Crows Best 22 (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gets burned by his opponent? More crappy turnovers?

Pretty much. He has all the hallmarks of a B/B+ player that the game has gone past.

Especially with the likes of Cheney, Jaesnch, Henderson, Van Berlo etc fighting for defensive spots, well... his time is up.

Pretty much. He has all the hallmarks of a B/B+ player that the game has gone past.

Especially with the likes of Cheney, Jaesnch, Henderson, Van Berlo etc fighting for defensive spots, well... his time is up.

He doesnt have speed either, he will be bashed if he plays down back now. I can imagine him getting the ball only to be nailed by the small forward.

If a fit in-form Reilly isn't in our best 22 for Round 1, then there has been a massive list management blunder. They know he's past it but they kept him on? I'm not buying it.

Wtf did I just read. This is bordering ridiculous.

Well first of all he's contracted for this year so we have to keep him on unless mutual termination is agreed upon.

There is also a thing called depth which each afl club is required to have if they want to be successful.

As for 'not picking your best players so the youngsters get a chance', that's an insult to your whole club culture, and it will erode the minds of players young and old. It's not on.

Each scenario has its reasons for and against. In this case, Brent Reilly has showed time and time again just how sh*t he really is (bar that period in 2012). He is also now 30 years old and not going to get any better, but most likely to continue to decline from here on in.

There is also the fact that our current list is sitting in a nice healthy and young age bracket, about to peak, where we are statistically predicted to be challengers over the coming years. Brent Reilly WILL NOT be part of that group when the time arrives, nor will Scott Thompson or Pods. There are better and more promising options currently on our list in the likes of Cheney, Hendo, Wigg, Kelly and Lever even. Regardless of whether Reilly is training strongly over the past 1 or 2 weeks or not, Reilly should not be getting a game over the younger players, if the club is serious about where we are heading. If we are wasting game time and experience on someone as ridiculously average as Reilly over one of younger players, I may explode. The only time I see him in the side is because of multiple injuries/poor form, and then only if ALL other possible options have been exhausted.

Calm down big fella.

Apologies for not specifying that his overall stats were closer to Petrenko's stats than Eddie Betts.

Petrenko and Cameron played the same position. They had the same amount of 1%ers, Goal Assists per game, same time on ground. Cameron had Petrenko beat on goals per game (averaging 1.3 to Petrenkos 1), but Petrenko had more tackles per game (5 compared to 3), had more possessions (12.8 to 8.9) and used it better (ED 64.1% to 58.1%).

Understandable, but I think he should be given a lot more credit. Rated elite for F50 ground ball gets. Also averaged same number of F50 tackles and forward half pressure acts as Eddie, both in the elite category also. Kicking left a bit to be desired however, but that doesnt worry me too much just yet coming from a developing small forward.

IMO those stats are extremely promising for a player that has only played 1-2 years of junior footy and was able to record those sorts numbers in his first year while also struggling with groin issues. For so long we have lacked that dominant small forward. We now have Eddie and the future lies with CC. Understandably Petrenko was also one who was very good at applying pressure, but I think its very easy to see that CC has far more ability than Petrenko ever had and has a much brighter future at AFL level.

Bases on the comments i've read, Adelaide doesn't seem to have much depth.

Like most youngish middle table sides.

It's one of those things though, all it takes is 4-5 of those youngsters to just work it out and then depth is no longer an issue.

Bases on the comments i've read, Adelaide doesn't seem to have much depth.
That is a generic comment:
  • KPP defenders - lack depth
  • Small/mid defenders - have depth
  • Ruckmen - Lowden now means we have a backup, but largely untested so suspect
  • Inside midfielders - have depth
  • Outside Midfielders - have a little depth, but not a lot
  • KPP forwards - have depth
  • Small/mid forwards - have a little depth

Predicted team for rd 1.
B. BROWN TALIA CHENEY
Hb. JAENSCH HARTIGAN HENDERSON
C. SLOANE THOMPSON SMITH
Hf. GRIGG WALKER KERRIDGE
F. BETTS JENKINS DOUGLAS
R. JACOBS B.CROUCH DANGERFIELD
Int. LYONS VAN BERLO LYNCH sub. CAMERON

Predicted team for rd 1.
B. BROWN TALIA CHENEY
C. SLOANE THOMPSON SMITH
F. BETTS JENKINS DOUGLAS

Doubt Grigg will jump Mackay through the preseason. Although, I would be most pleased. Walsh does like lefties to change up angles and Grigg does have a bit of a weapon. How would list management look if the new coach doesn't select the 4 year $400k extension man after his best performed (3km wise) preseason yet. Not sure much his injury has set him back though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Predicted team for rd 1.
B. BROWN TALIA CHENEY
C. SLOANE THOMPSON SMITH
F. BETTS JENKINS DOUGLAS
I like seeing his name in a best 22, it makes me really happy because he has tried sooo hard to break into Hawthorns best 22.

Predicted team for rd 1.
B. BROWN TALIA CHENEY
C. SLOANE THOMPSON SMITH
F. BETTS JENKINS DOUGLAS
Good team! The only thing, I would like M Crouch in my side and would have him in at the expense of Lyons.

I would put M Crouch in at the expense of Cameron, i like cameron but M Crouch offers that bit more. Don't know too much about Adelaides team though.

We need Cameron in the side for his explosive pace and great defensive pressure. M Crouch may be struggling fitness wise after being in the moon boot. The interesting thing for me this season is selections, who makes the team, Grigg M Crouch McKay Kerridge Van Berlo Lyons, probably missed some too. Heaps of good players but not a lot of spots.

We need Cameron in the side for his explosive pace and great defensive pressure. M Crouch may be struggling fitness wise after being in the moon boot. The interesting thing for me this season is selections, who makes the team, Grigg M Crouch McKay Kerridge Van Berlo Lyons, probably missed some too. Heaps of good players but not a lot of spots.
Which is a good sign of an improving team.

Doubt Grigg will jump Mackay through the preseason. Although, I would be most pleased. Walsh does like lefties to change up angles and Grigg does have a bit of a weapon. How would list management look if the new coach doesn't select the 4 year $400k extension man after his best performed (3km wise) preseason yet. Not sure much his injury has set him back though.
Hamstring troubles again this preseason and they need more left footers to balance the 22. Walsh wont play anyone if there underdone, griggy primed for a super year.

Bored, so might as well up date my prediction for round 1:

B: Brown - Hartigan - Cheney
HB: Smith - Talia - Jaensch
C: Mackay - Dangerfield - Kerridge
HF: Douglas - Walker - Jenkins
F: Betts - Podsiadly - Cameron
1R: Jacobs - Sloane - B. Crouch
I:van Berlo - Thompson - Grigg
S: Henderson

E: M. Crouch - Lynch - Atkins

Reserves:
B: Kelly - Lever - Ramsay
HB: Reilly - Siggins - Wigg
C: Knight - Lyons - Atkins
HF: Martin - McGovern - Lynch
F: Callinan - Dear - Wright
1R: Lowden - M.Crouch - Laird
I: Wilson, O'Brien, Osborne, Ellis-Yolman

Inj: Otten, Shaw

A few thoughts:
- This is a prediction, not necessarily what I want.
- I'm finding it difficult to seperate whether we'll go Pods or Lynch as the final tall forward. Walker and Jenkins are a given, it's then becomes a question of structure, whether we want the contested marking of Pods at the goal face(not at CHF like he was use last year, that's Walkers job now) with Jenkins as 3rd tall. Or if we move Jenkins to FF and use the hard running Lynch as 3rd tall. At the moment I think we'll lean towards Pods. Especially with Betts and Cameron at his feet.
- Id really like to see M Crouch, Grigg and Atkins become regulars this year. Crouch because, like his brother, wins contests and finds the footy like its no one else's business. Grigg and Atkins because they're a couple of classes above when it comes to disposing of the footy.
- Whilst I think Cheney will start as our 3rd tall, I hope one of Shaw, Lever or Ramsey can push him out to just a medium defender role. Obviously we'd need to shuffle our defense, but I feel like Cheney as 3rd tall is too much of a compromise.
- Thompson shouldn't play more than 15 H&A games. Needs to be kept in tip top shape for if we make finals.
- Smith to rotate with VB and Kerridge to get some midfield time.

Good team! The only thing, I would like M Crouch in my side and would have him in at the expense of Lyons.

Lyons has proven he can have an impact playing as a forward as well, so he makes the team for me. M crouch is a pure midfielder, almost as pure as they come. He may have a lot more potential than grigg and lyons in the long run, but he'd be last in the pecking order based purely on what little versatility he brings to a team that is already chockers with inside midfielder. Until someone like thompson or sloane, maybe even NVB comes out of the side, I'm struggling to put Junior into mine.

Lyons has proven he can have an impact playing as a forward as well, so he makes the team for me. M crouch is a pure midfielder, almost as pure as they come. He may have a lot more potential than grigg and lyons in the long run, but he'd be last in the pecking order based purely on what little versatility he brings to a team that is already chockers with inside midfielder. Until someone like thompson or sloane, maybe even NVB comes out of the side, I'm struggling to put Junior into mine.

He should get games giving thommo a rest and if nvb continues in similar vein to 2013, then he'll shoot past him pretty quickly. Fitness an issue of course with a severely impacted post-Xmas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back