Opinion Culture Chat

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately it seems that GCS are hitting the headlines for what their players are doing which is no doubt happening throughout many other clubs.

It's unfortunate that AFL players though cannot see the opportunity given to them. Their not allowed to do certain things through a season or career so their employer can get the best out of them.

I'm sure if any of us were given the opportunity to pull on an AFL Guernsey and play on some iconic grounds we all would and sacrifice certain things.

I hope GCS can get rid of the trouble and build on the chances and investments they've received and finally have a Gold Coast team of any code survive and be strong.

So based on the vague recollections of Hunt who needed to come up with something to avoid jail, save his $2 million a year deal and have serious charges dropped, 12 are all drug users because they were at various venues with him. Yep some boys probably took coke, but to claim it's systemic and rife is a bit dramatic.

If any player leaves because of the substance issue at our club, he may want to take up lawn bowls. He'll be disappointed when he arrives at any other footy club.

i can see how it looks like / could very well be a naive idea, but if the player wants to make a clean break, start fresh, then i see no issue with this. i do think there are clubs that probably not too much better than GC, but I'm sure there are clubs that would be really beneficial to this kind of players needs.
having spent a hell of a lot of time on the gold coast, drugs are a massive, massive issue, and I'm referring to the city itself's culture, not just the football club.

on a side note, there needs to be better education of these guys, they're thrown into the system, on more money than they know what to do with, and they can't drink, because it kills they're skinny's and their ability to maintain fitness, they have outside influences, celebrity etc, i get it. the afl needs to step up here, the game is starting to have a massive image issue, again...

hey guys. as you all know this is a public forum. in the past, a few suns players have been known to browse this forum, and one can only assume some of their family members do occasionally too (eg. mark gorringe last year).

discussing these recent events and listing who was on the golf trip is fine for now, as i'm sure many have already figured it out (it has even been discussed on news outlets and such). but nothing more than that please. no trying to pinpoint who was "using" and who wasn't. same goes for the rest of hunt's claims. any guesses on who's involved won't be tolerated.

hey guys. as you all know this is a public forum. in the past, a few suns players have been known to browse this forum, and one can only assume some of their family members do occasionally too (eg. mark gorringe last year).

discussing these recent events and listing who was on the golf trip is fine for now, as i'm sure many have already figured it out (it has even been discussed on news outlets and such). but nothing more than that please. no trying to pinpoint who was "using" and who wasn't. same goes for the rest of hunt's claims. any guesses on who's involved won't be tolerated.

also, spoke with slimdusty4. his post earlier up the page is credible.

thanks ex, i don't take pleasure in any of this obviously, friends of mine are closely involved with the club, and i know a lot of people there, if it was my club, id want to know whats happening, but to be respectful too.
glad you took the time to listen, and didn't chase me out of town. :thumbsu:

Lads I don't think he is here to stir the pot and I think this is legit info. Fair enough too, thanks for the heads up slimdusty4 .

Let's hope it gets better soon.
not my style, haha, especially when I've spent so much time in and around the club, easily my second team, and I'm not here to kick you when your down, but as i said, if it was my club, id want to know. thanks kreglze. :thumbsu:

You know what Oscar Wilde said
There's only one thing worse than being talked about....;)
Yeah, but didn't Oscar Wilde try to sue somebody for libel?

edit: am I the only person who thinks this "God Squad" vs Booze Hounds divide is dumb? sounds like the media is making up random crap, or twisting things in a way to make it sound a lot more dramatic than it really is. "God Squad"? Really? ...hopefully they didn't get that moniker from somebody part of the club... lol

Last edited:
i can see how it looks like / could very well be a naive idea, but if the player wants to make a clean break, start fresh, then i see no issue with this. i do think there are clubs that probably not too much better than GC, but I'm sure there are clubs that would be really beneficial to this kind of players needs.
having spent a hell of a lot of time on the gold coast, drugs are a massive, massive issue, and I'm referring to the city itself's culture, not just the football club.

on a side note, there needs to be better education of these guys, they're thrown into the system, on more money than they know what to do with, and they can't drink, because it kills they're skinny's and their ability to maintain fitness, they have outside influences, celebrity etc, i get it. the afl needs to step up here, the game is starting to have a massive image issue, again...

Can't let this comment slide. This massive drug issue on the Gold Coast is no worse than any other Australian city. How do I know this - A close old friend of mine worked plain clothes for the Broadbeach CIB through the clubs in Surfers (used to be great for getting free entry and drinks), and I used to know quite a few of his mates who worked undercover. Other cops from interstate used to come up here for conferences etc. and naturally would compare notes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree. One of them seemed to even agree with the common thought here, that being that it's a bit of a blow up. Said the same thing would be happening at all other clubs in the off-season.

One seemed a bit bent out of shape, but he could barely string a coherent sentence together. The other calmly said it wasn't 'acceptable', but just a plain fact of todays youth.
Sorry, ballistic probably wasn't right word. I meant it was a getting quite heated, especially for those guys.

Can't let this comment slide. This massive drug issue on the Gold Coast is no worse than any other Australian city. How do I know this - A close old friend of mine worked plain clothes for the Broadbeach CIB through the clubs in Surfers (used to be great for getting free entry and drinks), and I used to know quite a few of his mates who worked undercover. Other cops from interstate used to come up here for conferences etc. and naturally would compare notes.

when i say a fair bit of time, i lived on the goldy, and worked in a bar there, and I've lived in melbourne most of my life. the reason i say what i said, was that i saw a lot more 18-19 year olds doing drugs, on the coast, cocaine seemed to be a hell of a lot easier to come by, and it was cheaper, than melbourne.

considering its such a "small town" this was astonishing. couldn't believe how many people were openly taking coke, and talking about it.
that was the big thing, down here people are quite hush hush, but up there, it was no big deal, it is in vogue.

when i say a fair bit of time, i lived on the goldy, and worked in a bar there, and I've lived in melbourne most of my life. the reason i say what i said, was that i saw a lot more 18-19 year olds doing drugs, on the coast, cocaine seemed to be a hell of a lot easier to come by, and it was cheaper, than melbourne.

considering its such a "small town" this was astonishing. couldn't believe how many people were openly taking coke, and talking about it.
that was the big thing, down here people are quite hush hush, but up there, it was no big deal, it is in vogue.
Nah that's just Queenslanders in general. They're much more laid back than people from Sydney or Melbourne.

So where is this earth shattering article that Robbo has promised us?
Here: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...an-embarrassment/story-fnp04d70-1227420607733

It's a bit of a media beat-up.

We're so ravaged by injury that sliding down the ladder is really no surprise. We've basically been siding a magoos side for most of the year.

I think people are getting ahead of themselves with GWS. GWS have lost Mumford and that's a very, very big Out for them (would've been my pick for All-Australian ruckman this year), and making the Top Eight for them will be a lot harder now. I am not convinced that GWS will make the Top Eight just yet, although their still up for contention. I am unsure how much they will drop off without Mumford. Their gettable wins will be against St Kilda, the Suns, the Lions, Carlton, and Melbourne (5). Contentious games will be against Geelong, Essendon, and Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval (3). Potential upsets are against Richmond, the Dockers, and Sydney (3). I think they'll need at least six more wins from that draw to make the Top Eight.

Here: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...an-embarrassment/story-fnp04d70-1227420607733

It's a bit of a media beat-up.

We're so ravaged by injury that sliding down the ladder is really no surprise. We've basically been siding a magoos side for most of the year.

I think people are getting ahead of themselves with GWS. GWS have lost Mumford and that's a very, very big Out for them (would've been my pick for All-Australian ruckman this year), and making the Top Eight for them will be a lot harder now. I am not convinced that GWS will make the Top Eight just yet, although their still up for contention. I am unsure how much they will drop off without Mumford. Their gettable wins will be against St Kilda, the Suns, the Lions, Carlton, and Melbourne (5). Contentious games will be against Geelong, Essendon, and Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval (3). Potential upsets are against Richmond, the Dockers, and Sydney (3). I think they'll need at least six more wins from that draw to make the Top Eight.

having said that didn't the magoos win on the weekend? i went and watched them just about every week last year, provided it was within an hour or so of the goldy. and that was tough to watch, was that their first win for the year?

on gws, i wouldn't worry, they aren't making it, i picked them to at the start of the year, but the injury toll has killed them, thinking a solid 10-12 season is probably the end result.

The AFL need to go through GCS management with a big broom - they are weak as piss.

From what I read it sounds like that when Hunt got charged they just put all the guys in a room and asked for a show of hands of who did drugs with him.

Talk about amateur hour. That is the environment you ask a question if you want to expedite any sort of due process, get no real answers, alienate players who want to disclose from those that don't and sweep the issue under the carpet. Surely you afford every player on the list some degree of confidentiality by asking these questions in a one-on-one setting so that they can provide an honest answer to really tough questions.

Now management have created a pretty poor situation where the bigger issue, as far as I'm concerned anyway, is that some of the players have effectively lied to/mislead management, as opposed to the taking of illicit drugs on their time off. This is where I see the real culture issue in that people at the club are not being honest with each other.

I would be pretty confident that if management had gone about it the right way from the start and actually wanted to know the truth, approached players one-on-one, they would have had a better chance of getting honest responses and having put this resolved and dealt with within the club, without having to be so reactionary to the accusations that are coming to light now.

Funny when you read threads or comments sections beneath news articles about us and the conversations always degenerate into a spat between Dons and Hawks supporters, or Cats and Hawks, or Pies and Blues etc... They're so busy fighting and arguing with each other due to longtime rivalries that we get forgotten about lol.

The AFL need to go through GCS management with a big broom - they are weak as piss.

From what I read it sounds like that when Hunt got charged they just put all the guys in a room and asked for a show of hands of who did drugs with him.

Talk about amateur hour. That is the environment you ask a question if you want to expedite any sort of due process, get no real answers, alienate players who want to disclose from those that don't and sweep the issue under the carpet. Surely you afford every player on the list some degree of confidentiality by asking these questions in a one-on-one setting so that they can provide an honest answer to really tough questions.

Now management have created a pretty poor situation where the bigger issue, as far as I'm concerned anyway, is that some of the players have effectively lied to/mislead management, as opposed to the taking of illicit drugs on their time off. This is where I see the real culture issue in that people at the club are not being honest with each other.

I would be pretty confident that if management had gone about it the right way from the start and actually wanted to know the truth, approached players one-on-one, they would have had a better chance of getting honest responses and having put this resolved and dealt with within the club, without having to be so reactionary to the accusations that are coming to light now.

They where asked a question , did you want them to be put ala spanish inquisition style , tortured and beaten to a pulp. As far as anyone knows the players could be telling the truth and Hunt is telling porkies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back