ruthless in taking our opportunities. Keeping Danger and landing Aish puts us on a whole other level than losing Danger and missing Aish, in which case we'll be making up the numbers for the next 5 years.

The other good thing is that our top shelf players are still young and have a long future ahead of them, whereas players like Cornes and Schulz are close to their use by date.
Lol Cornes wouldn't get a game at EVERY club. Half decent tagger, past his use by date.

Some of those players aren't even top shelf. Some of them are vanilla- Westhoff, Schulz, Trengove? Meh. Good but no way top shelf.

Lol Cornes wouldn't get a game at EVERY club. Half decent tagger, past his use by date.

Some of those players aren't even top shelf. Some of them are vanilla- Westhoff, Schulz, Trengove? Meh. Good but no way top shelf.
If Trengove and Westhoff get injured their whole structure is out of whack. They are pretty important. I wouldn't call Schulz vanilla either. I do think the reporter might be getting mixed up with the idea of top shelf. He seems to include pivotal players as well.

Betts
Jacobs
Danger
Sloane
Walker
Talia
Smith

Lobbe
Ryder
Carlisle
Cornes
Ebert
Boak
Gray
Hartlett
Schulz
Trengove
Westhoff
Wines
Wingard

By adding Ryder, Cornes and Wines. We can add Pods, Thompson and Crouch sn.

If Trengove and Westhoff get injured their whole structure is out of whack. They are pretty important. I wouldn't call Schulz vanilla either. I do think the reporter might be getting mixed up with the idea of top shelf. He seems to include pivotal players as well.
They're important because they are key position players, yes. Doesn't mean they are "top shelf" players. Vanilla might be too far but he isn't top shelf forward (despite his goal tally)

They're important because they are key position players, yes. Doesn't mean they are "top shelf" players. Vanilla might be too far but he isn't top shelf forward (despite his goal tally)
I agree not top shelf. More pivotal. On the Bay there's a thread which port pear player would make your first 22. Everyone goes Boak this, Boak that. IMO Trengove would be the one I'd choose for need. The last showdown at AAMI he went into ruck into the last quarter and the rest is history. He would suit us well.

I think you will see Jpod playing round 1. i cant believe nobody has him in the starting side

It'll likely be him or Lynch then. I reckon Walsh will favour running power over height, so the Tex, Pods, JJ & Lynch fwd line will likely be consigned to the dustbin. I'm predicting an extra mid will be rotated through there. But I'm possibly a little biased regarding Pods.

By adding Ryder, Cornes and Wines. We can add Pods, Thompson and Crouch sn.
Pods has never been top shelf, Thommo isn't any more and B Crouch isn't there yet. I agree about Ryder and Cornes but they are still ahead. Anyway, the point isn't that its them per se, the point is that we need more top end talent if we are going to be relevant again.

Betts
Jacobs
Danger
Sloane
Walker
Talia
Smith

Lobbe
Ryder
Carlisle
Cornes
Ebert
Boak
Gray
Hartlett
Schulz
Trengove
Westhoff
Wines
Wingard

Of jesper's list, the gap between the best of port v crows players is not that big. Better key defensive depth with no rutten is the biggest gap. Also, it is the bottom 3rd of players afc need to improve.

Jacobs > lobbe
Dangerfield = boak
Sloane > Cornes
Thompson = wines
Smith = hartlett
B crouch = Ebert
Douglas < Gray

Walker > Schultz
Jenkins < Ryder
lynch < westhoff
Betts = wingard

Talia > carslile
Hartigan << trengrove

Of jesper's list, the gap between the best of port v crows players is not that big. Better key defensive depth with no rutten is the biggest gap. Also, it is the bottom 3rd of players afc need to improve.

Jacobs > lobbe
Dangerfield = boak
Sloane > Cornes
Thompson = wines
Smith = hartlett
B crouch = Ebert
Douglas < Gray

Walker > Schultz
Jenkins < Ryder
lynch < westhoff
Betts = wingard

Talia > carslile
Hartigan << trengrove

Surely more like Talia >>>>> Carlisle??

Westoff not so much now they have Ryder - unless he is suspended ;)

The covered trengrove well with hombsch & Jonas.

We would be in more strife if we lost talia with Otten injured. Tex we have pods as good cover.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back