2nds Crows vs Port Adelaide - Round 7 @ Balaklava

Remove this Banner Ad

But you never really like what you see from Port Adelaide mate, your always complaining about something and it's really old quite frankly.

Well if that's not generalising then it is a fib. The first half we were playing in patches and quite right to note that it wasn't good to see. If you're happy with patches of good play and patches of poor turnover/defence then good for you but not good enough for the club.

Second half effort was great. Once the teams clicks into gear they just go. Nice

Good and bad. Shaw has ability but reminds me of D Stewart's endeavour and Butcher ... I'm convinced he worries about his kicking through every match. Both have ability but there issues appear to be their hindrances.

Ouch that daniel stewart comapirson. Id hate to say it but what if hes not putting in any effort just coz he wants to get traded at the end of the year.

Austin sounds a player though, trading clurey hmmmm

Well if that's not generalising then it is a fib. The first half we were playing in patches and quite right to note that it wasn't good to see. If you're happy with patches of good play and patches of poor turnover/defence then good for you but not good enough for the club.

Look at the age profile pal that's what happens and it's quite normal.

Ouch that daniel stewart comapirson. Id hate to say it but what if hes not putting in any effort just coz he wants to get traded at the end of the year.

Austin sounds a player though, trading clurey hmmmm

Yes it is harsh. He is better though. I hope he doesn't want to leave still because he's still got something to work with.

Look at the age profile pal that's what happens and it's quite normal.

Pal? Do you want some biffo too? Are you going to call me outside or something?

Of course we're young, mainly as it should be to feed the afl side but also a bit of sanlf design to keep us away from flag contenders as much as they can. If you watch the Maggies weekly you would recognise characteristics of positives and negatives with the afl side as well. So it is still proper to expect the negatives to be improved.

We need to iron out the problems we have when teams do the forward press on us or when we start third quarters and concede goals.

I thought the overall game was solid after a slow first quarter. We opened into up in the fourth term when our AFL listed players started getting stuck in. I know what you are saying PA88, that the teams weaknesses, kick ins against the press, composure with the ball, goal kicking and hitting targets in open play, need to be improved. The excuses of youth and development are valid, but it is equally valid to expect improvement.

Pal? Do you want some biffo too? Are you going to call me outside or something?

Of course we're young, mainly as it should be to feed the afl side but also a bit of sanlf design to keep us away from flag contenders as much as they can. If you watch the Maggies weekly you would recognise characteristics of positives and negatives with the afl side as well. So it is still proper to expect the negatives to be improved.

We need to iron out the problems we have when teams do the forward press on us or when we start third quarters and concede goals.

I actually think you might be insane. Do you realise how mental you sound in that first paragraph.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, what was the final score guys?
blank.gif

Full Time
blank.gif
Q Ade PORT
blank.gif

Adelaide SANFL 15.9 99
blank.gif

Port Adelaide Magpies 20.14 134
blank.gif

Defence: thought they were solid and rebounded well. Leaked some goals and allowed the Crows forwards too much space in the first half, particularly when they transitioned quickly. Austin was excellent and is showing some AFL potential. Those two goals were excellent and it is great that he is relied upon for quick ins. Clurey was workman like as was Logan. DBJ was good and is progressing well. Russell was quiet. Stewart was excellent in the sweeper role and it is a good way to utilise his skills and experience. Redden and Shaw dropping back in the hole worked well in the second half and prevented those big marks that killed us early.

Midfield: the effort was there but gees there was some pedestrian disposal early on and Moore and Young just didn't kill it as we would have hoped or expected. Perhaps this is harsh on them as they finished well and their numbers were good. Ah Chee looked like an AFL player but was reasonably well held, he is really giving himself every chance of a contract extension. Redden was slow and well beaten but is still building fitness and form. Our set ups were good and our first use was excellent.

Forward: Hmmm. Well our talls were disappointing but smalls were excellent. Wagner's effort was good and two goals was a good return. Neade lifted well in the second half and kicked well for goals.

General thoughts:
1) Harvey has great skills and a reliable kick but looks slow and unfit at SANFL level, will he have the athleticism to play AFL?
2) How will we fit Redden, Frampton, Shaw, Butcher, Clurey, Austin and Howard in the one side? Gees we will be slow!
3) Why are Young, Moore, Clurey, Shaw and Butcher not grabbing these opportunities? These are the chances to say I am AFL worthy and ready, give me a shot!
4) Ruck depth is a concern! Who knows if Redden will show enough form or fitness to step up if needed. Frampton is yet to play and our other two rucks are currently on the park.

Went along to watch our Afl ressies today , even though I said I wouldn't . Gee I know the Crows supporters are piss weak quiet all the time , but , its was the quietest game with the least passion shown by Port supporters ive ever been to .

Spot on

While we will gladly take the win , it wasn't really convincing , some blokes did o'k' I thought . Nead after the long break and Clurry especially early when we were already 5 goals down (should/could of easily been 6/7 ) , not sure about Young though . If one looks at it realistically and say brought over a footy follower from say WA, someone who didn't know who played for who and told em it was an Sanfl game and pick out Afl listed players from both clubs , guys that have been in the system 2,3,4 years , I betcha they couldn't.

GOALS
Neade, Palmer 3, Austin, Gray, Wagner, Harvey 2, Byrne-Jones, Logan, Moore, Redden, Stewart, Young

PORTADELAIDEFC.COM.AU’S BESTStewart, Summerton, Ah Chee, Gray, Byrne-Jones,

While we will gladly take the win , it wasn't really convincing , some blokes did o'k' I thought . Nead after the long break and Clurry especially early when we were already 5 goals down (should/could of easily been 6/7 ) , not sure about Young though . If one looks at it realistically and say brought over a footy follower from say WA, someone who didn't know who played for who and told em it was an Sanfl game and pick out Afl listed players from both clubs , guys that have been in the system 2,3,4 years , I betcha they couldn't.
Watching the AFL game makes the Magpies win a most convincing in comparison.
As per your hypothesis, I'd say an WA supporter would select Summo as an AFL player.

Watching the AFL game makes the Magpies win a most convincing in comparison.
As per your hypothesis, I'd say an WA supporter would select Summo as an AFL player.
Agree , I heard Kenny saying ,Ahchee was playing ressies at the Maggies , couldn't get an A grade game after being on the list for a couple of years , well ill tell ya what , I watched him , he didn't deserve to ! . At the end of Choco's reign the same happened , blokes that played very poorly at the Maggies got a promotion regardless , and he and we ( club ) payed the price . Like I said , very happy we persisted and got up , our Afl blokes went missing for large parts of the game , also consider the opposition , how many and who have they won against ?.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back