Crows Best 22 (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Westoff not so much now they have Ryder - unless he is suspended ;)

The covered trengrove well with hombsch & Jonas.

We would be in more strife if we lost talia with Otten injured. Ted we have pods as good cover.
Admittedly they did drop off while Trengrove was out. But they do have better depth back.

Westoff not so much now they have Ryder - unless he is suspended ;)

The covered trengrove well with hombsch & Jonas.

We would be in more strife if we lost talia with Otten injured. Tex we have pods as good cover.

I'd say the exact opposite. Port Adelaide lost most of their games that they were missing Trengrove.

I'd say the exact opposite. Port Adelaide lost most of their games that they were missing Trengrove.
But was that because of hombsch covering trengrove or other injuries & loss of form? Can't recall hombsch not holding his own.

Surely a joke? Yes Hartigan is quite in experienced and what he has shown isn't to the 'quality' of the two Port players but Talia kills either of them, I'd say we'd win that battle slightly.
I'm not joking but yes it is my opinion not fact.

No issue you disagreeing...

Hartigan's improvement will be one if the key factors in afc's success or otherwise next season.

But was that because of hombsch covering trengrove or other injuries & loss of form? Can't recall hombsch not holding his own.

In the 33 games Trengove has suited up for, Port Adelaide’s winning percentage rises to 70 per cent, with 23 wins and 10 losses.

Damningly, when Trengove doesn’t play, the Power’s winning percentage is a dismal 33 per cent (4 from 12)

Seven of the eight losses have been against teams below them on the ladder.

From an Adelaide now article in august about how important Trengove has been during Hinkley's coaching tenure.

Regardless of Hombsch holding is own, that is a damning statistic.

From an Adelaide now article in august about how important Trengove has been during Hinkley's coaching tenure.

Regardless of Hombsch holding is own, that is a damning statistic.
Reckon that is more to do with him being their 2nd ruckman than chb.

Ryder's arrival now makes that less critical...

But yes, he is an important player for them!

I'm not joking but yes it is my opinion not fact.

No issue you disagreeing...

Hartigan's improvement will be one if the key factors in afc's success or otherwise next season.

Let's hope he really comes of age next season, I know he's only been on our list 2-3 years now but he's 23 so time to step up if he ever wants to be a consistent AFL player.

Jesper Fjeldstad has us with 7 top shelf players v the power's 13. He rates top shelf as being payers who would get a game at any club. I think he's being a bit generous to the power but nevertheless it does outline how important it is for us for players like Brad Crouch and Jenkins to take the next step this year:

Betts
Jacobs
Danger
Sloane
Walker
Talia
Smith

Lobbe
Ryder
Carlisle
Cornes
Ebert
Boak
Gray
Hartlett
Schulz
Trengove
Westhoff
Wines
Wingard

We do need more top shelf talent. On the plus side, if a couple (most likely Crouch and Jenkins imo) do step up to elite level and then we land someone like Aish we'll be well on the way. Of course, losing Danger would also set us back severely. I really think its crucial for us going forward to be absolutely ruthless in taking our opportunities. Keeping Danger and landing Aish puts us on a whole other level than losing Danger and missing Aish, in which case we'll be making up the numbers for the next 5 years.

The other good thing is that our top shelf players are still young and have a long future ahead of them, whereas players like Cornes and Schulz are close to their use by date.

Yeah, that list is probably fair...
But...
Cornes on that list is a complete joke.
He hasn't been on that list for probably 5 years. And Thompson absolutely is on the list if he is. And Crouch already is better and he's what? 20 years old? Douglas also should come into consideration if Cornes is there.

Port do have more top end talent though. That's pretty evident. We have 7 absolutely outstanding players and then a major chasm to the next group. With Crouch and maybe Thompson or Douglas sitting somewhere between both groups. Thompson is getting pretty close to falling back to the main group. Douglas is an interesting one, who only seems to play well when we don't.
We probably need our big 7 to become a big 10 for us to take the step we need, and the gap to close between them and the rest. Crouch is the obvious one to join that group. I'm not sure where the next 2 come from. We're hoping Lever is one, but that's a couple years away.
If Jenkins has the improvement that Trengove and Carlisle did this year, he'd be making a case. Lynch, Cameron, Matt Crouch, Jaensch and Kerridge are players that have the potential to push into this category... maybe.

We do have too many 'vanilla' players on our list. Players who will fill a role, but don't really make a difference. Players like Brown, Pods, Reilly, van Berlo, Wright, Mackay, Otten, Laird, Martin, Grigg, Henderson, Hartigan, Lyons (wow... long list). These are the guys that either need to step it up, or need to challenged other players putting pressure on them.

Some positions arent very glamorous so don't get the evaluation they deserve. I would like to know the list of back pockets as effective as luke brown. Sure he might not do the running off and setting up. Yet. But he stops speedy effective forward pockets better than anyone I can think off offhand. Every week the commentators dismiss it as "so and so is having a down day today" - no, they're on a damn tight back pocket. I reckon Luke would go a lot closer to getting a game for every team than a lot of people might think.

I am also trying to think of who might be our next players to be in a position to get a "game for any team".

Crouch might, pretty hard to get into the midfield tho, lot a competition in that area.

Reckon Tom Lynch has got to be probably the closest but actually looks a long way away. Had a shocker of a year this year due to injury and interruption but we saw glimpses, best player or close to it a coupla times. Hope he gets a good run this year, should carve up.

If josh jenkins kicks 50 this year does he qualify? That would be pretty suprising considering how maligned he is on here due to his lack of smarts on occasions.

Brodie Martin - if he goes this season like he ended last he'll give it a nudge. Does most things well, just needs to tidy up disposal and decision making - i think some of this is due to sheer inexperience. Would naturally tidy itself up with more games. Racked up plenty of ball and covered back in defense well at the end of last year. I know most people won't like this call but I reckon from memory he was in the top 7 best the last 5 games he played.

VB, Jaensch, Dougy, Mackay?

Some positions arent very glamorous so don't get the evaluation they deserve. I would like to know the list of back pockets as effective as luke brown. Sure he might not do the running off and setting up. Yet. But he stops speedy effective forward pockets better than anyone I can think off offhand. Every week the commentators dismiss it as "so and so is having a down day today" - no, they're on a damn tight back pocket. I reckon Luke would go a lot closer to getting a game for every team than a lot of people might think.

I am also trying to think of who might be our next players to be in a position to get a "game for any team".

Crouch might, pretty hard to get into the midfield tho, lot a competition in that area.

Reckon Tom Lynch has got to be probably the closest but actually looks a long way away. Had a shocker of a year this year due to injury and interruption but we saw glimpses, best player or close to it a coupla times. Hope he gets a good run this year, should carve up.

If josh jenkins kicks 50 this year does he qualify? That would be pretty suprising considering how maligned he is on here due to his lack of smarts on occasions.

Brodie Martin - if he goes this season like he ended last he'll give it a nudge. Does most things well, just needs to tidy up disposal and decision making - i think some of this is due to sheer inexperience. Would naturally tidy itself up with more games. Racked up plenty of ball and covered back in defense well at the end of last year. I know most people won't like this call but I reckon from memory he was in the top 7 best the last 5 games he played.

VB, Jaensch, Dougy, Mackay?

Couldnt disagree more sorry.
He was a liability in this area many times last year. Gets caught ball watching allowing the oppo t get goal side

He was a liability in this area many times last year. Gets caught ball watching allowing the oppo t get goal side
Another tactic is to use the small forward as a decoy, effectively drawing the defender away from space and leaving your defence one down. I think this has been used against us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, ok if that's what you think, but then can you list for me the better small defenders and which forward pocket players carved him up. I recall him doing well against wingard, ballantyne and walters i reckon, some of the small forwards I really rate, plus there were some more but I cant remember exactly who, I just remember thinking after the games and writing in the good bad ugly threads he'd done well, but I don't remember any getting any betts like hauls of 3 or 4 goals on him.

Another tactic is to use the small forward as a decoy, effectively drawing the defender away from space and leaving your defence one down. I think this has been used against us.
Mate, I think every tactic known to man has been used against us.

Oh how it is good to have a reknowned tactician in our box for once.

Well, ok if that's what you think, but then can you list for me the better small defenders and which forward pocket players carved him up. I recall him doing well against wingard, ballantyne and walters i reckon, some of the small forwards I really rate, plus there were some more but I cant remember exactly who, I just remember thinking after the games and writing in the good bad ugly threads he'd done well, but I don't remember any getting any betts like hauls of 3 or 4 goals on him.

He got murdered by Wingard in Showdown 1. Showdown 2 he was much better yes.
You are testing my memory for the exact moments otherwise i must admit. However i stand by that Luke is pretty good in one on ones but as i said above he is a liabilty in pack situations. He has a tendancy to ball watch and allow the player to then get goal side. Chad did this to him multiple times in Showdown 1.

As for better small defenders. There are a heap i take ahead of him.

guys like Nick Smith, Nick Malceski, Steve Morris, Heath Shaw, Lee Spurr, Corey Enright, Jarrad Harbrow, Grant Birchall, Shaun Burgoyne

You are testing my memory for the exact moments otherwise i must admit. However i stand by that Luke is pretty good in one on ones but as i said above he is a liabilty in pack situations. He has a tendancy to ball watch and allow the player to then get goal side. Chad did this to him multiple times in Showdown 1.

guys like Nick Smith, Nick Malceski, Steve Morris, Heath Shaw, Lee Spurr, Corey Enright, Jarrad Harbrow, Grant Birchall, Shaun Burgoyne
They all are much more experienced than Brown.

Jumping in on this argument, those players are more the HBF and running defender rather than a small defender/back pocket.

You would be comparing the majority of them to B. Smith.

Luke Brown really divides supporters. Personally I think he is tracking well and is an excellent defender. At his days at Norwood he was attacking and has a nice leg but doesn't use it at all well in the AFL.

I have questioned previously if this has been coached out of him to a certain degree. You look at our lock down players and they don't attack whatsoever. Look at Brown, Talia and Kerridge (when he was a tagger) none of them look to get the ball or attack.

I have faith brown will be an improver in 2015.

Our 2 years of sanctions have probably robbed us of some "top shelf players" that otherwise would be already played in the senior side.

Instead we have

Sam siggins
Rory Atkins
Riley Knight

We traded out Bernie to gain Junior.
We traded in Pods for our second pick 63
We gained Eddie but that was outside of the sanctions.

Considering the above we are going ok!

Our 2 years of sanctions have probably robbed us of some "top shelf players" that otherwise would be already played in the senior side.

Instead we have

Sam siggins
Rory Atkins
Riley Knight

We traded out Bernie to gain Junior.
We traded in Pods for our second pick 63
We gained Eddie but that was outside of the sanctions.

Considering the above we are going ok!
Thankfully our recruiting team have done well to maintain a decent squad with 1 hand tied behind their back.

Imo, the sanctions has cost us being amongst the very tip teams though.

All the players you mentioned are far more experienced than Brown, so you are not taking into consideration Brown has more upside.

No player in the Afl avoids having a poor game in a season! Brown's good games >>> poor games which is the key. Compare to Reilly who went backwards out of the team.

I would like him to add more offence but he has become a reliable lock down defender which has been his main role.

Side round 1 2014

B: Brown - Talia - Lever
HB: Smith - Hartigan - Jeansch
C: Sloane - VanBerlo - Douglas
HF: Kerridge - Walker - Cameron
F: Betts - Jenkins - Lynch
R: Jacobs - Danger - Crouch
Int: Crouch - Grigg - Thomson
Sub: Mackay

Remove this Banner Ad

Back