Crows Best 22 (2015 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Does the fact he was been left out of the side today mean that he was dropped or freshened up for round 1?

Just watched the Walsh presser and he said that all 3 of pods, Martin and Jaensch were left out for management reasons and they all performed well and will come under strong consideration for rnd 1.

Its good that if there are no more injuries between now and round 1, some players that we all think are pretty good are going to have to miss out. Some of us or maybe all of us will spew cos some of our favourites are going to miss. Brace yourselves but that will be a good thing. Should be a strong round 1 team.

Its good that if there are no more injuries between now and round 1, some players that we all think are pretty good are going to have to miss out. Some of us or maybe all of us will spew cos some of our favourites are going to miss. Brace yourselves but that will be a good thing. Should be a strong round 1 team.

Assuming Crouch and Thommo out, then there's really only Martin and Jaensch to come back in. The 2 subs miss leaving one other to be omitted if those 2 come back in. I think it will be Grigg, who hasn't quite grabbed his chance. I'm confident the only meltdowns will be about the choice of sub.

I personally want Pods in the round 1 side. Really really hope Martin is nowhere near it. Now we just wait.

See, I'd prefer Pods out and martin in. I'm hoping Brad Crouch will be in and if there are more SANFL trial games next week and M Crouch goes well I'd strongly consider him, so then the question is what happens to Lyons and CEY, I expect Grigg to be out. That also leaves Kerridge, who's another favourite of mine on the outside.

See, told ya, there'll be some spewin somewhere.

See, I'd prefer Pods out and martin in. I'm hoping Brad Crouch will be in and if there are more SANFL trial games next week and M Crouch goes well I'd strongly consider him, so then the question is what happens to Lyons and CEY, I expect Grigg to be out. That also leaves Kerridge, who's another favourite of mine on the outside.

See, told ya, there'll be some spewin somewhere.

When the answer is "Rather Pods out and Martin in" I don't want to hear the question...............:oops:

I personally want Pods in the round 1 side. Really really hope Martin is nowhere near it. Now we just wait.

I just can't see where he fits. If Walker is injured, I'd be more than happy with him at full forward. But he can't replace Jenkins up forward because we won't go in with a single ruckman. Even his most ardent admirers must admit that he's not a particularly good accountable defender and let's face it, he'd get destroyed for mobility if he was playing on the 3rd tall. The only role I can see him playing would be if Hartigan is dropped, which seems to go against Walsh's comments about getting 50 games into him asap. And we simply cannot have 3 of our back 6 (7) taken up with Talia, Hartigan and Pods. Short of an injury to Tex, Talia or Hartigan, I just cannot see where he gets a gig in our best 22. But as you say, we just wait.

I just can't see where he fits. If Walker is injured, I'd be more than happy with him at full forward. But he can't replace Jenkins up forward because we won't go in with a single ruckman. Even his most ardent admirers must admit that he's not a particularly good accountable defender and let's face it, he'd get destroyed for mobility if he was playing on the 3rd tall. The only role I can see him playing would be if Hartigan is dropped, which seems to go against Walsh's comments about getting 50 games into him asap. And we simply cannot have 3 of our back 6 (7) taken up with Talia, Hartigan and Pods. Short of an injury to Tex, Talia or Hartigan, I just cannot see where he gets a gig in our best 22. But as you say, we just wait.
Playing Pods instead of JJ or Hartigan for a full game screams "short term thinking". Not what we need IMO.

B: Henderson - Talia - Brown
HB: Jaensch - Hartigan - Smith
C: VB - Dangerfield - Mackay
HF: Lynch - Walker - Douglas
F: Betts - Jenkins - Cameron
1R: Jacobs - Sloane - Crouch
I: Lyons- Thompson - Kerridge
S: Grigg
E: M Crouch - Laird - Wright

Above is how I had em in October of last year. Think we will go in with the following against North:

B: Cheney - Talia - Brown
F: Betts - Jenkins - Wright
1R: Jacobs - Sloane - Lyons
I: Laird- Pods - Henderson

E: M Crouch - CEY- Cameron - Martin - Ramsey

Inj/Not fit: Thommo/Crouch/Kerridge/Reilly/Atkins/Knight/Otten/Shaw.

Its not a very good team.

Above is how I had em in October of last year. Think we will go in with the following against North:

No CEY?

Kangas certain to play Petrie Brown and Waite, plus roll Goldstein through their forward line...

Talia takes Petrie.
Hartigan prob takes Waite?
That leaves Brown/Goldstein... Oh boy.

Pods has to play IMO, even just to halve a few contests.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or we could just focus on setting up our defence really well and making sure our players are all in the right spots to get across and come third man up to the contest.

Smith, Cheney, Henderson can all go third up.

With such a tall forward line the "defence" as such is going to come from our midfield pressure and intercept game, not the 1v1 contests.

I still have no idea who is going to be selected as our 2nd KPD for R1. JPod is a capable defender, when he's allowed to roam free without any accountability. Unfortunately, things get downright ugly when he does get held accountable, as is often the case for a 2nd KPD. Hartigan simply hasn't impressed since those first few games he played back in 2013. I haven't given up hope that he'll make it, but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation. Lever is simply too young, inexperienced and needs a lot more development before he's ready for the big time. He's our best long term prospect, but he's not a short term option. As far as I'm concerned the decision between JPod & Hartigan could come down to a toss of the coin - we're not talking "best option" here, but "least worst option".

Unlike many on this board, I think Thompson will play in R1. I know he's in a race to be fit and hasn't played a single game in the pre-season, but I think the selectors regard him as critical to the team. If he's fit enough to play in R1, then I strongly suspect that he'll be lining up in the AFL. The odds of him playing any SANFL footy would be very long indeed, at least at the start of the season anyway.

I'm also hoping that Kerridge will have recovered from his hamstring injury in time to play in R1.

Crouch's injury is a real nuisance, particularly if Thompson isn't good to go for R1. On the flipside, it does create an opportunity for one of the fringe players (Lyons, CEY, M Crouch) to push their case.

Here's my suggested R1 team..
FB: Cheney Talia Brown
HB: Jaensch JPod VB
C: Smith Dangerfield Mackay
HF: Douglas Walker Lynch
FF: Betts Jenkins Wright
R: Jacobs Sloane Thompson
Int: Kerridge Lyons Laird, (sub) Henderson
Emg: Grigg CEY M Crouch Hartigan

Inj/Not fit: Crouch/Reilly/Atkins/Knight/Otten/Shaw.

I still have no idea who is going to be selected as our 2nd KPD for R1. JPod is a capable defender, when he's allowed to roam free without any accountability. Unfortunately, things get downright ugly when he does get held accountable, as is often the case for a 2nd KPD. Hartigan simply hasn't impressed since those first few games he played back in 2013. I haven't given up hope that he'll make it, but I'm not holding my breath in anticipation. Lever is simply too young, inexperienced and needs a lot more development before he's ready for the big time. He's our best long term prospect, but he's not a short term option. As far as I'm concerned the decision between JPod & Hartigan could come down to a toss of the coin - we're not talking "best option" here, but "least worst option".

Definitely a fair comment, but i can't see PW leaving Hartigan out as he's stated he wants to pump games into him. That said, i'd also rather the younger option than the older one when the choice is "who will be less s**t".

Definitely a fair comment, but i can't see PW leaving Hartigan out as he's stated he wants to pump games into him. That said, i'd also rather the younger option than the older one when the choice is "who will be less s**t".
I see them as being equally bad defensive options. At least JPod offers something in the way of flexibility, with his ability to play as a Key Forward.

I understand where you're coming from, going with the younger player given that there's no significant qualitative difference between them as defenders. I know PW said he wanted to get games into Hartigan ASAP, but he's not going to select him if he's simply not performing well enough to be selected - and that's where I see Hartigan right now.

I see them as being equally bad defensive options. At least JPod offers something in the way of flexibility, with his ability to play as a Key Forward.

I understand where you're coming from, going with the younger player given that there's no significant qualitative difference between them as defenders. I know PW said he wanted to get games into Hartigan ASAP, but he's not going to select him if he's simply not performing well enough to be selected - and that's where I see Hartigan right now.
Hartigan is a true defender, Pods can play loose man and swing forward. Hartigan has more experience and played more games as a defender than Pods. Hartigan is a definite, Pods a possible for Round 1.

We'll just leave LT on him. He'll learn from the experience said noone ever.
Our list management team, footy Manager & roo also learnt from the experience… no more lt & Sando ;)

I don't think that 34yo forwards that have proven to fail at being accountable defenders will get a gig amongst the frenetic rotations that is req'd of the bench.

So Pods is out, unless Hartigan is playing 2's. Mackay will be sub off a restricted preseason with Martin taking that wing rotation. Grigg has done nothing even close to CEY, so he's in as well.

Sub will be the under-performed Mackay, who will have the opportunity to roll in and show his elite speed and elite disposal. Sadly for 400Mac, he actually has neither.

surely not. Jensch has to play. I think he was rested today

Jaensch is over-rated. He has the classic defenders switch sideways kicking system. When he does gain ground it's from a kick-in whete he kicks yo himself, gets a free posession, and pounds long to the RHS boundry side. That is an effective kick. If he hadn't daisy'd to himself, he wouldn't have gained a stat. Although the end result wouldn't gave changed.

Jaensch is not a premiership kick innerer or HBF. Guys like Laird, they're the blokes that win flags in the back half with their sheer competitiveness.

Jaensch is over-rated. He has the classic defenders switch sideways kicking system. When he does gain ground it's from a kick-in whete he kicks yo himself, gets a free posession, and pounds long to the RHS boundry side. That is an effective kick. If he hadn't daisy'd to himself, he wouldn't have gained a stat. Although the end result wouldn't gave changed.

Jaensch is not a premiership kick innerer or HBF. Guys like Laird, they're the blokes that win flags in the back half with their sheer competitiveness.
Mj has more class than Laird. Both have their faults & hardly scream Luke Hodge.

was Aaron Keating a premiership ruckman?

I know PW said he wanted to get games into Hartigan ASAP, but he's not going to select him if he's simply not performing well enough to be selected - and that's where I see Hartigan right now.

Tough on Hartigan. Didn't do a whole lot wrong v Port. Posted in another thread that of Butcher's 5 goals, a grand total of zero were kicked on Kyle.

Clark was a bit big and good for him, and he had a pretty even battle with Waite in NAB1.

I reckon Talia gets Petrie, Hartigan gets Waite and Pods gets Brown (but is left out when our opponents don't have 3 monsters in the forward line).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back