Crows Best 22 (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think VB on a HBF. I think you are right about MacKay, but I think that has been said to the whole list too. No more gold passes under Phil, best player gets the spot in the 22.

I think that's a fairly common thought and a spot where I thought he'd provide the most value. But Walsh definitely referred to concentrating on getting his own ball, so maybe he's referring to that loose role if we run with one. I'm not sure it's the best use of his endurance, which is why I'm leaning towards a wing role based on Walsh's comments.

I just pointed out Kerridge wasn't in the side and as a north supporter, i thought that move was self preservation.

I'm happy to dig up the videos as to why if you want ;)

Actually I'm a neutral supporter :D
Hence the name, but I had to choose a club and most my family barracks for North so I just chose them.
So no preservation ;) But I think I know what you mean, that was a great comeback. I always love watching comebacks
and Kerridge kicked 5 that day I think? So that's made me laugh actually xD

some opportunities for those who take them under the new coach

2016 something like
Brown Talia Cheney
Lever Hartigan Jeansch
Smith BCrouch Henderson
Lyons Walker Lynch
Cameron Jenkins Betts
Jacobs Kerridge MCrouch
Grigg VanBerlo Mackay Atkins

topped with cream from Dangerfield, Sloane, Douglas & Thompson.
where do we need the cream?

Quality midrange defender, tall power marking forward, outside class with a decent hoof, and key possie defender?
does this give us a window in 2017?

what would you be hunting for?
Aish, Cameron, ...

some opportunities for those who take them under the new coach

2016 something like
Brown Talia Cheney
Lever Hartigan Jeansch
Smith BCrouch Henderson
Lyons Walker Lynch
Cameron Jenkins Betts
Jacobs Kerridge MCrouch
Grigg VanBerlo Mackay Atkins

topped with cream from Dangerfield, Sloane, Douglas & Thompson.
where do we need the cream?

Quality midrange defender, tall power marking forward, outside class with a decent hoof, and key possie defender?
does this give us a window in 2017?

what would you be hunting for?
Aish, Cameron, ...

Hopefully Hartigan and Lever continue to develop and reach their potential, (Lever is a really exciting prospect) and Talia is already AA, so then we will have 3 good key position defenders. If not Rance would be ideal, but I can't see him leaving Melbourne.
Adding Aish and Cameron to our list would be incredible, but it's hard to think we would be lucky enough to land both.

F Betts, Jenkins, Douglas
HF Lynch, Walker, Cameron
C Sloane, M. Crouch, Dangerfield
HB VanBerlo, Hartigan, Jaensch
B Brown, Talia, Cheney
1R Jacobs, Smith, B Crouch
INT Grigg, Lyons, McKay EMG. Henderson

Notable omissions: Podsiadly & Thommo - Their age has them as the back ups to those included IMO.
Wright & Mackay - Been around long enough to have shown more. Now just depth IMO.

Brown Hartigan Cheney
Henderson Talia Jaensch
Smith Crouch Sloane
Kerridge Walker Lynch
Betts Jenkins Cameron

Jacobs Danger VB

Lyons, Douglas, Pods : Sub Martin/Grigg/MacKay

Brown Hartigan Cheney
Henderson Talia Jaensch
Smith Crouch Sloane
Kerridge Walker Lynch
Betts Jenkins Cameron

Jacobs Danger VB

Like that team Pete....

For me I would suggest that one of Cheney/Hendo miss and we go with Mackay on that halfback spot. Would have Lyons in the forward pocket, Grigg on the bench and Cameron as the sub.

From yesterday i think it was clear two players we missed were douglas and mackay, i know dmac cops alot on here but with his speed and skills he could be a very big asset this season. The game plan is clearly to use the kick more, so we need dmac roaming through that HB line and hitting up targets, all that yesterday proved is that shouldn't be up to hartigan or talia, let them hit the easy kicks.

Like that team Pete....

For me I would suggest that one of Cheney/Hendo miss and we go with Mackay on that halfback spot. Would have Lyons in the forward pocket, Grigg on the bench and Cameron as the sub.
Cheers - only issues with that feedback are;

Does replacing Hendo with MacKay there leave us too short

Does the Grigg/Cameron swap leave us a bit slow

No issues with where Lyons is named as it looks like he is penciled in for more mid time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like that team Pete....

Nobody puts Charlie in the corner.

Cheers - only issues with that feedback are;

Does replacing Hendo with MacKay there leave us too short

Don't think so. Think one of Cheney/Hendo can do the trick. If we have a rd 1 side which has Talia/Hartigan and Pods we have taller options down back. Can also rotate Smith back there and even VB in a pinch.

Does the Grigg/Cameron swap leave us a bit slow

I don't think so. Not with Betts in the forward line.

No issues with where Lyons is named as it looks like he is penciled in for more mid time

Yeah he will be a definite starter rd 1. Have not had a doubt since he signed a 2 year deal.

Brown Hartigan Cheney
Henderson Talia Jaensch
Smith Crouch Sloane
Kerridge Walker Lynch
Betts Jenkins Cameron

Jacobs Danger VB

Pretty much how I see it too.

I think the midfield will be the big improver. I can see Walsh getting the best out of the guns, and obviously a huge focus on pressure. Makes us a better side straight away.

There will be shades of last year though- no contested marking up forward. I was a little jealous of North's options- Waite, Petrie, Daw, Brown- all can take a clunk. We have no one! Makes me wonder if Dangerfield will spend more time forward as he is probably our best overhead mark.

We are also a bit thin down back. Lever/Ramsay cant develop quick enough. Also wouldnt mind seeing Kelly given a go. One more year for the Jpod as a swingman, much to many posters annoyance. Hartigan shows promise.

Hendo/Lynch give us some points of difference- always bloody injured.

Promising mids in Lyons, Grigg, & M.Crouch, all slow unfortunately. Really wanted to see Atkins/Knight.

Depth-still going to be thin for a couple of seasons. Will find it very hard to cover Sauce, Betts or one of the key backs.

Brown Hartigan Cheney
Henderson Talia Jaensch
Smith Crouch Sloane
Kerridge Walker Lynch
Betts Jenkins Cameron

Jacobs Danger VB

Yeah very similar to mine also, currently stands at

Brown Hartigan Cheney
Jaensch Talia Hendo
Smith Thommo Sloane
Douglas Walker Lynch
Betts Jenkins Kerridge

Jacobs Dandger Crouch

VB, Lyons, ______
Sub: _____ (most likely Cameron)

- Kerridge has pretty much made that last little forward spot his. Id like to have Cameron in the side fulltime, but I think Kerridge has shown how versatile he can be and Walshy seems to love his midfield rotations.
- Last 2 spots are between Grigg/Mackay/Cameron for mine. Laird/ M Crouch/ Wright aren't too far behind.
- I think Cameron is our best sub candidate as he is a real impact player. Like I said, Id love to have him and Betts running wild, but think he can more of an immediate impact than a Grigg/Mackay/CEY even, which is something we have failed to see throughout 2014 and 14 pretty much.

I think the midfield will be the big improver. I can see Walsh getting the best out of the guns, and obviously a huge focus on pressure. Makes us a better side straight away.

Will be interesting to see how we structure up at centre bounces this year. Think we will be much smarter about the strengths and weaknesses of our midfield. We should never have Thommo and Danger at the same bounce.

If I were in charge - here are my two (simple) primary midfield rotations.

Group 1:

Sauce, #1 Danger, #2 Crouch, #3 Van Berlo, #4 Lyons, #5 Mackay, #6 Smith

Group 2:

Sauce, #1 Thompson, #2 Sloane,#3 Kerridge, #4 Douglas, #5 Grigg, #6 Jaensch

I would have the first 3 inside the square at the bounce. Midfielder #1 are our two best clearance players who are both very much - see ball get ball. #2 can win their own ball, but also are competent on the outside. Also very good defensively and are arguably our two best tacklers. Midfielder #3 are the cooler. A bit different under Walsh - these guys will need to also win their own ball, but will be matched on the oppositions best midfielder with the primary goal of killing the contest.

Midfielders #4 & #5 to run in off the wing. #4 should be more attacking and look to get forward of the contest. #5 should look to stay outside of the congestion and be an outside reciever. #6 should come off the back of the square.

These are the players, in no order, who I think are in the mix for less spots than are available for them;

Grigg
Mackay
Martin
VB
M Crouch
Lyons
Maybe Wright

My guess would be that 2-3 of these guys will miss each week (depending on injuries). Will be interesting how quickly players are sent to the 2's if under-performing under the Walsh regime.

These are the players, in no order, who I think are in the mix for less spots than are available for them;

Grigg
Mackay
Martin
VB
M Crouch
Lyons
Maybe Wright

My guess would be that 2-3 of these guys will miss each week (depending on injuries). Will be interesting how quickly players are sent to the 2's if under-performing under the Walsh regime.

It's a good thing I guess.

I love Lyons clearances and he's a must in the middle.
Wright is not in the best 22
VB will be played on the wing or hb
M.Crouch won't play much in 2015 as I suspect he'll play in 2016 when Thompson is retired.
Martin would be a sub
Grigg I would love to see off the half forward or half back where we can utilise his kicking
Mackay i'm 50/50 on.

Pretty much how I see it too.

There will be shades of last year though- no contested marking up forward. I was a little jealous of North's options- Waite, Petrie, Daw, Brown- all can take a clunk. We have no one! Makes me wonder if Dangerfield will spend more time forward as he is probably our best overhead mark.

We are also a bit thin down back. Lever/Ramsay cant develop quick enough. Also wouldnt mind seeing Kelly given a go. One more year for the Jpod as a swingman, much to many posters annoyance. Hartigan shows promise.

Hendo/Lynch give us some points of difference- always bloody injured.

Promising mids in Lyons, Grigg, & M.Crouch, all slow unfortunately. Really wanted to see Atkins/Knight.

Depth-still going to be thin for a couple of seasons. Will find it very hard to cover Sauce, Betts or one of the key backs.
Reckon pods will play round 1 just because they are so tall up forward and we may need him for structure forward and back, it's not ideal but likely necessary. There are plenty of weeks where he won't play , he can still do a job

Remove this Banner Ad

Back