Mega Thread Crows Media

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
Here you go... :)

"This group was 1 win away from finals 2 years in a row". Classic Sando. Winning should not have been our priority, improving as a group was the priority. When will he understand this? We didn't deserve to play finals because we were inconsistent, (quoting sando) "dropped 1 or 2 close games", shouldn't change anything, we are still playing the same brand of inconsistent footy. This is winning mentality 101.

Heafy83

Premiership Player
May 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts, Liverpool, Bulls
anyone have the 'on the couch' video with walsh from last night?

treeman

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
I just read one of McDermott's articles.

I can't believe his incredibly short sentences and short paragraphs! Seriously! Even the comments underneath are complaining about them.

A lot can change in one season of football, writes Chris McDermott

NEW coach, new game style, brings

improved results.

It’s never that simple.

But tweaks in ball movement and changes in philosophies from one coach to another can have an immediate impact.

The reverse can also apply.

Same coach, same game style, declining results.

The new voice at West Lakes has created a new hunger. The same voice at Alberton is being challenged to restore theirs.

That’s the art of coaching.

As Mick Malthouse is discovering at Carlton and Rodney Eade at the Gold Coast, it’s rarely easy. Some would say, never!

Season 2015 may be only two games old but changes to the “ Crows Way” have had an immediate impact while some unforeseen problems in the Power’s tried and true method are in need of urgent attention.

The season passes very quickly. A poor start can turn into a mountain too big to climb. Sometimes the stats lie. Sometimes they don’t.

In the opening matches of this season they are speaking the truth to both clubs.

In 2014 the Crows struggled for clear stoppage wins despite silver service from Sam Jacobs.

Then 12 months later the service is still silver but the success rate is much better.

Richard Douglas, Patrick Dangerfield and Rory Sloane are cashing in and the Crows have jumped to third in the clearance count from a low of 10th last season.

The centre square is where their improvement has been greatest and despite the absence of Scott Thompson the Crows are the No. 1 ranked team for centre clearances.

It has often been a strength. It is now a serious weapon.

Centre square dominance equates to more ball inside your attacking 50m arc.

No surprises here.

The Crows are No. 1 for inside 50s. It doesn’t win you games of footy but it doesn’t hurt.

The Power proved last weekend against Sydney more inside 50s doesn’t necessarily mean more goals. The Power’s key forwards proved largely ineffective against the Swans.

In complete contrast, the Crows forwards are relishing the supply.

Despite the absence of the J-Pod, no club marks the ball inside 50 more than the Crows.

In 2014 they ranked 11th despite playing with three talls.

Walsh has got the balance perfect with a couple of minor changes in personnel.

Slight improvements can create big differences. The adjustments to the Crows’ stoppage work improves the amount of ball to the forwards.

As a result they are taking more marks inside 50 and the beauty is they are finishing off their work.

The Crows are now the sixth most accurate team in the game compared to a lowly 16th last year. All the KPI’s are moving in the right direction.

The pressure is still to come. These are early days.

Phil Walsh promised strong defence when he came to West Lakes. He did not lie.

The Crows were far from frenetic tacklers and ranked second last in 2014.

They are eighth with an arrow this year.

It indicates a team on the edge. A hungry team.

The Power story makes for similar fascinating reading but for different reasons.

What is working for the Crows is failing for the Power.

The proof is impossible to deny. Matthew Lobbe is the missing link. That’s stating the obvious. He looks likely to miss another week and against the Kangaroos and their giant Todd Goldstein that’s not good news.

The Crows have improved their stoppage work and the results are coming.

The Power’s numbers have declined significantly and the losses are following.

The Power ranked second in those stats last year but have slumped to 14th in total clearances and 17th from the centre square in the first two rounds.

No Lobbe, no hit outs either. The decline in this area has been almost 40 percent.

Roving to losing rucks is difficult and tweaks must be made now. The consequences are severe.

The Power’s inside 50 numbers have slumped from second to 10th. Their marks inside 50 have crashed from first to ninth and their accuracy on goal has dropped from 10th to 17th.

Defensively, few harassed the opposition as well as the Power in 2014.

Like men possessed, they hunted their enemy and tackled them in big numbers. That ferocity has also vanished, from second best to middle of the road.

The clock is ticking for the Power. Another loss with Hawthorn and the Showdown to follow could prove fatal to any Premiership dream.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-chris-mcdermott/story-fnia3m7u-1227303669999

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
I just read one of McDermott's articles.

I can't believe his incredibly short sentences and short paragraphs! Seriously! Even the comments underneath are complaining about them.

A lot can change in one season of football, writes Chris McDermott

NEW coach, new game style, brings

improved results.

It’s never that simple.

But tweaks in ball movement and changes in philosophies from one coach to another can have an immediate impact.

The reverse can also apply.

Same coach, same game style, declining results.

The new voice at West Lakes has created a new hunger. The same voice at Alberton is being challenged to restore theirs.

That’s the art of coaching.

As Mick Malthouse is discovering at Carlton and Rodney Eade at the Gold Coast, it’s rarely easy. Some would say, never!

Season 2015 may be only two games old but changes to the “ Crows Way” have had an immediate impact while some unforeseen problems in the Power’s tried and true method are in need of urgent attention.

The season passes very quickly. A poor start can turn into a mountain too big to climb. Sometimes the stats lie. Sometimes they don’t.

In the opening matches of this season they are speaking the truth to both clubs.

In 2014 the Crows struggled for clear stoppage wins despite silver service from Sam Jacobs.

Then 12 months later the service is still silver but the success rate is much better.

Richard Douglas, Patrick Dangerfield and Rory Sloane are cashing in and the Crows have jumped to third in the clearance count from a low of 10th last season.

The centre square is where their improvement has been greatest and despite the absence of Scott Thompson the Crows are the No. 1 ranked team for centre clearances.

It has often been a strength. It is now a serious weapon.

Centre square dominance equates to more ball inside your attacking 50m arc.

No surprises here.

The Crows are No. 1 for inside 50s. It doesn’t win you games of footy but it doesn’t hurt.

The Power proved last weekend against Sydney more inside 50s doesn’t necessarily mean more goals. The Power’s key forwards proved largely ineffective against the Swans.

In complete contrast, the Crows forwards are relishing the supply.

Despite the absence of the J-Pod, no club marks the ball inside 50 more than the Crows.

In 2014 they ranked 11th despite playing with three talls.

Walsh has got the balance perfect with a couple of minor changes in personnel.

Slight improvements can create big differences. The adjustments to the Crows’ stoppage work improves the amount of ball to the forwards.

As a result they are taking more marks inside 50 and the beauty is they are finishing off their work.

The Crows are now the sixth most accurate team in the game compared to a lowly 16th last year. All the KPI’s are moving in the right direction.

The pressure is still to come. These are early days.

Phil Walsh promised strong defence when he came to West Lakes. He did not lie.

The Crows were far from frenetic tacklers and ranked second last in 2014.

They are eighth with an arrow this year.

It indicates a team on the edge. A hungry team.

The Power story makes for similar fascinating reading but for different reasons.

What is working for the Crows is failing for the Power.

The proof is impossible to deny. Matthew Lobbe is the missing link. That’s stating the obvious. He looks likely to miss another week and against the Kangaroos and their giant Todd Goldstein that’s not good news.

The Crows have improved their stoppage work and the results are coming.

The Power’s numbers have declined significantly and the losses are following.

The Power ranked second in those stats last year but have slumped to 14th in total clearances and 17th from the centre square in the first two rounds.

No Lobbe, no hit outs either. The decline in this area has been almost 40 percent.

Roving to losing rucks is difficult and tweaks must be made now. The consequences are severe.

The Power’s inside 50 numbers have slumped from second to 10th. Their marks inside 50 have crashed from first to ninth and their accuracy on goal has dropped from 10th to 17th.

Defensively, few harassed the opposition as well as the Power in 2014.

Like men possessed, they hunted their enemy and tackled them in big numbers. That ferocity has also vanished, from second best to middle of the road.

The clock is ticking for the Power. Another loss with Hawthorn and the Showdown to follow could prove fatal to any Premiership dream.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-chris-mcdermott/story-fnia3m7u-1227303669999

The Advertiser is certainly not The Age. I heard once it's edited so that its reading level is about that of a ten-year-old.

May 26, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
The editor and writer in me is completely cringing reading that. I stopped as I really wanted to get the red pen of death out and scribble all over the screen.
Hell yes. Articles with one sentence paragraphs all the way through it. Bleurgh. If he doesn't have a ghost writer, he needs to get one. If he does, he needs to get a new one.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
"This group was 1 win away from finals 2 years in a row". Classic Sando. Winning should not have been our priority, improving as a group was the priority. When will he understand this? We didn't deserve to play finals because we were inconsistent, (quoting sando) "dropped 1 or 2 close games", shouldn't change anything, we are still playing the same brand of inconsistent footy. This is winning mentality 101.

I don't think it was Sando per se, it reeks of the the Trigg/Craig ethos. I think this was indoctrinated into Sando once he arrived at the club.

The rest I agree with, the club previously had an unhealthy obsession with chasing medicority and all involved had seemingly lost sight of how to win a premiership. I think there has been paradigm shift in club mentality since the arrival of Roo and especially now with Walsh at the helm.

Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
I don't think it was Sando per se, it reeks of the the Trigg/Craig ethos. I think this was indoctrinated into Sando once he arrived at the club.

The rest I agree with, the club previously had an unhealthy obsession with chasing medicority and all involved had seemingly lost sight of how to win a premiership. I think there has been paradigm shift in club mentality since the arrival of Roo and especially now with Walsh at the helm.
I agree with your last paragraph. I don't think it was indoctrinated into Sanderson. I think we went with the Geelong model of game and it didn't work and for numerous reasons post his departure it couldn't happen. It wasn't all his fault. It was a perfect storm of crap that eventuated in his first year.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is it true that Rowe said Vince went to Melbourne for more money?
By the way this is a genuine question.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Port Adelaide - Nathan Krakouer Player Sponsor 2015 Port Adelaide - Brendon AhChee Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Jarrad Redden Player Sponsor 2014 Port Adelaide - Matthew Broadbent Player Sponsor 2013 Port Adelaide - Foundation Sponsor Port Adelaide - Captains Club 2012 Sponsor Port Adelaide - John Butcher 2012 Player Sponsor
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No he said he went to Melbourne for a bigger contract. Which is technically true because we only were offering 1 year and he got 2 or 3 from Melbourne. We forced him out.
It isn't technically it any other true.

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

*PAF

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not true in any which way shape or form for being the reason he left the Crows.

TrainRoo32

Premiership Player
Sep 17, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVERPOOOL
Not true in any which way shape or form for being the reason he left the Crows.
He was basically pushed out mate, we couldn't guarantee him anymore than the year that was left on his contract.
Personally was very sad to let him go, as he was a genuine club man and B&F winner, but we had to get back into the draft somehow. unfortunately even with hindsight I would still back the club to make the same decision.
Having said that, Bernie is making more than he would ever have here and can prolong his career a little longer than what would have been possible.

Back